Help Surgery Scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help Surgery Scared Help Surgery Scared

Unread 07-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Help Surgery Scared

HELLO, My surgery is scheduled in one month. I just found out that there are two different ways that the doctor can remove everything and that has me really freaked out. One way is to cut me open like a c section and the other is to remove everything vaginally.. Sorry that I dont have the medical terms. I dont have to much time to recover with three children and a full time job that really needs me. However, the thought of cutting everything inside me and taking it out vaginally grosses me out. What if they miss something? What if the Endometriosis has spread to other organs will they see it.. If anyone has any helpful information I might sleep better for the next 29 days...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Help Surgery Scared

My surgery started out as a LAVH(lap assisted vaginal hyster) I ended up with a TAH(Total Abdominal Hyster). You can ask your doctor to do the least invasive procedure but with the option of changing mid surgery if needed. I did keep my ovaries. I hope someone will be able to give you more answers. I wish I had started out with a TAH(I have 3 lap incisions and 1 very long incision). I call it my smiley face. Best wishes on your surgery.
Unread 07-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Help Surgery Scared

First just being here is a step toward understanding, hints, tips, explanations, help, so you are in the right place totally. I was where you are a week ago, totally *******g scared out of my mind and so nervous. The answers given here, the advice and support, the knowledge of others having gone through the same I will and worse and pulled through is so very helpful. The unknown scares the crap out of us and this site gives so many answers that it takes away that fear.

Next know you need time to heal so help with the house and the children is imperative, in any way you can get it (husband, mother, father, inlaws, siblings, friends, neighbors) and you won't be going back to work very soon, there is a reason they tell you 6-8 weeks. A hysterectomy is major surgery, not just the incision but also organs are moved a bit and need to rebound, your system shocked and needs to be able to return to normal, and you simply NEED the rest.

The next thing I would say is TALK to your doctor, get answers, write down all your questions as they come up and talk to him/her, if he/she won't take the time, make him/her, this is your body and this is important.

From what I understand if they go in vaginally and find things that prohibit that they will take care of what they have done then move it to a abdominal surgery and from what I read here it doesn't seem like they "miss" things too much.

Also the abdominal has two ways to be done, the horizontal cut (side to side lower belly) or vertical ( above pubic bone to below belly button). I am having the horizontal full abdominal hysterectomy (Uterus, cervix, both tubes and both ovaries) and although I started here scared to death I am looking forward to Friday now and very grateful for all the support and knowledge and help I gained here and will continue to gain and can give back ~ ((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2008, 02:57 AM
Help Surgery Scared

My surgery is also scheduled for August 14th and I have been full of fears and etc, but have found this site to be very helpful in every question I have.......it is a real blessing to be able to read on all the different expereinces .....I have spent hours reading on here and its very helpful,
Unread 07-16-2008, 03:13 AM
Help Surgery Scared

Terra,

I second what Taji told you. Which ever type of surgery you will have, get help and consider your recovery important. Keep telling yourself "You have only one chance to heal correctly".

I had a Total Vaginal Hysterectomy (TVH) which means I kept my ovaries, but had my uterus and cervix removed. Done abdominally it is a TAH.

While the thought of doing it vaginally is gross, it is a much easier surgery to recover from since there is no incision in the belly to heal and it is much less painful. If your gyn is offering it to you it is the way to go. If during the surgery there is a need to, he/she will switch to an abdominal. I had to sign a consent form which stated this.

I hope this helps set your mind at ease. Best wishes for a smooth surgery and recovery - Joanne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register