keeping the cervix? why? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

keeping the cervix? why? keeping the cervix? why?

Unread 06-24-2008, 07:39 AM
keeping the cervix? why?

Everybody has an opinion.

So, I'm at the psychiatrist this morning and mention (I only see him about every 4 months to talk about my meds) that I'm getting a hysterectomy and they are removing just my left ovary and my uterus.

He then was like, "Why are they keeping the cervix? You don't need that. And you can get cervical cancer still, why don't they just remove it?"

So I said they're keeping whatever is healthy in me, no need to remove that which is healthy.

But now I'm wondering, should I get the cervix removed? OMG, what if my surgeon is incompetent, why didn't he say "yeah, let's remove it!"? Why would I have to keep it? Why? Why? Why?

I'm in total doubt about what I'm going to do because of one question from my psychiatrist. Everybody has an opinion.

A friend of mine asked if there's a history of cervical cancer in my family (no) and have I always had normal pap smears (yes) so she told me not to worry about it, keep it in, just because you have a cervix doesn't mean you'll get cervical cancer.

Anyway, should I talk to the surgeon about removing the cervix? What are the pros and cons for keeping or not keeping it? Am I just freaked out because it's now only a little over two weeks til surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2008, 07:51 AM
keeping the cervix? why?

I opted to keep my cervix - everything else is gone. My surgeon and I discussed it at great length. He encourage me to keep it b/c it can help provide support for my bladder as well as the vaginal walls. His theory is don't take anything out that is healthy - like you said.

I had a million doubts before my surgery as well so I called my docs office and set up an appt just to go over my million questions. They tried to tell me that I could do that at my pre-op but I said I didn't want to wait until 3 days before my surgery. I met with my doc about 2 weeks before the surgery and sat with him for 35 mins getting answers. After that appt, I felt secure in my decision to have the surgery done. Only you and your doc know what is right for you. Everyone else just thinks that they have to give you advice and share their stories and you will hear some doozies up til your surgery. My best advice to you is TUNE IT OUT and do what you feel is best for YOU!

Good luck with everything! Keep us posted!
Unread 06-24-2008, 07:51 AM
keeping the cervix? why?

i didnt want my healthy cervix or ovaries removed for a couple reasons. i had read a lot of articles and thought it helped with future pelvic support, i did not want a vaginal cuff or extra recovery from having one, i enjoy my cervix being bumped during intercourse...and i dont mind having yearly pap smears.
if you followed your psychiatrists line of thinking..why leave the right ovary...you can still get ovarian cancer. you cant really think like that unless theres a strong history of personal or family cancers. its really a personal decision and you have to do what feels right to you...good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2008, 07:56 AM
keeping the cervix? why?

I'm keeping my cervix for the same reasons - pelvic support, sex, etc. If it's healthy, I'd rather keep it!!
Unread 06-24-2008, 10:25 AM
keeping the cervix? why?

>>Tune it out>>

BEST advice ever! Thanks!!!
Unread 06-24-2008, 10:26 AM
keeping the cervix? why?

Thanks. I'm feeling much better and with further reading there definitely are some pluses to keeping it.
Unread 06-24-2008, 11:55 AM
keeping the cervix? why?

I kept my cervix, but both ovaries are gone now.
Unread 06-24-2008, 12:12 PM
keeping the cervix? why?

Hi Oreocookies,

I also kept my cervix with my LSH.

Try not to worry. My Dr. told me that cervical cancer occurs in 3% or less of women. That means 97% of women do not get it. That was good odds for me. As you said..you want to keep your cervix since it is healthy. Also, I read on Hyster Sisters that over 70% of that 3% also have a HPV. Since I did not have a HPV..that just added to my decision to keep my cervix.

My Dr. also reconfirmed what other ladies replied. My Dr. told me that he thought the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. That has been true for me. Also, the cervix secretes a mucus that helps to lubricate the vagina.

Hope that helps.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 06-24-2008, 06:13 PM
keeping the cervix? why?

That helps a lot!! Thank you all so much.
Unread 06-24-2008, 08:01 PM
keeping the cervix? why?

Hi oreocookies!

A fairly recent scientific study shows that hysterectomy patients who have their cervix removed are no more likely to experience sexual difficulties or urinary or bowel problems after surgery than women who have only their uterus removed. You can read more about it here:

Total Versus Sub-Total Hysterectomy

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy which means my cervix was removed. Prior to having my hysterectomy, while going about my daily routine of life, I never was “aware” of my cervix, just as I am unaware of other internal organs. So it stands to reason that losing my cervix hasn’t made any difference to me. (Except that I never need to have annual PAP smears which is a relief since that's not an activity I ever enjoyed.)

Others, who retained their cervix, claim that keeping it has been a benefit to them. However, since they have never experienced life without a cervix, they have nothing with which to compare it. Perhaps they would also be pleased with their surgical results if their cervix had been removed.

If you are a patient who has a choice whether or not to keep your cervix, I hope that, in partnership with your doctor, you choose the option that ends up being the best one for you.

Many s and Best Wishes,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register