Period at time of surgery ~ what happens? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Period at time of surgery ~ what happens? Period at time of surgery ~ what happens?

Unread 07-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Period at time of surgery ~ what happens?

It's possible I might be on mine at that time, and I was wondering since I'm having a TAH do they put a pad or something there during the surgery?
I'm hoping I won't be though. yuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2008, 08:14 AM

Hi blondie08

I didn't have my period at the time of surgery but woke up with a pad anyway! Please try not to worry ~ I'm sure they'll take care of it for you, if that's the case.

I hope some of your ((sisters)) who can relate will be along soon to share.

Sending all good wishes for your surgery!

Unread 07-04-2008, 08:21 AM

I had mine during surgery, but when I woke I just spotted for a day. By the next night it was done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2008, 08:32 AM

my doc has a great sense of humor, I asked him what happens if I am bleeding at time of surgery..he giggled and said "we'll be taking care of that directly.." lol he's a funny guy. but yeah no worries won't affect it.
peace chris
Unread 07-04-2008, 08:34 AM

I started the period on the morning of my surgery. I wore a sticky pad to the hospital and told the nurse. When I had to get undressed and put on the gown, she told me to just kind of hold the pad between my legs since I couldn't go into surgery wearing panties.

When I woke up, there was another pad in place to catch any vaginal discharge but I had very little.
Unread 07-04-2008, 09:12 AM

My period started just a few days before my surgery. It didn't make any difference to my doctor--surgery went ahead as scheduled. I told the nurse when I arrived at the hospital and she handed me a pad along with a lovely pair of disposable mesh panties. Obviously they were removed at some point before the operation started so I could be prepped but I was blissfully unaware due to the Versed given while I was still in the holding area and from the anesthetic for the actual surgery. I had a pad in place after surgery but a panty liner would have been more than enough as I had very little bleeding or discharge after surgery.

Good luck for your big day!

s
Unread 07-04-2008, 09:50 AM

Go in bleeding.......................................Come out not bleeding

No really it's not a problem and they see it all the time. A lot of us bleed so much there is no way to schedule surgery around it.

I wasn't on mine but I still woke up with a pad between my legs to catch any from the vaginal cuff.
Unread 07-04-2008, 09:56 AM

Thanks for asking this question as I too am worried.
My cycle is ever-changing and can be as short as 24 days (I hate that) to 35 days. Lately, it's a short cycle with long periods, which allows my uterus to torture me more each month. The way I figure it, if my body does 24-27 days, I'm guaranteed to be on my cycle. If it goes 28 days this month and next, I'll miss it by a day. Unfortunately, I'm just not that lucky.
Unread 07-04-2008, 10:08 AM

Hi there,

I too was bleeding at the time of my surgery due to having two long cycles that month...doc said not a problem. I went in wearing a pad, and they placed one of those large bed liners on top of my sheet after I had to undress. I too woke up with a pad in place, but only a small amount of discharge for the first 12-18 hours--went home from the hospital pad-free!

I wish you both all the best for an uneventful surgery & a speedy recovery! Please take care.

Sincerely, Trish
Unread 07-04-2008, 03:04 PM

Hey! I was wondering that too!!
If I'm al ittle early, I'll see Auntie Flo' before surgery. I hope not. One last time in July then that's it FOREVER! I've been scheduled for Aug.19/2008.
I work in the hospital and I'm sure it doesn't really matter one way or the other. I will ask the doc though. I'm a tampon girl.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register