mesh erosion repair anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

mesh erosion repair anyone? mesh erosion repair anyone?

Unread 07-03-2008, 06:20 AM
mesh erosion repair anyone?

When I went for my 6 wk checkup, he said there was a tiny spot of mesh erosion, and he told me to keep using the cream and maybe that will help heal it. He said that is why I am still having some discharge. He said if it has not healed when I go back on the 10th of this month, that he might have to go in a fix it. I was just wondering if anyone else has been through this, and what does it consist of, the repairing of mesh erosion? And do you have to be off work for another period of time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2008, 06:36 AM

I also had mesh erosion. The first line of treatment is Premarin cream. If that doesn't work then the Dr will usually perform a mesh excision where they cut out the small piece of mesh that has eroded through and suture your vaginal tissue over it. The Drs tell you it's a 2 week recovery but I did find it to be longer. My procedure was done in the OR but OrahDeb has had such procedures in the office. OUCH!
Michelle
Unread 07-03-2008, 08:06 AM

Dena--

Sorry you are having this mesh erosion, too. It's rather yucky, isn't it? Just the discharge alone-- .

Like Michelle said, I've had the 'in-office procedure' which in the past I've called the 'in-office torture procedure' which I think appropriate. For me, it was horrific and was like having surgery without anesthesia. It was totally and completely uncalled for and my doctor--who was actually a nice person and who, believe it or not, had a decent bedside manner--did it to try and avoid making me go back to the operating room. Such good intentions--Sheesh. I recommend never letting a doctor do that to you and I mean NEVER. It hurt unbelievably each time (though I told him how awful it was!). One way you can tell if the procedure will hurt you is if it hurts when touched now or if it hurts or aches later after you get home after an exam. I always ached terribly and nearly always got a Migraine afterwards. If it were me going it over again, I'd make sure that any removal is done with anesthesia in the OR.

I also had 3 mesh removal surgeries: 2 partials with that 1st doctor and finally 1 last one with a different doctor who would AT LAST take out the rest of the dreadful mesh. The 1st doctor didn't want to remove the mesh in its entirety because, as he said, it was "still providing such good bladder support". Hah! It was continually eroding the lining of my vagina, is what it was doing. The last one understood that I wanted it O-U-T once and
for all and took out every last bit that he could without damaging the nerves of my bladder. He had far more experience than the first one did and was the second expert I consulted with about removing the nasty stuff because I realized that the first doctor was not going to do the job. There are still a couple 'arms' of it near my bladder because removing them could damage the nerves but the rest is out and I've had no more erosion (thank goodness!!).

As far as recovery is concerned, for each surgery I did have a recovery of about 6 weeks depending on what was done. If you have just a tiny amount removed you may have a shorter recovery. However, like Michelle said, it did take longer sometimes than others.

Hopefully, all will go well for you. Sending many +++ thoughts..... and extra good vibes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2008, 06:45 AM

thanks girls!!
Unread 07-04-2008, 08:55 AM

I had some mesh erosion/extrusion at the top of my vaginal cuff at my 6wk post op appointment. Perhaps I was "lucky" because I was already going in for another surgery to release the bladder sling. So, he excised (sp) the mesh and re-sutured the area at the same time as the sling release.

I'm also supposed to do the premarin cream for the next many weeks to assist in the healing process. It's been 11 days since the last surgery and the discharge has gotten much much better, but I still feel very rough.

As for recovery time... my surgery for the repair was outpatient and I've got a 4 week recovery time for this (minimum). I did have other work done, so I'm not sure if that would be different or not. I had the second surgery almost exactly 7 weeks after my original TAH+.

Let us know how things go.
Unread 07-04-2008, 10:08 AM

I had a mess erosion repair in April during outpatient surgery.. I have use premarin cream since October 07. I am schedule for another repair on July 24 in my drs. office. I was reading Orahdeb reply above and now I am scared having it done in the the office. My dr plan is numbing the area and placing stiches where he want the mesh repair done. My dr is also trying to avoid the operating room again. I really don't have major discomfort done after an exam just during the exam when he touches the area where the erosion is and spotting after. ( I have spotting even without an exam) Should I reconsider having it done in the office ?
Unread 07-04-2008, 04:54 PM

tigercub--

If it makes a difference, my doctor never used any injections to numb me up at all. He only once tried to use a topical anesthetic that didn't help. Perhaps if he had tried to numb me up, I might not have felt any pain?

If you tell him of your concerns, it may help you and he both decide what to do. In retrospect, I really wish I'd gotten something like injections to help make everything numb. I'm sure it would've helped a LOT.

S.....
Unread 07-05-2008, 04:21 AM

Thanks OrahDeb

I have been pm with another member here. She had to work done in the vaginal area in the office. Her dr numbed the area and she said it was not worse then going to a dentist. She said the dr used some lidocaine cream before numbing with needles. I have a fairly large tolarence to pain but just the thought of a needle in the vaginal area scares me to death. The dr said the rest of the area where the mesh is good except for the one area that doesn't seem to want to heal up. Well, I go in 2 weeks we will see what happens.
Unread 07-07-2008, 04:16 PM

This site is wonderful. I have an appointment with a dr. more specialized than my gyn. in tape erosions for July 23. I am a very active athletic person - runner, triathlete, who is pretty much grounded. What exactly did your drs. tell you all about physical activity after the repair surgery? What type of recovery did you have, such as restrictions? I'm ready to have this stuff out! And to think I did it to keep from wetting myself while running. Well, I guess it worked, I sure don't wet myself when I can't run!

Thank you,
Judy
Unread 07-10-2008, 11:36 AM

Well I went back to doc today, and the premarin cream is helping. The spot where the erosion was before was about a 6mm place and this time it was only a 3, so he said the cream seems to be working, and to use it for a couple of more months. So I am glad that he does not think I will have to have another surgery done.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register