Post-op lifting...myself??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-op lifting...myself??? Post-op lifting...myself???

Unread 07-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Post-op lifting...myself???

I know most of us received post-op instruction to lift nothing heavier than a gallon of milk. Well, I just noticed that I've been using my arms a lot to haul myself around in bed, getting up and down, etc. I know I weigh A LOT more than a gallon of milk. Any input on whether I'm causing problems using my arms too much? I think I should probably be trying to use my legs as much as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2008, 06:28 PM

I know, that is hard. With my TAH and NO pain medicine I was not even able to help myself for days! My hubby would pick me up to my feet from my chair where I spent most of my time.

Also, in and out of bed was horrible. I finally got so tired from holding on to him that he used a towel and then a sheet around me! He would put it around my back and hold the front. This was WONDERFUL, no arms needed.

Then when I was stronger, I put the sheet around the foot of my bed. I would raise and lower myself. That was what I did for several weeks.

I was VERY VERY ill with a cold for two weeks and I can't take pain meds so this all made healing slow. I also had to wake my hubby up three times a night to help me to the bathroom! He is not used to waking up at night, that was hard for him, ha. Finally I could do it myself.

Just be slow when you do it. Do don't want to pull a shoulder or something. Then it would be hard for you. For a while, you just can't do anything but use your arms, they work so hard!
Unread 07-19-2008, 06:37 PM

Try not to use your core muscles when you move. Think of using your arms and stronger leg muscles to help you swing into position when getting up and around. I had a TVH on June 30th and it's hard to not use your abs when you move. Just try to be mindful and remember to rest and take it easy. I know it's difficult to just sit/lay around....believe me, I know it! I'm still being a couch potato, but it's getting better. Time will heal. Good luck. J

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register