adenyomyosis, polyp and hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

adenyomyosis, polyp and hysterectomy? adenyomyosis, polyp and hysterectomy?

Unread 07-23-2008, 10:58 AM
adenyomyosis, polyp and hysterectomy?

I've been bleeding since may 20th and did a couple biopsies to help stop the bleeding. The doctor also put me on aygestin to help control the bleeding wich it did. I had an mri done about a month ago and it confirmed the doctor's suspicion of adenomyiosis. THe biopsy also revealed a possible polyp. I met with the doctor yesterday and I told her that I hated the side effects of the horomones and that my bleeding never stopped completely. Unsure of what's causing all the bleeding , she suggested having a hysteroscopy to see if I realy had a polyp and to remove it if needed and if no polyp was found that I could consider a hysterectomy. I am thinking of having the hysterectomy to prevent my from having an unnecessary procedures when the polyps could come back anyways. If I have adenomyosis anyways I thought that having the hysterectomy done would take care of all the problems....any opions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2008, 11:22 AM

a hysteroscopy is a very easy procedure and letting your dr look and see what is going on is probably a good idea, in my opinion. from what i have read, adenomyosis is not able to be diagnosed until the uterus is removed and looked at. other conditions can be ruled out, and a dr can suspect and be very sure its adenomyosis, but not 100% until a pathologist looks at the uterus once it is removed. a polyp can cause problems and once removed..the problems can stop. they dont always grow back. if i had the choice, i'd go for the hysteroscopy. during that time she can do other biopsies, remove the polyp if you have one and your problems could possibly be resolved. if they arent, you have been given more time to research all your surgical options. good luck.
Unread 07-24-2008, 09:04 PM

Have you considered having a second opinion about what might be best for you? A second pair of eyes may open up some new thoughts and ideas about your situation.

One thing to keep in mind is that a hysterectomy is a major surgery that is not without risks. It also is not a cure all for all GYN issues so if something is going on outside of the uterus, the hysterectomy may not solve all of your problems.

My bleeding ended up being from endometriosis rather than adenomyosis. The endo was discovered during a laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, and D&C. Needless to say, I am not cured and have had to have a post hysterectomy surgery.

Know your symptoms, know your options, weigh your pros and cons. Then do what is best for you! s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register