Should I panic? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I panic? Should I panic?

Unread 07-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Should I panic?

I'm not sure how I should be taking this.

I'm doing as well as can be expected. I still can't pee on my own so I alternate between self-catherization and wearing a Foley catheter for weeks at a time.

The hospital where i see my oncologist have started a cancer rehab program that lasts 8 weeks which I'm attending. So far, not bad. I got a lot of helpful advice on nutrition, psychologist, etc

My pain is being worked on. They changed my meds from morphine to methadone which is helping a lot but I'm having some side effects like dizziness, chest tightness, nausea, etc all normal until I get the right dose.

My problem is something I read tonight on the results from my CT scan that i had done when i went back to the surgeon in June. he had mentioned that there were 2 fistulas and that I should go back in October.

But having read the Ct scan, there is mention of some areas in my pelvic walls and bowels that show signs of possible recurrence.

When I read this, I froze!
I'm not sure if I should be in a panic or not.
I feel like a heavy rock has fallen on my chest....I can't breathe.

The surgeon never mentioned this to us ...could it be that I'm misreading the scan. But the words are very clear -the 'possible recurrence' is there in black and white.

I want to mention this to my oncologist when i go back to the rehab on Friday -I'd like to get an MRI or PET scan. Am I right for being in a panic?

What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Should I panic?

Maxime.
No you should not panic. And I know that is harder to say than to do. Just wait and hear what your Doctor says and even if what he says is maddenly inconclusive , don't panic.
After all my surgeries many of my scans would show things that said " could not rule out a recurrence". This is because healing after surgery and scar tissue forming can look like active cancer growth. After two years of scans where recureence could not be ruled out I quit having them and three years later I am fine! The Dr's truly don't know and don't want to give false hope but panicking does no good either.
Just keep using your incredible strength to heal and enjoy every day.
You are in my prayers.
Unread 07-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Should I panic?

Oh gosh, Maxine! I have no idea what I would do besides calling the doctor the moment they open tomorrow morning.

You are in my thoughts and prayers! Please keep us advised!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Should I panic?

oh maxime...what awful words to read...they are so ambiguous. i think that debbie gave you a good explanation as to what those words could mean. this business is such an inexact science, so many unknowns. do show your oncologist the report from the c.t. scan and see what his interpretation is.

sounds like you're getting a little better every day. don't let this stress get you down. please try to breathe after you get over the initial shock of this "new finding". i keep re-reading my pathology reports every so often and find new things to worry about or look up. it just doesn't do any good as i don't understand all the lingo or what it means to my case.

i think it's great that you're getting out to participate in that 8-week rehab program. take care and let us know what the oncologist thinks. best wishes to you and your husband and your furry friend.
colleen.

p.s. i don't blame you for being upset and in a panic...i would be too until i straightened all that out.
Unread 07-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Should I panic?

Maxime

After all you have been through, please try not to panic! (and certainly don't waste a good one, as Ellen would say!)

You are still healing, and scans can't always differentiate fully between scar tissue and recurrence. See what your doctor has to say. Take some deep breaths.

Unread 07-16-2008, 05:06 AM
Should I panic?

I know it is very hard to do but please hang in there and do go over this with you DR. Also, remember that you DO NOT HAVE A RECURRENCE, those were not the words mentioned. You will do everything within your power right now to keep yourself healthy. You may never have a recurrence so try not to let that old cancerhead ruin your progress. I know it is very hard mentally but you are a very strong person and you can get through this. There is a whole wide world out there just waiting for you to enjoy it dont' let that mean C bring you down and ruin joyful moments! I am sending you HUGS and will keep you in my prayers for you to contiue to be strong as you go through your journey. Sending good vibes your way.
Unread 07-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Should I panic?

Dear Maxime,
Hi hun, it feels like forever since I have been on here but popped on & saw your post. No need to panic yet. Talk to your oncologist about it. Being in this medical field for so many years a lot of post surgical reads say that but it turns out to be a shadow, gas or some other very benign condition. You are doing the right thing by talking to him about this. Are you still on chemo? They may want to recheck a scan after chemo to see if these so called recurrences are gone, bigger or the same. Hugs
Bertha
Unread 07-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Should I panic?

(((Maxime)))

First, take a deep breath and try to relax. The last thing you need right now is more stress!

Sometimes, the folks who read those tests put in lingo like that to cover their behinds. This does not mean there is a recurrence. It only means there is something inconclusive there that could be a recurrence. It could be many things. Does the report reference the possible fistula issues separate from this "possible recurrence?" Could it be the same thing? (Just a thought!)

I'm sure your doc has read the report and evaluated it specifically against your other results to come to his own conclusions. But, I totally agree with the other ladies that I would address this issue with him to get his opinion on things.

In the meantime, here are some hugs and good vibes for you!

monami
Unread 07-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Should I panic?

Hi (((Maxime)))
Easier said then done but pls don't panic. I hope you can have your doctor provide his opinion re the "signs of possible recurrence" soonest. The radiologist needs to account for anything he sees on the scan and as Bertha mentions often these prove to be benign matters. May you get some good reassurance from you doctor that all is well.
s
Unread 07-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Should I panic?

Maxime,
It is always a pleasure to read your posts when you get on. I enjoy hearing updates on your progress. Like the others, I reiterate, wait til your doc explains. My CT scans will say :shadow: well what is it? I'd worry and fret and the doc would say we wait for more definitive sign of recurrence than that and move on. Please continue to take care of your health. I can't imagine fussing with the foley and catherization like you have. God bless you every day and your loving supportive husband as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register