Post Op Hysterectomy Checkpoints 5-6 weeks post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Op Hysterectomy Checkpoints 5-6 weeks post op Post Op Hysterectomy Checkpoints 5-6 weeks post op

Unread 08-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Post Op Hysterectomy Checkpoints 5-6 weeks post op

In the attempt of staying with the Post Op Hysterectomy Checkpoints theme I am interested to know how we are all actually feeling emotionally and physically as we progress through this healing process so if you are at checkpoint 5-6 I thought we could compare notes and learn about this healing process together. I know we are all going to heal at certain rates and some may me doing better than others but through this thread and hopefully checkpoints to follow we will all get through this with greater understanding..what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2008, 07:39 AM

I am 6 weeks post op. I have chosen not to do HRT. So I do feel "warm" sometimes, emotions, I have pretty much kept in check, but I also have been on antidepressants (8 years) and anxiety meds (1 year) for a while. This may have helped with the emotional side of the this rollercoaster ride. Physically, I like to rate it as getting better each week, not each day. Only because if I feel good one day, I tend to overdue, and then feel the results of that, so I rate my healing weekly. All of my restrictions are lifted, so I am pretty much trying to go back to my life (without the pain of course) pre surgery. All in all, I think, I'm OK. And that is only becaue of Hystersisters, and the bond each and everyone shares.
Unread 08-02-2008, 08:43 AM

I,as you azeela, have been on antidepressants for years but have taken myself off them as of one month and not feeling too bad. I have my times ie, jitters, anxiety, mood swings, outbursts of anger etc. but I stopped taking them in order to get in check with what my body is really doing. I know that most of the antidepressants can have hot flashes as a side effect . When I was on Zoloft and Effexor I was sweating all the time. My Internist said that I was probably in remission with the depression issue and for me not to be surprised if I have to return taking them. I have night sweats when I first lay down to go to sleep and then no more. I have noticed that if I get overly stressed, I will get a hot flash. I can’t take HRT either..I am high risk breast cancer (mother) so this isn’t an option.

I am 4 weeks post op LAVH and having pelvic pressure, vaginal dryness and edema in my hands and feet. The fatigue and pressure are my biggest issues at this point. I called and talked to my OB’s nurse and she said this was normal and that it could take up to 10 weeks for this feeling of pressure to go away. I do hope so…this was one of the main reasons for my hysterectomy..I had a fibroid the size of a softball and a 1 ˝ lb uterus. I am concerned that the bladder may now be falling since it doesn’t have the uterus to help support it and I pray this is not the case. Trying to do some Kegel’s when I think about it and hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2008, 09:19 AM

I haven't went for my 6 week check up yet. It is this mon. I am still having alot of soreness and burning sensation in the pudge roll right above my insicion. I assume this is normal, I don't know. I went through these sensations at my 2 week mark but now it is back again and I haven't been doing that much, mainly siting in chair and watching T.V. and here at computer and taking breaks to walk around. I guess I will find out Mon.
Unread 08-02-2008, 09:22 AM

I also started kegel excercises, I find the best time is when I am sitting a red light and as part of my bedtime routine. I use baby wipes to gently go over belly incision, not blessed with a flat stomach so a little bit of flesh hangs over the incision so I do sweat. While the incision dries I do kegels. My uterus was also 1 1/2 pounds and had 8 fibroids, which he took along with ovaries, total of 5 cysts on them. I have been drinking alot of water, which seems to help with swelling in ankles and hands, and so far no vaginal dryness. If your not restricted, try increasing your water, with doctors OK of course.
Unread 08-02-2008, 09:55 AM

We have so much in common azeala and I think information passed on here is going to be very beneficial to so many of our sisters.

I am trying so hard to drink water..I have never liked water and I try the flavored waters along with a slice of lemon or lime in plain water and nothing seems to help me get past psychologically, that it is water..I have been known to get nauseated if I drink plain water on an empty stomach..How crazy is that?? Just how much do we have to consume daily to rid the fluid? Perhaps if I lay the amount out in front of me and say this is what I have to drink, I will be able to force myself.
Unread 08-02-2008, 10:09 AM

If you are having a problem with straight water (by the way, my mom gets nauseated drinking water too), I also use Celestial Season Herbal Tea (peach), I make iced tea out of it, and at least for me, tea helps me to pass water. I also have mixed grape juice, with water, and orange slices work nicely too.
Unread 08-02-2008, 10:10 AM

^I bought one of those miniature water bottle machine looking bottles. It's supposed to hold what you should drink every day. I say if I have one glassful or less in it at the end of the day, plus I have some coffee, milk, etc also, I'm doing good.

I would NEVER drink water if it wasn't good for me. I hate it. But, when I get in the habit, then quit, I notice that my bladder will spasm more, and I feel crappier at the end of the day. My hair and skin thank me for keeping hydrated, too.

I decided to invest in renting a machine and having the bottled water delievered since our tap water is so disgusting. I don't know if it's really better, but at least it tricks my mind.

I find the first few days of trying to drink the 6-8 and I'm more the 6, are the hardest, then after that it becomes habit, until I quit again, LOL.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register