Caring for and nursing baby post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Caring for and nursing baby post-op Caring for and nursing baby post-op

Unread 07-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Caring for and nursing baby post-op

I just found out I will need a hysterectomy probably within a month (waiting to meet with oncologist to set official date). I feel confident in my ability to cope with the surgery, but am dreading how I will be able to care for my 3-month old afterwards. I really want to continue nursing him, but understand it will be difficult having a giant abdominal wound. (OB said I will need full abdominal hysterectomy to make sure cancer has not spread to lymph nodes, etc., but I won't know anymore details until I meet the oncologist.)

Will I not be able to carry or lift him at all? Or is my body so used to schlepping him around all day, that he wouldn't be considered "weight" even though he will probably be 15 pounds by the time I have surgery?

We are very fortunate to have a great support system of family and friends to help us through this, but I want to get an idea of HOW much help I will need and for how long. I've found a little info on this site, and I will of course go over this with my doctor as well, but it helps to hear real words from the trenches. It also will help me identify important questions I need to ask, that I wouldn't have known to ask otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2008, 09:28 PM

I think it is pretty standard that you can't lift anything heavier than 5 to 10 lbs for 6 to 8 weeks. But every dr is different.

I have a 1 yr old and he is my biggest concern but I will have help with me for 24 hours a day for the first 3 weeks.

I wish you the best of luck and just make a list of questions to take with you to your appt.
Unread 07-26-2008, 09:46 PM

Hi Nessie and

We’re happy you joined the Hystersisters community! There is a ton of solid information on the site, and the members have unlimited cyber-hugs to dispense and experiences to share with you at every stage of your journey to good health!

If you haven’t already done so, please do yourself a favor and register to receive Hysterectomy Checkpoints. It’s one of the best features of the site, in my opinion -- designed to accompany you through the entire hysterectomy experience from start to finish, and beyond!

You can take the opportunity to prepare yourself for what’s ahead by reading the Pre-Op Articles. You might find the following particularly helpful:

Breastfeeding Post-Hysterectomy

How Others Can Help

Through the years, hundreds of women have shared their personal suggestions in Hints for Your Hysterectomy that you may also want to peruse.

Many s and Best Wishes,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register