Patch vs Pill? Which works best for you? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Patch vs Pill?  Which works best for you? Patch vs Pill? Which works best for you?

Unread 07-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Patch vs Pill? Which works best for you?

Previous to my hysterectomy, I was taking an oral HRT to control severe night sweats. I took Femhrt for a little over a year and had no problems. After the hysterectomy, I was put on a patch HRT. I have mild night sweats, but nothing that is too hard to handle. What bothers me is trying to keep the patch sticking. Also, it's not that pretty to look at. I generally wear thongs, so there is nowhere to hide it. It also picks up lint of the darker clothing I wear, and is usually ringed by the dark lint, making it look dirty. I see my Dr. on Tuesday, and will ask him about changing back to an oral HRT. Does anybody know if the patch is supposed to be better than a pill? Or is it just for the convenience of not taking a daily pill?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Pam
TAH/BSO 6/4/08
Menifee, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2008, 01:00 PM

Pam,
The patch not sticking can be effecting how much of the hormone you are getting into your system. Which patch are you using?Sounds to me like you are using one of the 1x per week patches that are fairly large and can sometimes have a problem sticking. There is a patch called the Vivelle Dot that is much smaller than most of the patches, it is changed 2x per week. If you like the idea of a patch, that is an option for you.

Everyone is different. Some women do just fine with an oral pill, while others fare better with a patch. It can be a matter of trying various methods and finding which one is going to work the best for you.

Unread 07-13-2008, 02:11 PM

The patch is good since it doesn't go through the liver. It is easy to adjust also, if you want to add a bit etc. I use Climera and it sticks. You have to make sure it is clean and dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2008, 02:26 PM

I started on the Estraderm patch which was a clear, small one. That one would re-stick if it fell off, but seemed to pick up lint and looked just plain yuckky. My pharmacy was unable to acquire the Estraderm patch any longer, and my Dr gave a prescription for a Estradiol generic patch. That is the larger flesh colored pad. Thought it was sticking better than the other patch until it fell off in the shower. No sticky was left on it at all, so I taped it on with surgical tape. Both were 0.1 mg/day patches. And the Dr has prescribed that I change the patch every 3 1/2 days rather than 7 days as the directions with the patches call for. Just seems like a lot of trouble if a pill will do the same job. But, that's why I'm wondering if one is better than the other....
Unread 07-13-2008, 02:38 PM

In the books I have read, it usually takes more hormone in pill form to be effective in the stomach. It also goes through the liver.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register