uterine prolapse and other prolapse repairs | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

uterine prolapse and other prolapse repairs uterine prolapse and other prolapse repairs

Unread 07-08-2008, 12:00 PM
uterine prolapse and other prolapse repairs

Hi,

I have uterine and bladder prolapse and my Dr. said I can either remove the uterus or suspend it and then we can suspend the bladder and also add a urethral sling.

My question is this: he said since my rectum is not currently prolapsed we wouldn't do anything to suspend that but I worry about it later prolapsing...so wouldn't it be a good idea to go in there and suspend it "just in case" since we are in there anyway? He said we shouldn't touch things that aren't broken, basically, because each thing that is done has it's own risks. I understand that, but wonder since there is a chance to later have rectal prolapse, then I could prevent it and not go in again later, right? Sort of get it all suspended at the same time.

Anyone have thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks!

Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2008, 02:11 PM

Hi Julie,

I think I have to agree with your doc. The rectocele repair, for me, wasn't too bad. Just make sure that your doc doesn't use a mesh. Meshs have a high tendency to erode through your vagina.

You might find after fixing the prolapse (by hyster or suspension) that everything moves back or stays in its right place.

Don't subject yourself to the "what ifs". Treat the here and now.

Good luck!
Unread 07-08-2008, 06:27 PM

I think my doc did say something about mesh for the bladder. What else can they use besides that, that would be better? thanks!
Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2008, 08:22 AM

Grafts can be used in place of mesh. Mesh is a type of "plastic", where as the graft is human tissue, specifically collagen (not like the liquid they put in women's lips, but a sheet of collagen tissue).

Another option is just to reinforce the area with your own tissues. Meaning, the doc would cut through the vagina to expose the muscle between your vagina and your bowel. It is this muscle that has weakened and "prolapsed". They cut the muscle and stitch it closed tighter, then they stitch closed your vaginal canal tighter. Down side to this is the excessive manipulation of the muscle and tissue can cause painful sex.

JABL, I've read too many posts here from women who have had to go in for mesh erosion repairs, painful sex, and poor healing. Now this doesn't mean that there aren't women out there with success stories with mesh.

My doc used a graft on me for both my rectocele and cystocele (bladder). I have very small and minor vaginal incisions, so it has not affected my vaginal sensations during sex. I also believe that it has helped in my quick recovery.

It's ok to interview other docs to find out how they would handle your particular issues. This website has been a godsend since I read and read about my issues and possible solutions. I then took this info to my interviews and found that not all docs were the same in their techniques. It kept looking until I found the right one!

Good luck!!! Let me know if I can further help!!
Unread 07-10-2008, 04:57 AM

Julie--

I personally understand about wanting to get everything done at once but that's not always how things work out so well. It certainly caused a problem for me.

I had a bladder mesh sling done to repair a cystocele at the same time as my TVH 3 years ago (I also had a TOT done then that has not caused me any erosion so far but I'd never do it again with polymesh). The mesh eroded through the anterior of my vagina. It was a miserable time for me. My 1st doctor tried removing it just a little at a time which also was NOT the way to go. I finally had a 3rd surgery to remove the stuff just last year--a little more than a year and a half after having it put in.

Because of my experience, I'd never use artificial mesh in me again. Nor would I recommend it to anyone in my family. I've read many, many articles on it and I know the rates of erosion are low overall BUT for the few women it does happen to--and the rates sure seem to be greater than the reported rate--the results can be severe to even catastrophic. It is something I'd approach with great caution.

To read more about the women here who have had it done, go to our Google Search bar in the aqua blue rectangle at the top right side of the page and type in "bladder mesh". You will also get a list of posts where you can read the experiences of your fellow Hyster Sisters.
[To read more on the complications of mesh, you can go to pubmed.gov and type in 'vaginal mesh erosion'. ]

I do hope you find the information and help you need.

S.....
Unread 07-10-2008, 09:25 AM

That's great info! Thank you for sharing! I am going to research this mesh thing more. It is so scary to go through this.

Julie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register