Cervical Cancer after hysterectomy?????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervical Cancer after hysterectomy?????? Cervical Cancer after hysterectomy??????

Unread 07-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Cervical Cancer after hysterectomy??????

I did an earlier post about cervical cancer and didnt really ask the questions correctly! Is there anyone out there that is post op and has been diagnosed with cervical cancer. I went to the gyn last week and had a biopsy which determined cervical cancer. Its been a roller coaster since. I am a nervous wreck and my gyn called an onc/gyn who is from Dana Farber Cancer Institute this is one of the leading cancer institutes in our country so I have found the right place. Ive had pet scan upper mri, lower mri and they have determined the cancer has not spread and I will need 5 weeks of radiation and 3 rounds of chemo.. even typing that is scary. This was my first exam with the gyn/onc and I should have asked alot more questions but I was really in a fog. I remember her saying if I had my uterus it would be easy to just remove the cervix along with the uterus but since I didnt it would make things more complicated. Even more strange she said she think she found an ovary, I can assure everyone I had a total hysto except for my cervix. She called the my reg gyn and called down to medical archives to review my hysterectomy records. Anyways Has anyone had cervical cancer after hysterectomy and what is the radiation like how do you feel and can I still work?? I know everyone is different but please share your experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2008, 09:37 AM

Dear Jeanm1963:

I haven't had your experience, and I wish I had some helpful words for you, but I did want to say that it's so understandable that you feel anxious and on a roller coaster! There are lots of ladies who have had radiation and chemo for cervical cancer -- I imagine that their experience will be useful to you, regardless of whether their cancer was diagnosed pre or post hyst.

In the meantime, hang in there! We're here for you! You might try doing a search on this site for someone else who has had similar experiences. I know I felt so much better about my surgery once I had a sense of what to expect.
Unread 07-16-2008, 03:46 PM

First, very glad to hear you're seeing a gyn/onc!! They are the experts, and that's who you want where your health is concerned. It's also very good news that all of your other tests are negative! Have they given you a staging yet? I know for some CC stages that chemo/rad treatments offer the same prognosis as surgery, so the docs recommend that. Also, there may be some issues related to your prior medical history that would lean toward chemo/rad. I'd ask the gyn/onc to clarify all of this for me.

As for that mystery ovary, I think there might be some confusion on the procedure terminology. I checked the hand out they gave me when I had surgery, and this is what it states:

1. Total (simple) hysterectomy = removal of the uterus and cervix

2. Subtotal hysterectomy = the uterus is removed, but the cervix is not

3. Neither form of hysterectomy includes removal of the ovaries and/or fallopian tubes. Those are different procedures called an oophorectomy (ovaries) or a bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy (ovaries and tubes). These can be done at the same time as the hysterectomy.

This is probably why the gyn/onc wants to check your records to be absolutely clear. So, maybe you do still have an ovary? Stranger things have happened, but I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of everything on that front.

Anyway . . . I noticed on your earlier post that you were given advice on writing down questions for the doc and taking someone with you if possible. It is easy to slip into that brain fog!

I know there are several ladies who've had the chemo/rad treatments for CC, and hopefully they'll be along to answer those issues for you. (Or, you might do a search to read some prior posts those topics.) Good luck with everything!! We're here 24/7!!

monami

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register