da Vinci hyst: did your GYN refer you, or did you find a surgeon on your own? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

da Vinci hyst: did your GYN refer you, or did you find a surgeon on your own? da Vinci hyst: did your GYN refer you, or did you find a surgeon on your own?

Unread 06-20-2008, 06:52 PM
da Vinci hyst: did your GYN refer you, or did you find a surgeon on your own?

This is a question particularly for those of you who are having/have had da Vinci surgery: did the doctor who originally recommended a hyst offer or refer you for the da Vinci procedure, or did you seek it out on your own after being offered a different type of hyst?

My doc has recommended a supracervical hyst (because of adenomyosis and fibroids causing severe pain/bleeding problems) along with removal of an unidentified, tangerine-sized mass where my (previously removed) right ovary used to be; he is only willing/able to do this by open abdominal incision. The hospital in our area has a da Vinci robot, but my doc doesn't do that type of procedure; he also says that because I have a long history of endo and adhesions, an enlarged uterus, and this extra mystery mass, trying to get everything out laparoscopically would probably be difficult and more prone to complications than a traditional SAH.

My doc comes very highly recommended by other medical professionals and has an excellent reputation as a surgeon, and in general I trust him. I'm tentatively booked for SAH with him on July 29. However, I'm thinking about meeting with another local surgeon who is trained on the da Vinci robot to see if I would be a candidate for that procedure, since I understand the recovery can be easier than with open surgery. (I've had two laps for endo and even those were no walk in the park.) Have any of you had to seek out a new doctor specifically for this surgery? If so, any advice?

Thanks in advance,
Fillyjonk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Da Vinci (Long)

Hey There,

Well, I'm having Da Vinci but the way I got there was a little weird. I had a huge period in January and was nauseous and just plain sick for about 3 weeks.(lost 15 lbs) My reg MD was out and I had to talk the other doc into the fact that it was NOT my IBS and something was wrong. Long story short - tests,etc. diagnosed with cyst on ovary, possible Adenomyosis, Endometriosis, PID, adhesions, etc. and I have no OB/GYN, because all of the Doctors (male) that I have seen for any problems the last ten years or so have done NOTHING. They referred me to a OB/GYN in MAY - yes - 4 months later. I knew I was suffering too much to wait. In the meantime, I tried to get into several female doctors - all couldn't see me for several months.

In March, a friend who works (high up) at the hospital mentioned that Da Vinci was the only way to go when I commented that I just was sick of being ill and wanted a HYST. In the meantime, I was still calling around to see who could get me in and when. I happened to look on our Hospital's web site one day and they had a list of Dr.'s who do it. I called a female Dr. that was on the list - and finally - after probably 20 calls to different doctors, they finally understood my urgency and got me in that week.(by then I had dropped 32 lbs in about 3 months - down to 104 lbs - and totally terrified, in major pain quite often and honestly beginning to freak out) I had a few more tests, saw her twice and the second time she offerred options - including hyst and I jumped on it. "Sure, works for me - how soon can we do it?" She mentioned Da Vinci and that I would be good to go from 2-4 weeks after and the rest is history...or will be.

I'm really looking forward to doing this Da Vinci style. From what I understand it can cut the recovery time in half, usually has less time in the hospital, blood loss is extremely limited, and the dexterity of the robot along with the excellent visual quality of the camera make this an awesome surgery. Every medical professional who has found out that I am doing Da Vinci seems really impressed and they all tell me that it's a great thing and that I'll "LOVE IT" From some of the medical journals, etc. that I have read - Da Vinci and methods like it are truly the wave of the future.....

NOW - Is it right for everybody??? I don't know..I know there are some limitations with lap, and that things can also be done vaginally with the aid of the Da Vinci also. I've read of some positive things on this board and some really amazing recovery times. Honestly, it's worth looking into...can't hurt to check and then use all your information and go with your gut....I think most women have an excellent instinct about what will be best for our bodies.

To be honest, by the time I got into to see this Doc I would have agreed to anything...that's how debilitated I had become. I joke that I would have gone to Mexico and paid a guy $100 to do it with a rope and a burro. hehehe - Thank the lord for my new Ob/Gyn

Sorry so long...Blessings and good luck
TANK
Unread 06-21-2008, 06:30 AM

Hello Ladies; I had my Davinci on June 2. I had endometrial cancer, Grade 1, Stage 1B. My gyn found it and sent me to a gyn oncologist here in my town who is just training on the Davinci. He took one look at me and said "it would be malpractice for me to give you the belly cut." So he sent me to the gyn oncologist surgeons in another town who are training him on the Davinci. Mind you, I had cancer so there were no other options for me, it all had to come out. I am 5'4" and weigh 113 lbs., am a yoga teacher for 20 years so the first gyn oncologist I saw simply felt that since I was in good shape for a 54 year old woman with cancer, let's do this the nice way for her! I'm grateful for that because I was ready to get that cancer out of me any old way I tell you. It's been a sweet recovery and I only have the 5 teeny incisions on my abdomen. The surgeon had me get an MRI of the abdomen before the surgery so he could get a look at my inner anatomy before he started, so my incisions essentially go straight across, just above the navel. Lymph nodes were taken out also. Just a teeny tumor in the uterus itself, everything else was clear. I had the surgery on a Monday, came home on Tuesday, felt lousy on Wednesday so I took 4 motrin, 3 on Thursday, 1 on Friday and now it's 18 days later and that was it. My one complaint is my bladder, I can't seem to empty it completely right now so I'm wearing a Poise pad to catch the dribbles. I'm not liking that at all, but we'll see how it goes. Davinci is the way to go if you have the option. Be healthy ladies and good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Da Vinci

Hi
I am scheduled for the Da Vinci 7/3. I knew nothing about it and just happened to have my onc out sick when I needed to be seen for heavy bleeding and saw another onc in the same office, after seeing him a few times and trying some surgery alternatives. Was told that risks are getting to great and needed the surgery. He just happened to be one of three docs in the area that do it!
You can go to the Da Vinci website at http://www.davincihysterectomy.com/index.aspx and go to surgeon locator.
Why not at least consult about it?
Unread 06-21-2008, 08:53 AM

I had daVinci/TLH and it was awesome. If you are a candidate for it I would say go for it but know that there is still always the chance they will have to open you up anyways. That didn't happen for me. I am 11 days out of surgery and feel great. I even walked a mile yesterday and I wasn't doing that BEFORE surgery. My gyno was trained in use of the robot so I didn't have to go anywhere else. If it is something you are interested in I would at least talk to another doctor who is specilized in it. Get a copy of your med records and just make a consultation appointment, it can't hurt.

My dr was going to try to do a TVH and if it didn't work he would do the robot. I was so glad he did. I think I am healing up nicely. I only have 4 little incisions, one going into my belly button, two on the left side and one on the right side all below my navel. I didn't have stitches on the outside, just steri-strips and they have all come off. The incisions look good and when I go for my checkup Monday i am going to ask the dr about something for scars to see what he says but either way they are small and smooth.
Unread 06-21-2008, 09:48 AM

My gyn thought I would be a candidate ( and I am a plus size girl) and referred me to a gynecologic oncologist since they are the only docs trained on the robot. It never hurts to get a second opinion, I think it's important. I had a uterus equal to a 20-22 week fetus with a large fibroid and ovarian cysts (1 on the left, 2 on the right, 1 which was over 9cm). He had to open due to the severe endometriosis I had on the right. He was afraid he would nick the ureter. He was able to remove the uterus vaginally and I never had children. Good luck with your surgery. See you on the other side.
Unread 06-21-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgxr20
My gyn thought I would be a candidate ( and I am a plus size girl) and referred me to a gynecologic oncologist since they are the only docs trained on the robot.
My dr isn't a gyno/onc and he did my daVinci surgery so it must be an area thing as to who is trained to use it.
Unread 06-21-2008, 09:51 AM

Thanks so much for all of your replies. It's especially useful to know that some of you have had complicated conditions, adhesions, etc. but were able to go through the da Vinci surgery successfully without converting to an abdominal incision. I've made an appointment to see a da Vinci doctor in a couple of weeks -- we'll see what she says. Fingers crossed. If I am a candidate, I hope I can get scheduled soon -- I can barely take any more of this pain, blood loss, and anemia, and I want the "mystery mass" out of me ASAP!

Thanks again,
Fillyjonk
Unread 06-21-2008, 09:53 AM

I think you will be very glad if you are able to have daVinci. It really is a great way to have the surgery.
Unread 06-21-2008, 05:44 PM

There's a great video on the daVinci right on this website - go to the Resources tab at the top of this page, the select Surgery Videos. I am not having this procedure (I will have a TAH/BSO) but I watched it because it gives a good show on how the organs are dissected and removed. I was very impressed with the daVinci technique.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register