Can uterus issues cause bowel issues? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can uterus issues cause bowel issues? Can uterus issues cause bowel issues?

Unread 06-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Can uterus issues cause bowel issues?

This is going to be a tmi gross post, but I am curious since these issues started about the time my uterus issues did. I was just putting this problem together with eating since it seems to happen shortly after I eat. So shortly after I eat, now it does not happen everytime, but over 1/2 the time, I have diarehha. Now it is usually not 1 episode but I am in the bathroom 2 to 4 times each episode.

Now back several years ago when this all started my old ob said maybe my pains were intestinal related since the intestine runs down the right side. So he ordered a colonoscopy, which did not show a thing.

So I am just curious if it could be related to these uterus issues or if it is something else, any idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2008, 09:22 PM

Diarrhea is very common with endometriosis and adenomyosis (endo of the uterus), especially the second two weeks of the cycle and during menst. Have you ever noticed a pattern? I don't know if it can happen with other uterine problems. Don't worry, I don't think you're grossing anybody out around here!!!!!
Unread 06-27-2008, 09:30 PM

I am thinking there is some relationship, but whether it is hormonal or not, I don't know. I asked a similar question about fibroids and heartburn a couple days ago. I was surprised to find that others had similar experiences as my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2008, 09:34 PM

Bowels and Female parts are extremely interactive. I have had IBS for decades, and my period always sets off a bout of Diarrhea about a day before or day of starting. Also, I am usually very constipated (I mean seriously - I fight it almost all the time - and yet I am extremely regular only during my period. About two years ago I started having pain also around my ovulation date, it took me awhile to figure out that that, too would set off a bout of Diarrhea or could just throw my IBS off. For a lot of people eating can cause their bowels to "kick in" to gear, females or not.

I've researched it a bit, and many studiesare researching and have already studied links between bowel problems and female problems, but there is so much variance from person to person, that there had been trouble finding conclusive evidence. My Female troubles were put off as part of my IBS until I fought to have tests done...then, and only then did all the Dr's realize that I was right and there was a problem. I have known for some time that my female stuff greatly effects my bowels. I am also praying that my hyst will also help aleve some of the IBS problems that have really worsened since my Uterus turned on me.....I guess we'll see.

Don't ever worry about TMI on this board...I think we've all heard, read, worried about all sorts of "gross" things that are just simple facts of our problems and are upcoming Hysts.

Blessings
Tank
Unread 06-27-2008, 10:11 PM

Thanks. I am trying to decide if I even bring it up with my dr or if I just wait until after my hyst and see what happens. When I was younger my mom said they said I probably had IBS, but never did any tests. I think it is so easy just to say it is IBS.

I really have not paid attention to a pattern, but it seems like it happens all too often. Right now I am mid cycle should o any day now. Maybe I should keep track for the next month.

See and I thought I found a website that said adenomyosis could cause diareha, but now I can't find it. And my dr said my MRI showed mild adenomyosis.
Unread 06-27-2008, 10:55 PM

HaveHope,

You may have IBS and, but it's so hard to diagnose. I wouldn't bring it up unless you want to to an upper/lower GI and colonoscopy along with all the girl test you've done. IBS just pretty much becomes the diagnosis when your bowels are really messed up for a long time and they can't find a physiological reason. I have done more GI tests than I would like to recall (all with severe bowel prep) and have tried a ton of drugs, therapies, diets, etc. I don't do the tests or their drugs, etc. anymore because it never gets me anywhere. If you do have IBS, it is definately effected by female stuff....but the diagnosis doesn't get you much. I wouldn't worry about it too much and just concentrate on your female issues for now. It's not like you don't already have enough on your plate....and if you need to chat...I'm here.

Blessings
TANK aka Karla
Unread 06-27-2008, 11:07 PM

Thanks. I did already have a colonoscopy which I was told came out fine. So been there done that and don't want to do that again. I am thinking I will wait and see how the surgery goes and than if I still have issues maybe I will go see a gastro dr. I guess I am just really bothered by it today since I was out for a long day and had to stop in several public bathrooms. I hate that, it is so embarrassing. Oh and last saturday we were at a family thing, luckily we were close to home and I just made the excuse I had to run home and change the baby, but than made the mistake of going back and had to shortly run back home and I stayed home at that point.
Unread 06-28-2008, 09:25 PM

I was also told I have IBS. It's been acting up a lot this past week/wkend. We went out to eat last night and as soon as we were finished and paid, I told dh we had to hurry home. We were close to home thank goodness, made it in time.
A couple days ago same thing happened while in Blockbuster. Barely got in the door and started looking and all of a sudden told dh we had to leave now!! ugh
Why does it always seem to happen when you're somewhere else and not at home?? Not that it doesn't flare up at home, but more when we're out.
Unread 06-29-2008, 01:05 PM

[i]I don't have IBS but I do have bowel problems, I know sometimes they are associated with my period its part of my PMS symptoms.IT has been that way for me since a few years after starting my periods. I get diarrhea for like 3 or 4 days before a period and gas and all the other wonderful PMS symptoms. So I would say there is a correlation. I also have the bowel problems at other times now for the last 4 years,because I have developed what they call diabetic neuropathy(autonomic)I have no constipation so its not IBS I just have recurring consistent diarrhea and organ spasms . I have had many tests( 4 colonoscopies and upper GI's) done in 3 years to find this out. I do suggest you wait and see how your system is doing say 2 or 3 months post op . It may go away if associated with your periods. IF not look into it further. I know one thing I will be so happy to be done with this feeling like I've been hit by a truck for 10 days when I have a period. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 06-29-2008, 01:35 PM

I was sure my bowel problems were related to my female problems. At hyst doc found my bowels were adhered to my uterus and had to be peeled off. Also bladder and ovaries. Only 2 weeks post op but hope my problems clear up now. Doing a google search of endo should show that a symptom of endo is bowel problems. Thats when I first thought to make the connection between the two. It would hurt so bad when I went sometims that I would see spots. Diaharra with cycle.... long story short, yes I believe there is a connection.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register