Had Pre-OP today - Doctor scared me!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had Pre-OP today - Doctor scared me!!! Had Pre-OP today - Doctor scared me!!!

Unread 07-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Had Pre-OP today - Doctor scared me!!!

So I went in for my pre-op today and the doctor has scared the poop out of me. I went in with my list of questions. He was great at taking the time to answer everything and was really making me feel at ease.

Then he said something that made me look like a deer in headlights and really has me scared. Not about the surgery itself but the "after" part of the surgery. He explained that because of my adhesions around my bladder that he would most likely have to do a bladder repair and that due to the extent I would be coming home from the hopsital with a cather bag in for 6 weeks. EXCUSE ME- Back up right there!!

I was literally like what did you say? I am not terffied about the surgery but the thought of having that in for 6 weeks has me terrified. He explained that it is some what "common" when you have the amount of adhesions and surgerical removeal that I have to have done. Ummm hello! NO it is not common to me!!!

He told me not to worry, we will cross that bridge when he gets in there and really sees what he is looking at and to calm down. I was really upset about it and still am.

Has anyone else here had to come home wtih this? If so - how do you take care of it? Any advice you can give me??

Man I am freaking out... I know take deep breathes, relax etc..but I dont know why it is hard when I think about that!!

Other than that one statement everything went well. HE did tell me to get me some of that magnasium stuff (by the way where do I get it?) and take it around lunch time on Wednesday to do my bowel prep.

So anyone have advice for me?

See I have already started having the crazies!!! :confuse:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2008, 12:34 PM

Hi, I didn't have the same problem you did so I can't really answer your question but I am sure that one of our sisters will come along and have answers for you. I have heard of some women leaving the hospital with the cather bag still in. It really isn't as uncomfortable as you would think. I didn't even feel mine when I was in the hospital, I wouldn't of even remembered that it was there, except when I was walking the halls. I mean that I had to attach it to the side of I.V. holder, It didn't hurt to walk with it in. Wishing you good luck and a speedy and pain free recovery
Unread 07-11-2008, 01:56 PM

sportychick..

I didn't have to come home with the cath either. I am sorry the doc scared you like that though. It isn't hard to take care of the cath and bag. Just make sure you keep yourself clean down there. As for the bag, there is a little flip thing on the bottom where you can drain the bag. It's really easy to do.

As for the magnesium cit. you can purchase it about anywhere. At your local drugstore, walmart, and some grocery stores carry it.

Good luck with your surgery. Hoping you have a smooth surgery and a uneventful recovery. See you on the other side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2008, 02:09 PM

Same here.
Went this morning, scheduled for Monday at 8:30...right down the street from you, it appears:-).
I am a mess. I'll be having the TAH w/o ovaries, bladder repair, etc...plastic to close. I'm not worried about pain or the recovery...just the surgery and the waking-up portion of the program.
Unread 07-11-2008, 09:52 PM

No personal experience...but my DH had to have a cath for a few weeks after a surgery he had......and (as are most men) he is a total baby!! Really it was no big deal, it's not painful, just kind of a bit of a hassle to carry with you.

Now.....in reality...Yes, I won't lie...even knowing that it wasn't that big of a deal with my DH......that would freak me out too. Especially now, when we are all so FREAK OUT READY!!

Since he won't really know EXACTLY what he's gonna do till he gets in there....I would try very hard to just try to forget about it.......I mean, there is a chance you may not even need to do it. I know it's impossible to turn offf like that.....but you know it doesn't do you any good to worry.

Anyway....I'm so sorry you have had this crud put on you today and he freaked you out....and I totally don't blame you. You're already doing what you need to do by asking others and breathing...slowly... maybe when this bumps you'll get more experienced support.

Blessings
TANK
Unread 07-11-2008, 09:59 PM

Thanks ladies! I have calmed down. I just have this thought of these tubes all coming out of me and me not being able to move, and being in pain for 6 weeks. I know that is not reality but I never really remember having a cath wtih my c-sections so I am not sure what they are like really. If I had one = I was so drugged I could not fill it.

My husband also said I do not need to worry about the what if on the bladder part of the surgery. Just wake up afterwards and take it all in stride. I am but it is hard!

Thanks again
Unread 07-12-2008, 04:58 AM

I was told I have to come home with a catheter too. Mine is only for three weeks though. My doc explained that since he will be removing lymph nodes he will have to cut the nerves to my bladder. In order for them to heal well, the bladder needs to remain flat. He doesn't want it "working." So after three weeks, my bladder will have to relearn its job. For about a week or more, I will then have to self-cath to make sure my bladder empties completely.

I too was thrown by that. Oh I was also told they can have it where the bag attatches to your leg so you can go out. The nurse said it can be uncomfortable. Some women use a gift bag to carry it around.

I wish you the best of luck.
Unread 07-12-2008, 07:23 AM

Hi Sporty chick,
As for pain for six weeks, not really that long. The worst pain for me was more than a week later, while at home when I was trying to be a hero and limit my pain meds, boy did I smarten up quick. They give you the meds for a reason, take as ordered by the doctor and some ibuprofin as well. The most uncomfortable thing for me were the staples as I am super overweight so my bulk was always pulling on them. I had most of them in for two weeks and a few for three weeks. This is not common, mostly out in a week or so. The day after they were removed, in two weeks, I thought I was a whole new woman, great.
Again, the pain is not as much of a problem as getting enough rest and not overdoing things. I was very limited for weeks. The first few days home I could only manage to go down to the main floor once a day. That improved after about 4 days home. Plan on 4 good weeks of doing not too much, a bit of walking each day.
I wish you great luck, the doctor sound wonderful, calm, he knows what he is doing, the staff will take good care of you.
Unread 07-12-2008, 07:30 AM

hopefully he was just telling you what can happen..and it wont. is he a uro/gyn or is a urologist assisting with the surgery?
i wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery.
you can get the mag citrate in any pharmacy or walmart. its really not too bad.
Unread 07-12-2008, 03:56 PM

sportychick,

My hysterectomy was due to severe adhesions. My bladder and uterus were plastered together causing a great deal of pain. I, too, was freaked by the thought of having to wear a cath. bag once I go home. She said it was a real possibility. You can imagine my relief when I was coherent enough to understand that she had not damaged my bladder at all. She told me that she filled my bladder very full during surgery and was able to then see a clear plane to dissect between the 2 organs without hurting the bladder. She said she could only take a mm at a time. So there is hope. She said my condition was the most severe she had seen with adhesions, so, hopefully, yours will go as well. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register