Catheter? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Catheter?

Do all women undergoing hysterectomies have a catheter inserted into the bladder? I will have a TAH BSO. Does the type of surgery make a difference? Were you already asleep when the catheter was inserted? How long did it remain in place?

I'm hoping 1. not to have one, or 2. have it inserted after I'm asleep and removed prior to waking up. Do either of these scenarios ever happen?

I won't see my doctor for my pre-op for 4 weeks; this is a great resource for me.

Thanks for any comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Catheter?

Don't know the answer about everyone having one, but it seems to me yes.
Surgery was at 7:30 am and they inserted it when I was out. Nurse removed later that evening around 6:30. I was a determined girl though. As soon as they let me drink I was drinking cranberry juice and water like crazy. Filled the thing three times and I think the nurse was ready to let me do it on my own.
Bad new was I was up every hour that night peeing. Got to the point I stopped calling the nurse until I was done so she could record my output.
Was probably my least favorite thing about the procedure, other than the IV. But I was in a medicated fog so I barely remember it now.
Best wishes.

Julie
6/24/08 LAVH
Unread 06-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Catheter?

If your having a abdominal hysterectomy you will have a cath. They will put it in when your asleep. Depending on how your doing depends on when they take it out. If you have any bladder issues during surgery then you'll have it in longer. Thats just my experience. My last surgery I had it in for 3 days and when I had my SAH I had to come home with it for 2 weeks . It's not as bad as you think.

Take Care Sherrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Catheter?

Mine was inserted while I was asleep and removed after I was up and walking around OK the next day.

You don't want to have to get up to the bathroom while you are immediately postop.... you need a little time to rest.

Mine never bothered me.. it was my best friend for a while.
Unread 06-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Catheter?

Hi there,

My catheter was also inserted after I was asleep, and also removed the next morning ...I agree, it helped having it in place, because it would have been extremely difficult/painful to get up to use the restroom that first night.

When mine was removed, the nurse asked me to take in a deep breath, then exhale fully right as it was being pulled out--I must say, this was very helpful, and I really didn't feel much except a slight bit of burning that went away immediately--maybe you could ask your nurse about that if necessary...

I wish you all the best for an uneventful surgery & speedy recovery

Sincerely, Trish
Unread 06-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Catheter?

I believe everyone has a catheter inserted. Mine was inserted after I was asleep. My surgery was at 3:30pm. Taken to my room at 11 pm. Woke up at 7 am, catheter was taken out by 8am and I was walking the halls at 9 am. My nurse was excellent, didn't feel her take it out. I had no trouble urinating after the catheter was removed. Good luck with your surgery. I hope you have a great recovery and see you on the other side.
Unread 06-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Catheter?

I had mine inserted when I was asleep also. They took it out the next day, when I was able to get out of bed. It is wonderful to have the catheter at that time after surgery. They can see if the kidneys are working and it lets us rest when we are not able to get up yet.
Unread 06-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Catheter?

A catheter is really important during this type of surgery because a full bladder would make it difficult to work in an area where there isn't a lot of room anyway. Also, a full bladder would be at a much higher risk for damage while the surgeon is in there just because of it's location in relation to the other organs. It's really a very small tube with a tiny balloon at the end that's inflated after it's inserted after you're asleep. The little balloon keeps it in position and prevents it from falling out. When it's time to take out the catheter, the water in the balloon is removed and the catheter slips out very easily.
Unread 06-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Catheter?

I had a LAVH June 18th. I've been catheterized 3 or 4 times. I've NEVER been awake when they inserted the catheter. I've always been awake when they remove it. Only once was it painful. My suggestion is to let the nurse know that you are anxious about it being removed and to PLEASE be sure it is completely deflated before it is removed. (there is a tiny balloon type thing that is inflated to keep it in, it is deflated before removal). It has only been painful that one time, otherwise, I hardly knew they removed it.

Good luck!
Unread 06-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Catheter?

My experience was pretty much the same as everyone else has posted. I was asleep before it was placed and they removed it about 8:30 the next morning and I was up and using the bathroom by 10:00am. I had no trouble whatsoever this time around and the only other trouble I have ever had is getting my bladder to relax enough to go pee once they removed the catheter. In that case, I was given a peri bottle to fill with warm water and squirt on myself..sounds really weird I know but it worked every time!! Didn't need it this time around but the nurses had one ready for me just in case!!
Vickie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register