HRT good, but tests show levels to high | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HRT good, but tests show levels to high HRT good, but tests show levels to high

Unread 07-26-2008, 10:12 AM
HRT good, but tests show levels to high

Hi all, just needing some advice....

It's been a year since I had my ovaries out. I've been on many different types of HRT, and finally found one that seems to work well. I still have some hot flashes and night sweats, but they are mild. The migraines, mood swings, inability to concentrate are all gone. I do have a few headaches, bloating, and libido is still not where I'd like it to be, but I've also been diagnosed with CFS/Fibromyalgia, so some of that could be comming from there.

So here's my delima, I've done both blood work though my surgeon, and slavia testing through my compounding pharmacy. Both tests show my levels of estrogen and progesterone are waaaayyy off the charts, like almost triple what they should be. However, I feel good. If I try to cut back, it is almost immediate that the hot flashes are severe again (like heart pounding on fire totally disruptive to normal functioning), migraines, mood swings, basically I go bonkers again. If anything it seems the ratio of estrogen/progesteron is a little off which could be where the bloating is from.

Bottom line, I don't want to change anything, but I"m concerned that the levels need to be so high in order for me to function right. My doc says I need to cut everything in half, but other things I have read, and the advice of the compounding pharmacist who really has helped me more than anyone says that it is more important to go by how you feel. If anything, I"m inclined to raise the progesterone a smidge to get that ratio into balance.

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2008, 12:06 PM

teacher30

When I was on biest my blood estrogen levels were off the charts too. (350-800) My NP was puzzled and very concerned. I tried cutting my dose but my symptoms just got worse.
I really never felt great on biest. But I thought as you do...I needed a higher level in order to feel better. I was wrong. It was the delivery method of the hrt that made the difference in how I felt...not just the amount of hrt. I needed a more steady dosing system to feel my best. On the Femring my numbers are now within normal limits (80-90's) and I feel great now. I never thought I could feel so good at such a low number! I worry a lot less now that my numbers are back within normal limits.
Have you tried other hrts? You may want to try another type of hrt and see how you feel. You may feel a lot better than you realize.
Having very high estrogen levels for long periods of time can become an issue later on. Yes, you should go by how you feel but you still need to be concerned when the numbers are off the charts. Also....From everything I've read on salvia tests... they are considered unreliable by most medical Drs. It is wise to look at the blood values as well.
Good luck!
Unread 07-27-2008, 01:38 PM

prettyanxious -

how long did it take you to transfer over to the femring? Was it hard to get off the biest? I have read that the vaginal rings arn't strong enough for most to get the estrogen circulating enough?

I've tried several other methods, including the oral pill and injection, none of them were steady enough or strong enough for me to get what I needed.

Do you know what kind of issues could become problems later on with high estrogen levels?

Thanks for letting me ask so many questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2008, 02:30 PM

IMHO test ranges are very broad and we all will not feel the same at a given level. You may be one who feels better at a higher level. That said, if your levels are OFF THE CHARTS that may not be such a good thing.

When you said you lowered your dose, how low did you go? Did you try to do a gradual tapering back? That is lower just a bit, give it a few months, than lower again. If you cut your dose in half immediately, I'm not surprised that you would have a host of symptoms. It is best to lower the dose gradually.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register