Surgical Menopause - Irritability | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgical Menopause - Irritability Surgical Menopause - Irritability

Unread 06-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Surgical Menopause - Irritability

i had a lavh/bso 7 weeks ago and am experiencing hot flashes, insomnia and irritability. my doctor prescribed premarin, but was still debating whether to take it or not. so i called my doctor today to ask him if taking the premarin will help with irritability. his response was that irritability is not caused by menopause and that he doesn't have a menopause patient who complains about irritability. anyone else experiencing irritability during menopause? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2008, 07:51 AM

That is bologna! Wacky hormones, whether too low or too high, CAN cause irritability! I have experienced both. Some doctors are so clueless!
Unread 06-25-2008, 08:02 AM

Hi

Well, honestly, a lack of sleep will make me irritable every time. While it may or may not be directly linked to the hormones, it seems logical to me that it could certainly be a secondary side affect.

Is there a reason you don't want to use estrogen? Normally functioning ovaries continue to produce small amounts of estrogen for the rest of our lives and aids in certain body/brain functions. I do take estrogen, but at a dose which just keeps my levels at what they would be if I were in natural menopause. I know I don't function well at all without my estrogen supplement.

A certain amount of insomnia is very normal following surgery. I was helped by taking a very low dose of melatonin every other night. If I used it every night it seemed to lose it's effectiveness for me. Hot flashes are caused by hormone fluctuation, and even with estrogen supplements may continue until your own body's stored supply is depleted.

s
Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2008, 12:25 PM

Jennifer - thanks for making me laugh. i had the same thought -- a bunch of bologna -- when he said that.

Kay - my insomnia is not that bad and i find that if i exercise and don't take a nap, i sleep pretty good. i've heard so many bad things about estrogen, but after i talked with my doctor yesterday, i did take it last night. he also recommended vitamin b complex, so i've started that also. i thought that i need to give it a try because the irritability is interferring in my daily life. thanks for your reply.
Unread 06-25-2008, 01:14 PM

Is he kidding????? After reading some of the previous posts I would say our moods do change. I had already been through menopause for 5 years prior to my recent hysterectomy. I went through the hot flashes (which I still get one once in a while) and still battle insomnia (which my doc recommended OTC sleep aids) since then. But I have noticed since my surgery I can become a BEAST at times. Things really aggrivate me and some people just have a way of getting under my skin. I was always the kind, quiet, help everyone and worry about everyone except myself. Now WATCH OUT!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!! Some days it is so bad some of my co-workers think I have gone Glad to know I am not the only one who has experienced a change. I guess we all just have to in there. At least we have each other.
Unread 06-25-2008, 01:15 PM

Some male OBGYN's just don't get it. Yes, hormones can make you feel that way. I have a female doctor and I have really been glad. Men just have to try their best understanding some of the symptoms. I have had males that I like in the past but now at this time in life, I can see the difference.

The patch is helpful to a lot of people without using the horse like Prem. I like going through the skin and not using a pill also.

It can take a bit of time to find the right amount to relieve symtoms. But it can make daily life, sleep etc. easier.
Unread 06-25-2008, 01:36 PM

thanks everyone for making me feel much better!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register