morbidly obese ?s & working from home ?s | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

morbidly obese ?s & working from home ?s morbidly obese ?s & working from home ?s

Unread 07-20-2008, 04:54 PM
morbidly obese ?s & working from home ?s

I'm a little ahead of the game at this point. My regular doctor & I have discussed me having a hysterectomy. He & I both feel it's the right choice for me. Now I'm waiting for my appointment on the 22nd with the OB/GYN. I've been in to have the ultrasound and I'm just hoping that I have clear sailing and we can schedule my surgery soon.

I've been gobbling up information from this site like nobody's business since I found it last Friday, but I haven't seen my specific issues addressed.

I'm just shy of 400 lbs and 5'4". I have a very large belly already. No tumors. To be blunt I eat too much and move too little. I know that my weight alone means I'm going to have some hurdles but my current concern is about the swelly belly.

The largest Swelly Belly band is too small for me. I already have a hard enough time finding pants to fit and now it looks like I need to get some even larger for my recovery time.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has any experience with being as large as I am. At this point I'm just guessing that I will be having a TAH, hopefully I'll know more after Tuesday.

My second question is about my job. I manage 3 mobile home parks and have an office in my home. I have a wonderful assistant (at this point she's the only person on the staff that knows what is going on) and I know she's going to do her best to do everything she can.

However, I know my staff and somehow I don't think I'm going to manage to really have the time off from work that I need. I'm trying to tell myself that answering their questions regarding the parks isn't going to be the same as having to go right back to work. At the same time I can't help but be concerned that I won't get the rest I need.

So, if anyone works from home, how have you dealt with that? My job requires me to be on call 24/7. Some days the phone is quiet and some days it doesn't seem to stop ringing.

I'm hoping that after Tuesday I'll know what is ahead and then I can talk to my boss about a plan but I'd like to have some ideas in advance of how to still keep everything running without having to go back to work the day I come home.

I am grateful beyond words for everything I've already learned. I've been telling my husband a few of the pointers I've already picked up. I know he's going to do an amazing job helping me heal. He already watches over me and keeps me from overdoing things because of the herniated disc in my back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2008, 05:14 PM

You've come to a wonderful place for information and support through the whole process! I think you'll need to really consider the rest and recovery period required after your hyst. I work from a home office also and I find that my job can be just as demanding as when I worked outside my home. The healing required after this surgery goes way beyond the physical location of your body. To really rest and recover you will need to be freed from your regular responsibilities and allowed to recuperate. Being on-call 24 hours a day isn't resting, no matter where you are.
Good luck with your decision making and best wishes!
Unread 07-20-2008, 07:46 PM

I work from home also. If I had to work for myself, I'd quit, lol.
I have two phone lines, do you? If so, forward all your office calls to your assistant! At least for the first couple of weeks. If there's a big problem, she can call you on your home line.
If you don't have two lines, then, well, caller ID and voice mail were invented for a reason! Resist the urge to pick up. Turn off the ringer if you have to.
Not sure of your setup or I'd give more suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voo
I work from home also. If I had to work for myself, I'd quit, lol.
I have two phone lines, do you? If so, forward all your office calls to your assistant! At least for the first couple of weeks. If there's a big problem, she can call you on your home line.
If you don't have two lines, then, well, caller ID and voice mail were invented for a reason! Resist the urge to pick up. Turn off the ringer if you have to.
Not sure of your setup or I'd give more suggestions.
We have only one line. Forwarding the phone to her isn't a bad idea at all, I could have her call me on my cell phone if it's urgent.

I'd love to get any suggestions you might have to offer so if there's any questions I can answer to facilitate that by all means ask away!
Unread 07-20-2008, 08:45 PM

I work from home also, and my answering machine took all my calls, if there was an emergency, I had my cell phone, the first week I was totally not available, the second only answered emergency calls. we really need our rest, this is major surgery and its not only physically healing we need, but phycologically also.....make sure you rest, and listen to your body....dont over due things....
about your belly, have you considered a TT? check it out with your doctor, its the best time to have one done if ever considered one......hugs.
Unread 07-20-2008, 09:14 PM

I work on 100% commission, so in a way, the same situation as you. My customers were going to call me on my cell phone. My clients all knew that I would be out for a week (I ended up staying out for 5 weeks, yet working via my phone, which worked as it was far better to work via phone than drive 600+ miles a week to visit accounts.)

As for the swelly belly, which I cannot identify with your situation, I will tell you that I never changed size. My clothes never felt tighter, but I did find that I wanted my underwear pushed lower at night while I slept, kept them off my incisions.

Best wishes to you, tigs.
Unread 07-20-2008, 11:52 PM

Hi,
Just figured I would put my 2 cents in, as prior to my surgery I was also concerned about my size, I am also very large. I was able to have the davinci Hyster. Since I do not know your medical situation this may not be an option for you, but you should talk to your doc about it, there is no weight issues with the robotic arms and the healing is much faster than with abdominal incision. I am two weeks out and doing well. If you have any questions about this surgery or recovery at our size ask away, I am not shy!
Good luck to you,
Laura
Unread 07-21-2008, 12:09 AM

Thanks for your input! I will find out if this is an option. Anything that has me healing faster I'm all for.

Do you still have the same swelling with the davinci?
Unread 07-21-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hisglory
I work from home also, and my answering machine took all my calls, if there was an emergency, I had my cell phone, the first week I was totally not available, the second only answered emergency calls. we really need our rest, this is major surgery and its not only physically healing we need, but phycologically also.....make sure you rest, and listen to your body....dont over due things....
about your belly, have you considered a TT? check it out with your doctor, its the best time to have one done if ever considered one......hugs.
Thank you for sharing. I'm pretty crappy at taking care of me first so its good to have a reminder and a plan on how to handle work.

My insurance won't cover a TT, I wish they would. I never would have even thought of finding out about that until I started reading this site.
Unread 07-21-2008, 12:26 AM

Hi Tigs,
I do swell a bit by the end of the day, but not enough to need bigger pants. I am glad that I bought a pack of one size larger granny briefs prior to surgery as the hi cut undies were uncomfortable with the swelling. From what I hear you do not swell as much as it is not one big incision . With the Davinci I had six small (About quarter sized) incisions . From what I hear the norm is three to four incisions. They do heal quick being this small.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register