Question about post-op lifting restrictions (children mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about post-op lifting restrictions (children mentioned) Question about post-op lifting restrictions (children mentioned)

Unread 07-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Question about post-op lifting restrictions (children mentioned)

Ok, so my lavh is scheduled for July 29th. My husband will be home from work until Aug 7th. My mom will arrive Aug 8th sometime probably late. She will than stay until Aug 23rd.

So my concern that I just realized is this. I have 4 kids with my oldest being almost 10. He is going to be a great help to me. I also have a 7 yr old, 3 yr old and 1 yr old. Well Aug 20th the 2 older ones start school so I will be home all day alone with the 2 younger ones.

Now on my restriction list it says no lifting over 7 to 8 lbs (gallon of milk). They said this restriciton is in place for 6 to 8 weeks. Do you think when the older kids go back to school and my mom leaves I will be able to lift my 1 yr old that soon? I think I am most concerned about nap time which is only once per day and than if I have to drive anywhere how would I get him in and out of his seat?

I don't know if this made any sense at all but I guess it comes down to will I be able to lift my 1 yr old 3 to 4 weeks post op?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2008, 08:44 PM

I am having my TVH on Tuesday and have 3 girls--4yr, 27 months and 11 months. I asked my OB about the lifting and she said that for the first 2 weeks I really need to stick to lifting nothing heavier than the baby--she weighs 17 pounds--but after that to use my judgement. As she put it, life happens and you do what you need to do.

On a side note, at 26wks pg with the last one, I had an emergency appendectomy and was told to lift nothing more than 10 pounds. The middle child weighed about 19 pounds at that time and I lifted her a few times with no problems.

Since you will have help at the beginning that will help immensly. Good luck!
Unread 07-06-2008, 08:48 PM

maggieloop

Really you can lift your 11 month old pretty much right away?

Is your cervix being left?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2008, 09:29 PM

Yep, I confirmed the response from her when she told me and she said that the first 2 weeks, nothing heavier than her and after that to use my judegement.

She's lighter than most other kids her age though. Believe me, I'm only going to lift as needed and nothing beyond what is absolutely neccessary.

I'm keeping the tubes and ovaries, cervix and uterus go.
Unread 07-06-2008, 09:37 PM

Hi there!

My doctor gave me a restriction of no more than 20 pounds for 6 weeks, and she also told me that this did not mean I could go around lifting 19 pounds all the time! The watchwords were "take it easy" and she meant it. However, many other (((sisters))) are given additional restrictions based on their physical condition, the actual procedure being performed, and any additional repairs which need to be made during surgery.

I gave myself a tougher restriction because I tend to be the sort of person who easily overdoes things, so I told myself and my family that I was not going to lift anything more than a gallon of milk for the first six weeks. I stuck to that, even with a 3-year-old in the house.

Once I was cleared to do more, the doctor again cautioned me, telling me to "ease" back into my normal activities, not "dive" back into them. In other words, I was allowed to start doing some lifting, but I wasn't to carry things around, and I was still supposed to be extremely cautious and work my way up. I waited until I was four months post-op to lift my 3-year-old.

FWIW, I think it is extremely unwise to do activities not recommended or approved by your doctor for you. Doesn't matter if 99 out of 100 others were able to do "activity A" (whatever that is) -- if YOUR doctor says no, that means for you.

If your doctor says no more than a gallon of milk, then really, that is what you should adhere to -- no matter what anyone else is allowed to do. I know it's hard, but there are ways to get around lifting much of the time. Set up a changing station on the floor, whatever you need to do.

And seriously, you may need to get some daytime help with the youngest children if they aren't in daycare. It won't be forever, but there's also a chance that at just a few weeks post-op, you just won't feel "well" enough to care for them.

Why chance it? I would set up a contingency with a sitter to come and help out during the day. If finances are tight, arrange a "trade" for some sort of service in the future, such as gardening or babysitting.

to you as you work through this.
Unread 07-06-2008, 10:16 PM

mjd,

you say to set upa changing station on the floor....I was thinking the couch, but now am rethinking. Was it easier for you to do this on the floor or an elevated surface? I have 2 in diapers and will be doing a lot of changes. I thought that I would have a hard time getting up from the floor if I changed them down there.

Any other child-wise advice would be appreciated!! My 4yr old is a BIG help, but she can only do so much.

I do also agree about the restrictions being done on an individual basis. I think that mine gave me these restrictions due to my circumstances--the kids, hubby leaving for 3 weeks, no help, etc....

TIA, Mags
Unread 07-06-2008, 11:45 PM

Thanks. I find it quite interesting how restrictions can vary so much from dr to dr. But mine also did tell me that the recovery paper they gave me is just a general one and I might be able to do things sooner, but yet I only see her at 1 week post op and 6 weeks post op so I don't know how she can lift restrictions sooner than that.

Than of course things could change after the surgery and maybe she will adjust restrictions at discharge based on the surgery findings.

I also don't want to mess up my recovery so I will be listening to my orders. But when you fill good what do you do to remind yourself you are still recovering and need to take it easy????

Mags - I would say the floor as well. I know my other ob that was going to do the surgery before I found this dr said I should put a matteress on the floor so the baby can climb onto to sleep, etc. And he also told me for eating with the kids to do a lot of picnics on the floor.
Unread 07-07-2008, 08:48 AM

When I had my surgery, my children were 9 and the youngest turned 5 the day I came home from the :castle: My "baby" still needed to be held, cuddled and picked up. My restrictions, due to the posterior repairs, were to not lift anymore than 10 lbs for the first 6 weeks and I have permanent lifting restrictions of 25 lbs, again due to the repairs.

I know that not lifting a 1 year old is a lot harder than not lifting a 5 year old. But you only have one chance to heal well .

You may want to train your little ones into climbing onto the couch for a change, instead of having to lift them up to change table

And I remember that, at 4 weeks post-op, I would not have been able to care singlehandedly for my DD: I still needed lots of rest and I found that it was hard to keep my focus. It may be a good idea to have them in dare care for a few weeks or to enlist the help of a friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by havehope
But when you fill good what do you do to remind yourself you are still recovering and need to take it easy????
That's a very question: not only did I need to remind myself, I also needed to remind my family One of the things I did was to wear jammies around the house: that was a sign that I still needed to .... and the loose jammies were more comfortable for my tummy than tighter pants

Another thing I did was to carry my tummy pillow around: it was a great way to remind my little one that mommy's tummy was still hurting... and to remind myself too
Unread 07-07-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieloop
you say to set upa changing station on the floor....I was thinking the couch, but now am rethinking. Was it easier for you to do this on the floor or an elevated surface? I have 2 in diapers and will be doing a lot of changes. I thought that I would have a hard time getting up from the floor if I changed them down there.
Hey, whatever's easiest.... either way, though, someone will have to bring the child to you. It is really important that you don't exceed those lifting restrictions.

We also got a DVD player for my "recovery room" TV so that my ds and I could watch movies together, because I couldn't play much for the first several weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register