Just diagnosed w/cancer. Scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just diagnosed w/cancer.  Scared Just diagnosed w/cancer. Scared

Unread 07-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Just diagnosed w/cancer. Scared

Hi,

I just found out this morning that I have uterine cancer with probable lymph node involvement. My surgery is scheduled for Aug. 12. My gyn will be operating in tandem with an oncologist and they will decide which way to do the hysterectomy. I am 61 and I have been spotting for a month. I have no other symptoms and I have been very healthy. I work in a gym and I run on a daily basis. This has knocked me for a loop.

To Myst3, I am here right beside you with the same concerns, fears and hope. To the ladies who have already answered the previous posters, you have already helped me tremendously.

I have to go to work soon but I will check back later. My hands are trembling as I type this. I want to live to a ripe old age, not deal with this right now. I am really scared. My husband has been crying (secretly) Is Aug 12 too late to wait. I am really scared these cells will spread.

Thanks,
Trickie ( My name is Cheryl but there is another Cheryl here. I can be Cheryl from Va. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2008, 02:57 PM

(((((((((((Cheryl))))))))))

I have ovarian cancer which was diagnosed on 6/12. Surgery was 6/23. I had been very, very ill for a couple of months prior. I was in the hospital for 6 days.

After I got home, recovery was a breeze, and i was doing really well...until I had a gall bladder attack and had to have my gall bladder removed just one week later.

Anyway...let me tell you, recovering from the hysterectomy was much easier than recovering from this second surgery. I was in the hosptial for 11 more days, and had to be fed intravenously.

As for the cancer...I feel like Mohammed Ali waiting in the wings...itching for a fight! I say...bring it on!

Oddly, I never was too worried about the cancer...there are just so many options these days, and I was told that in my case 80 - 90% of patients respond well to treatment. I would be optimistic in your case, also. Hang in there. Just fight one battle at time.

As for the waiting...I still haven't had a lick of chemo, because of the two surgeries, and how weak I was even beforehand. I'm sure the doctors know how long you can safely wait.

The only thing that I would advise...if you start feeling bad...fatigue, loss of appetite or lower belly pain contact your doctor ASAP. Be insistant if you ahve to be that you be checked rhoroughly. I wouldn't want you to be in the same shape I was before I was diagnosed. Mine went undiagnosed for much too long, and I was very, very ill before surgery.

See? You're already far ahead of the game compared to me, and yet my doctors and I are all optimistic!
Unread 07-24-2008, 03:08 PM

You can fight it hon, we will fight it together. Lean on each other and be strong. Cancer treatments have come so far. Hystersisters is a place of courage and strength. Read the posts. Post yourself and take courage from these very courageous women. I know that my biopsy results will most likely show cancer and I know I will be where you are now emotionally. But I am starting to get mad and ready to fight, something like BookWoman is feeling. I just want to get to the point that I can fight it and beat it. We will fight it together, you and I and the rest of the wonderful women here. You are not alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2008, 03:17 PM

Dear Cheryl from Virginia, and hello again, Mist3blue. We're all here and ready to listen, when you want to talk. Life is good. We'd like to share your lives with you as you journey where many a brave woman has gone before. I'm sure the others will come along and welcome you to the club, Cheryl.
Unread 07-24-2008, 03:30 PM

Hi Cheryl,

So sorry you have had bad news. I can relate. When my doctor told me that I had cancer my mind just totally shut down. I don't even know how I drove home. It is certainly something that we all dread hearing. I wish I had some wise words for you. The only thing I can say is to lean on hystersisters and read as much as you can. After a little while you will start to realize that you are not alone and that a lot of the women on this board have gone through what you are going through and come out the other end in great shape!

Like you I had to wait to have my surgery and we all know the feeling of "lets just get it out of there". I honestly don't think that a couple of weeks is going to make a huge difference. It will give you time to plan for your surgery.

I was 63 when I had my surgery and I plan on living a long life and so should you! Try to be optimistic even though I know how hard it is when you first get the lousy news. By the way, often when they actually do the hysterectomy the news is better than they originally tell you.

Unread 07-24-2008, 03:34 PM

Cag2007's point about the outcome from the surgery being, sometimes, less drastic than they thought, going in -- it was true in my case. I was told they thought they found both ovarian and cervical cancers. Turned out I had neither. What I had was definitely going there, they said, but the pathology turned out much better than anticipated. Hang in there. We're here with you.
Unread 07-24-2008, 03:58 PM

cheryl from va. august 12 is just around the corner, so not too long to wait. i waited 2 months for my surgery with a suspicion of cancer from transvaginal ultrasound, so you're doing very well. i was 57 when dx, active and fit also...it does knock you for a loop to find out you have cancer. sounds like you are very fit if you're running every day...that will help you tremendously in your recovery. (having said that, remember to get back to your routine very gradually...don't overdo it).

in the meantime nourish yourself and keep fit. we'll be here to answer any questions and cheer you on. take care and keep us posted.
Unread 07-24-2008, 04:18 PM

Hi Cheryl,
So glad you found us here. There are so many knowledgeable women here who will literally walk you through this whole process.
I certainly understand the shock of discovering you have cancer. I was diagnosed 16 months ago with vaginal cancer.
It's like your mind cannot possibly take this information in!!

I was also very physically fit, I'm a teacher and after work I go to a gym @ 3 times a week.

Well, it's 16 months later, I'm back at the gym, and don't feel any different than I did before!! All of my post treatment checkups have been good......my doctor told me one of the keys for staying cancer free depends on you staying on top of all follow up visits

As some of the other ladies have said, cancer treatment has come a long way!!

Take a deep breath, and try to stay busy (I know, easy to say!) until Aug 12, which is right around the corner.
Perhaps it would help your DH to read on the forum from other women who have been where you both are!

Hang on...you'll get through this!!
Unread 07-24-2008, 04:54 PM

Cheryl, I understand what you are going through as I went through this last April. Do you mind if I ask why they feel lymph nodes are involved?

It sounds like you got right to the dr with the spotting, so that is a good thing and in your favor. You wondered about waiting until Aug 12...something so many of my friends said is that if the drs were extremely worried they would put me in surgery immediately ( I had 9 days from the time I was told until surgery) so take that as good sign.

We are pulling for you and your husband and I will sure be saying some prayers for you.
Unread 07-24-2008, 05:14 PM

To Cheryl from Virginia and Mist3blue:

In waiting for your surgeries and final pathologies, I think that you're in one of the scariest parts of this experience. As everyone has said, there is such a tremendous amount of support, kindness, and deep knowledge on this site. I know that it'll be a help and solace to you as it was and continues to be for me.

Add me to the list of folks who was completely thrown for a loop by cancer. I was 48 when diagnosed a few months ago, otherwise healthy, and had been going to the gym around 5x/week. I'm determined to get that old self back. But I'm finding that there are also remarkable lessons in this process, too -- not ones that I would necessarily have welcomed (or wished they could come by another route), but ones that I'm trying to pay attention to. One big one: I'm much tougher and more resilient than I ever imagined. You are too. You're very much in my thoughts, and have my hopes for the best possible news.
Regina

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register