People say the darndest things! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

People say the darndest things! People say the darndest things!

Unread 07-16-2008, 05:50 PM
People say the darndest things!

As some of you know I went back to work on Monday. I had 2 women coworkers ask me if it felt like I had a big empty hole in my abdominal cavity. One of the nurses that I work with even placed her had on my abdomen to see if she could tell by touch that my uterus was gone.

I kept telling them that it truly felt no different then it did before my surgery inside with the exception that my baldder now had the opportunity to "breath" & that now I can hold my urine for longer periods of time.

They thought that there was just a big cavernous echo going on in there. I suppose it is natural to wonder what it feels like if you have not experienced it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2008, 05:59 PM

Wow, you handled that so well. I think I would flip if anyone put their hand on my stomach to see what they could/could not feel.

I never thought about what questions people will ask...I'll keep an eye on this thread for good answers to such things.
Unread 07-16-2008, 05:59 PM

Cracks me up! I am like you, I don't feel much different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2008, 06:01 PM

You DID handle it very well! I don't know what I would have said/done with the way my emotions have been off and on!

Is work going good?
Unread 07-16-2008, 06:17 PM

I did feel very uncomfortable with the hand on the stomach & tensed up a bit. I must have made a funny face because she did ask if it was OK after she did it. I did tell other co-workers that I was "violated" by that nurse. She is "inappropriately" touchy feely with everyone. It is very weird.

Work went well, although it did tire me out bigtime! Due to the level of craziness that was going on in the ER last night, I was a it more on edge than I usually am. My patience level with it all was at an all time low, but I got through it with minimal complaining! LOL!
Unread 07-16-2008, 06:23 PM

Okay, I missed you were in the healthcare industry, and that was a nurse touching you. She should have known better, LOL. Some people. Good for you telling on her. Hee hee.

Glad work went well. It can only get better from here, right?
Unread 07-16-2008, 06:26 PM

Glad you are hangin in there with work. Just one more week from tomorrow and I am back again!

Until I find another job LOL!
Unread 07-16-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallulahbird
As some of you know I went back to work on Monday. I had 2 women coworkers ask me if it felt like I had a big empty hole in my abdominal cavity. One of the nurses that I work with even placed her had on my abdomen to see if she could tell by touch that my uterus was gone.

I kept telling them that it truly felt no different then it did before my surgery inside with the exception that my baldder now had the opportunity to "breath" & that now I can hold my urine for longer periods of time.

They thought that there was just a big cavernous echo going on in there. I suppose it is natural to wonder what it feels like if you have not experienced it.

And this was done by a nurse? An "educated" woman??? She surely should have known better. People never cease to amaze me!

Hope you're doing well.
Unread 07-16-2008, 07:56 PM

That is amazing that a nurse would do something like that but kudos for you for dealing with it in that way.

Fortunately I haven't had any strange comments like that and I have been back at work for 3 weeks.

I am so pleased to see that you are back at work (I have been following your long journey) and I hope you will find that it gets easier and easier. I was completely pooped after my first half day - let alone the full days!

Take it easy and all the very best for your recovery to continue uneventfully.

Hugs to you,
Unread 07-16-2008, 08:04 PM

I'm 5 days post op and I've already encountered some silly comments. A friend of the family stopped by this morning and asked if I had a large incision or what, so I showed her the small incisions I had (DaVinci Hyst) and the first thing out of her mouth was "You need to work on loosing some weight once you feel better". Now I know I need to lose weight, needed to before the surgery, but geesh, some people need to know when to just shut up. BTW i'm, 5'8 178, i'm not obese.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register