Nerve damage from surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nerve damage from surgery? Nerve damage from surgery?

Unread 07-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Nerve damage from surgery?

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I had a TAH on the 23rd, and just came home two days ago. (6 days in the hospital).

I've had some mitigating factors that are making this a rougher recovery than normal. I was in extremely weakened condition before surgery. I was also still not recovered from a compression fracture of the spine, which had caused a lot of nerve damage and weakened one leg.

Since surgery, I've had terrible problems with my formerly good leg. Because I'd been through nerve damage with one leg, I recognized that there was a nerve problem right away. The leg is so weak that I actually had a fall while in the hospital. It is getting stronger every day, but I need a walker, and am not considered safe to climb stairs, which is a real problem since I live in an upstairs apartment.

My doctor thinks that a nerve got "stretched" during surgery, and that it should come back just fine, but I'm really worried about it. I was having enough trouble getting around as it was! I'm terrified, because I have to get downstairs to go to the doctor tomorrow, and then back upstairs. The physical therapist who saw me today and assessed me agrees that I have reason to be frightened of the stairs - that I am to weak to deal with them right now. My husband has been a huge help, but he has a hernia, and is not physically strong. There son't be anyone else around tomorrow who will be able to help me with the stairs.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this kind of nerve problem, and how long it lasts. I'm dying to get outdoors and get a breath of fresh air every now and then!

I guess I should be grateful that all other nerves, etvc. seem to be intact,and that I'm getting stronger and picking up a little appetite now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2008, 06:29 PM

I'm sure someone who has had that experience will come along and post.
I surely wish I could be there to help you tomorrow! Be safe. Hugs and prayers to you!
Unread 07-03-2008, 12:16 PM

Hi Bookwoman!
I was beginning to think I was the only one who was experiencing nerve problems post surgery. I had my LAVH with A&P repair on 6/5/08 and have had numbness to my right leg from the knee to ankle since the surgery. It is driving me crazy...though I am not having any difficulty walking, the decreased sensation feels so weird that I can't stand to touch it! It feels like my leg is asleep. My doc also said it was probably due to the position I was in in surgery and that it should clear up; however, it has NOT. She is referring me to a neurologist. I am soooo depressed about this and hope its not something that I am going to have to live with! I have no prior history of any neuro problems, so this is all new to me. Let me know how things turn out for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2008, 02:17 PM

Hi Bookwoman, I had surgery last year and woke up with a numb right leg after surgery. My gyn/onc said this is common but the feeling usually returns to normal within the year. My leg was numb for six months and then slowly began to return to normal. I am a year out and when I touch the top of my thigh it still doesn't feel completely normal but most of the feeling is back and it doesn't interfere with my activities. Just give it time. Someone said to me that it would take a full year to feel better and at about 9 months I was beginning to think I would never start to feel better but I truly do now at the year point. The B vitamins are really good for helping with nerve repair. You should definitely check with your dr. before taking them though. I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 07-23-2008, 07:09 PM

I can relate to you ladies as well. I woke up from recovery and both my legs were numb. Within the first week all feeling returned to my left leg but the top of my right leg around the crease area is still numb. I am much the same and don't like anything to touch it. Unfortunately no choice in that as I have to wear clothes. I saw my gyno a few days ago for final clearance and he reassurred me that all should be well in the next 6-8 weeks. However I have heard it can take a year to come good. Good luck to everyone with their healing.
Unread 07-26-2008, 06:51 PM

Just a note for the above post. i did not mention that I had light spotting still at 5 weeks. I mentioned this to the gyno who took a swab and sent it off to pathology. I never thought too much about it but I got a call last Friday telling me I had an infection and to start on antibiotics. Just 2.5 days into the antibiotics and I feel soooooooo much better. Even parts around my leg and groin that I thought were caused from numbness feel better. I think part of my numbness problem was probably internal pain mixed in with numbness. So I would suggest to anyone that has numbness to also get their doctor to run some tests for infection. I cannot stress enough just how much better i am feeling and I am only 1/4 of the way through my antibiotics. The numbness out of a scale of 10 (concidering that 2.5 days ago before antibiotics) is now about a 4. Good luck.
Unread 07-26-2008, 08:22 PM

Sorry to hear you are going through this - my thoughts are with you and your family.

I had my TAH this past Monday in which I did not have any problems however I did have something similar during my C-Section a few years back. I had a stretched nerve in which affected my leg in the beginning after physical therapy and about 4 months my leg was fine. I still have a little problem with the nerve endings in my abdomin area. It came in handy this past week when I had my TAH - it does get a little annoying however long term it is not that bad. Try to avoid the stairs if possible ( always easier said than done)

Wishing you a quick recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register