Abdominal Hysterectomy - TAH 4 days post op & feeling great | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal Hysterectomy - TAH 4 days post op & feeling great Abdominal Hysterectomy - TAH 4 days post op & feeling great

Unread 06-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Abdominal Hysterectomy - TAH 4 days post op & feeling great

I've always had painful periods, but thought that was the norm. I went on the pill once for 10 months and had no pain, but put on 20 lbs and lost my libido, so gave up on contraception except for condoms and it worked for me. But back to painful periods. Two years after getting married, we gave up on condoms and used the rhythm method, although my doctor said that was not a form of contraception, that worked for me too. I have never been pregnant. Thought I was once, but it was stress.

About two years ago I had an irregular pap smear and had a LEEP/LOOP ? for CIN-2, disordered cell growth of the cervix and all was well after that. About five months after that, my periods changed, the pain was different, longer, sex was painful. Dr said it was probably adenomyosis and offered me Mirena IUD. I looked it up and knowing myself, figured I would end up suffering from the side effects because I was already pre-disposed that way. So I tried Serrapeptase enzymes to help with the pelvic congestion and natural progesterone cream. I was also supposed to cut out all sources of xenoestrogens from deodorants, lotions, cosmetics, detergents, foods. The list seemed impossible. I did what I could. But they didn't work. Only my orgasms felt different. I worked my way through painkillers with my dr, but to no avail.

Stress would make my symptoms a whole lot worse too, and I couldn't figure out how to eliminate that. My dr suggested hysterectomy, vaginal or abdominal. He had seen at least two types of fibroids too, but they were small. I tried my alternative remedies and struggled to hold on to my uterus. Finally in May this year, the period pain sent me straight to the phone to schedule the hysterectomy. I was vomiting and screaming and 30 mg codeine did absolutely nothing. Other painkillers had made me nauseous, dizzy. So June was set, after my next period. I had to go through another one! eeks. Interestingly, it lasted for 12 days this time, must have known something was up.

Anyhoo, my TAH was on June 26 at around 7.30a. My dr was going to try for a TVH, but since I have never had children, we didn't think there would be much success, but he did try for an hour. I followed all directions given me and helpful hints from hystersisters regarding pre-op, especially when packing for the hospital, cleaning house before hand and preparing for gas pains. (this becomes important afterward).

5 days before surgery, I cut out simple carbs like white flour, white sugar, white rice etc. Don't really eat much of them anyway and stopped eating garlic with food because garlic is a blood thinner. My Hb was over 12 after my last period a week before the surgery so I was in good shape and didn't take the iron tablets because they didn't agree with me anyway. I stopped gas-forming foods like beans, broccoli, cauliflower, carbonated drinks, etc about 4-5 days before. Upped my fruit intake of papaya and mangoes, they help with my constipation. The day before surgery I was allowed breakfast and then only clear fluids until evening when it was time for bowel cleansing with Dulcolax.

Arrived at 'castle' 5.30a Thur June 26. Insurance had already sent in all the info. What a relief and surprise they did that in time. My mum and husband were with me. Went upstairs to change into gown and meet anaesthetist. Told him of my nausea with pain meds, so he said they would give me lots of anti-vomiting meds. They wheeled me into the theatre, the table looked so small. I climbed up and my arms were laid out like a cross. I started to shake like a leaf so they covered me with a blanket. The access point in my left hand went in easily. But whatever they put into it burn like crazy up my arm and into my head. They gave me oxygen and seconds later I was out...

Doc said surgery lasted 3 hours and after giving up on the TVH, the TAH went like a textbook. I needed no transfusions. I remember pain and having pain meds around 1p (petadine sp? and gravol). My cousin, mum and husband were talking but I didn't have the strength to open my eyes. I finally did around 5p when they left. I had in a catheter, didn't feel it, and an IV drip. My antibiotics went in my drip, but my pain meds went in my bum and stung. The first day was pain meds and sleep. I could communicate a little and was told to move my legs to prevent blood clots. That was easy enough. I got ice chips later the evening.

Friday morning, the nurses said take it easy, rest. My dr said make sure you move around. My mum and husband came around 10.30am and my mum made me sit up in bed around noon. I have a horizontal incision which later I saw was pretty neat (when they changed the dressing). Getting up was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. One end of the incison burn like nothing I ever felt %^#@. I thought I was tearing something. My mum had been through this, so she said no, your'e just stiff, you need to loosen up. That day was more pain meds, mint tea, broth. My dr saw me in the am and was happy with everything, said I could probably go home the next day.

Well the day after the surgery was all go. I kept down the broth, and my urine output was good so they took me off the IV and removed the catheter. That was a bit of a wince. Later my dr called and said to remove the vaginal packing (from the attempted TAH I guess). That was exquisite agony. Seemed like it took her 10 minutes of unraveling yards of material that was pulling on the walls of my vagina. It is still sore, 4 days post op. Shortly after that, my bladder emptied itself completely. That felt really great. I was able to urinate normally two or three times after that, but used the bedpan. Didn't want to try that getting out of bed thing again with the burning. I slept on my side that night.

Saturday morning, 2 days post-op at 5.40a, the nurses came in and said, time to get up and freshen yourself, we have to change your bed. What no help? Go ahead, off you go. I rollled out of bed, gathered up my things, and did as I was told, sponged off, brushed teeth and hair, had a pee, put on street clothes all before 6a. I am not a morning person. When I came out they were gone and I was a bit stunned. The day before they had put a waterproof covering on my dressing so I could shower normally. I saved that treat for the next day.

So until breakfast came and my antiobiotic, I walked the halls. Had a nap, walked some more. 'Ran' into my dr in the hall just before my family came and he said what are you doing here still? Examined me, gave my my discharge instructions and prescriptions, chatted with my family and we left after that. On Friday I am to see him to remove the stitches. Stay on soft foods until a normal bowel movement.

Sunday was more resting and walking, antibiotics and milder painkiller. Got bored with soft food and had normal food. Took Dulcolax stool softener last night as recommended by hystersisters. Watched a movie too. Didn't nap. I can bend over too to pet the cats and dog.

I am writing this on Monday. The burning pain from the stitch is barely there. I am walking pretty strongly and feeling great. Not normal of course, but better every day. Yesterday was still a challenge to get out of bed, but today I have mastered it. And I had a BM!!!

Ah yes, I forgot the story of the gas pain. The day after surgery I felt it. Pain under the incision like nobody's business. &%$#@# Moving my legs seemed to help and I remembered not to force to get it out. I thrashed those legs around to get that gas moving. The dr also gave me a muscle relaxant to help. From then on, moving my legs either in bed or getting up and walking seems to be the only way to keep it away or get it going.

Sorry this was such a long posting, but that was my hyster-story. I found this site by accident after I decided to have the surgery and it has helped me greatly in getting through the most difficult time of my life. Many thanks to all those who contribute and keep this going.

All the best to the hystersisters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register