camping | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-30-2008, 02:57 PM
camping

I know this is going to sound stupid, but like that would stop me from asking a question-ha.

I was just reading under new posts and the question was asked-does it feel like the summer was wasted.

A whole lot have skipped camping this summer. WHY?

My surgery is scheduled for the 8th and i am already making plans to camp either the end of Sept or some time in October. Is this something I should be avoiding?

Thanks for the advice,
Mac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2008, 03:01 PM
camping

ok one more thing, I guess what I am thinking is, if I am past my driving restrictions, weight restrictions -is there a reason not to go?

Yes I tent camp.
Unread 07-30-2008, 03:39 PM
camping

Personally I would think the issue of getting up off of the ground to sleep or lay down would be awfully difficult after your hyster. I would also be concerned about keeping my incision(s) clean as well.

Go camping before surgery or rent a camper a few weeks afterwards. Personally I wouldn't have felt up to it. I love to camp and used to always tent camp but now that I'm in my 40's a motorhome is the way for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2008, 04:23 PM
camping

I campout in my 5th wheel and went for the first time 3 1/2 weeks post op. I had no problems at all, but didn't have to sleep on the ground. Also, my DH did all the lifting, packing and setting up. I helped a little.
I hope you get a chance to go camping at least a few times before the season is over.
Best wishes on an easy recovery.
Unread 07-30-2008, 07:28 PM
camping

Well, when I hear the word "camping" I think pitching my own tent, portaging canoes, lugging around 50-pound packs, and building campfires. So I would say that I would not be "camping" at only two months post-op!

But if by "camping" you mean parking the RV, maybe you can make it. But make sure everything is "done" before you go.

If you mean something in between the above options (i.e., tent.... ) you might really want to re-think this. It's not that I think you're not going to be "ready", but I'm worried you'll try to overdo. You might feel great but just push it that extra bit, causing a problem. It's no fun camping if you can't fully participate, and you'll feel like a burden if all you can do is put the marshmallows on the roasting sticks. Why risk it?

Like the other (((sisters))) said, why not plan a trip before surgery?? That's what I'd do, just to be sure. And just think -- next summer, you'll probably feel fantastic!
Unread 07-30-2008, 10:20 PM
camping

I think some folks may have been thinking of "summer" as the time when the kids were off school also. Once school starts, fun stuff like that is limited to weekends.
Unread 07-31-2008, 09:22 AM
camping

I would think by October you would be good to go if everything goes well with the surgery. I am 8 weeks out and I am carrying 50lb. feed sacks a short distance. I think I could handle camping, but I have had no problems either. My doctor told me just to ease back into things. I think you just have to wait and see how you are feeling and see what the doc says.
Unread 07-31-2008, 04:29 PM
camping

Ok, it sounds like since I would be in a tent (but sleeping on a cot) it would still be a bad idea as I would be the one setting up the tent and doing all the packing, loading and unpacking.

Guess i should be content to have a campfire in the back yard.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register