anemia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-21-2008, 07:27 AM
anemia

I feel stupid in asking, as I should have asked at the doctors' office during pre-op...I am due for TAH on Tuesday the 24th, and the hospital has scheduled me to come in Sunday morning to draw blood within the 48 hour window of my surgery, so I have my own blood on hand for transfusion I assume...My question is this, how much blood are they going to take, and do I need to have someone drive me....I am terribly anemic now-get light headed just standing up.
Any thoughts?????

onlyhisangel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2008, 07:35 AM
anemia

I could not say how much they are going to take. If they are taking it to have on hand in case you need it, it will be at least one full unit, if they are taking it to run more tests on, it will bel ess.
I would definately have someone drive you, as if you get light headed just standing, I would not want you driving after a blood draw.
Is there someone at the Docs office or hosp that you can call?
Unread 06-21-2008, 07:46 AM
anemia

I had a blood count of 7 before surgery. I had 3 tubes taken at pre op on a Friday. I went in Monday and received blood. I got 2 units/bags of packed red blood cells for anemia. My blood count went up to a 10. It took like 6 hours to get the blood. I kept my IV and went home. My surgery was the next morning.
You will get blood drawn to cross and match your blood for transfusion.....not to give for your surgery if you need it. You cant donate your blood if your anemic. A doctor taking it before surgery to check counts is normal. Im sure you will be transfused if your anemic bad like i was. The surgery couldnt be done otherwise. Id be glad to answer anything you wanna know. I had to wear a red bracelet showing id be getting blood when i went home from pre op. I knew i was anemic before. They were gonna have me go to the hospital for cross type and match. but they used my pre op blood work. I didnt wanna be poked again and loose more blood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2008, 07:49 AM
anemia

i agree..its probably not to give blood for a transfusion..its to check your hemoglobin and other levels. if your count is too low, you could need a transfusion before surgery.
Unread 06-21-2008, 07:55 AM
anemia

I had my preop Thurs and they took 3 little vials. I assume they would have called if my levels were too low for surgery- I've been bleeding a little every day- but this morning I bled more. Will they check my iron just before surgery also? There is some connection between my emotions and bleeding (my doc. didn't seem to agree- but it's happened too many times) Trying to keep the feeling that everything is going to be ok - but worried.
Unread 06-21-2008, 08:02 AM
anemia

Your levels must be low if your going back tomorrow. Id ask when your there. Please let us know what happens. You said you were anemic....What was your count? Have you been taking iron?
Unread 06-21-2008, 08:09 AM
anemia

thank you for all your replies...I too was told I was getting a red bracelet (fashion accessory) I must have misunderstood..and like you say it must just be for a cross check...I was a 7 also 3 weeks ago and with 325 mg of iron twice a day, i am up to 8. Good news is that I didn't have my period this month.....it is the first time since I was 13 years old that I have missed a period....doc says *I am storing my blood for surgery*. Amazing how the body picks up on that....I think it is just the massive stress...
DH wants to go golfing tomorrow....was going to postpone becuz he didn't know if i would need someone to drive me....this news will definitely make him smile.
Thank you again!!!
Onlyhisangel
Unread 06-21-2008, 08:11 AM
anemia

I'm not anemic but I still had to have a blood draw for cross and match in case I did need a transfusion. I did this about 5 days before my surgery and the send me home in a beautiful little red bracelet that I was not allowed to lose. I think they do this for everyone and it is only a few tubes of blood they take. Unless you are already severly anemic, it shouldn't make you dizzy or lightheaded and you should be okay to drive yourself home. I did and was fine.
Unread 06-21-2008, 08:12 AM
anemia

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyhisangel
thank you for all your replies...I too was told I was getting a red bracelet (fashion accessory) I must have misunderstood..and like you say it must just be for a cross check...I was a 7 also 3 weeks ago and with 325 mg of iron twice a day, i am up to 8. Good news is that I didn't have my period this month.....it is the first time since I was 13 years old that I have missed a period....doc says *I am storing my blood for surgery*. Amazing how the body picks up on that....I think it is just the massive stress...
DH wants to go golfing tomorrow....was going to postpone becuz he didn't know if i would need someone to drive me....this news will definitely make him smile.
Thank you again!!!
Onlyhisangel
Funny thing. I had my surgery because of bleeding 25 days out of the month but from about a month before my surgery I didn't bleed a drop. It is funny how that happens.
Unread 06-21-2008, 10:00 AM
anemia

good luck...............

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register