Ovarian Cancer or Breast Cancer??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian Cancer or Breast Cancer??? Ovarian Cancer or Breast Cancer???

Unread 08-05-2001, 09:06 PM
Ovarian Cancer or Breast Cancer???

32 yrs old. Have 3 kids (2 pregnancies). Family history of Ovarian Cancer (1 aunt at 32, mother at 50). History of severe endometriosis. After 2 C-sections, 2 laporoscopies and facing another, I had a hysterectomy and single (Left) oophectomy at 31. Kept rt ovary as never had problems and wanted to avoid ERT (due to possible increase in Breast Cancer.). Well, 1 yr later at my annual (which they do a ultrasound on me), they found a solid tumor IN my ovary. Taking up most of it now. Have had pain. Probably endometriosis again. I fear they will want to remove it. My problem?? ERT. I am only 32 thus facing long term use. With OVarian Cancer in my history I understand I am at risk for Breast Cancer as well. Do I keep an eye on this tumor or do I risk BC with ERT. I can't win. (Not to mention I fear the weight gain).

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2001, 10:19 PM

Hi BDS,

Hi, I'm so sorry your having this scare. I can see why this would indeed be a hard one to decide.

I'm sorry I wish there was some way for me to help you with your decision, however, it ultimately is your decision.

I also have alot of cancer in my family (mother/aunt with breast cancer, father with lung and colon). I had my surgery for ovarian cancer and it ended up to be the kind that can be linked to breast cancer. I am unable to take ERT/HRT in any form at this point and have found way to compensate for the lack of hormones in vitamin supplements, etc and am doing just fine without them.

Now this is only my opinion, and strickly due to my own personal experience but if I was in your shoes, given your family not to mention this being a "solid" mass, I think I'd be more apt to have them take it.

Have you by any chance been referred to a Gyn Oncologist to check into this tumor? Maybe they can give you a clearer idea as to what this might be.

You might want to check out the Desert Oasis forum here at Hystersisters. The ladies there are all unable to take ERT/HRT due to cancer (or family history), blood clots, allergies etc. This might give you some ideas as to what alternatives are available if you are unable to take hormones.

I sure hope this helps a bit. If you have any questions, please let me know. I'll try to answer any I can.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 08-06-2001, 06:15 AM

There are many women who manage without being able to take HRT due to further cancer risks. Have you visited the Desert here at Hystersisters? You will see that would not be alone in your journey. I can understand the worry about leaving and monitoring that cyst in your ovary, and I have to wonder if you would be able to deal with the worry. Personally, I woudnt' but you have to look at all of your options and decide which would be the best for YOUR own well-being. I wish you the very best in whatever you decide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2001, 06:46 PM
Follow up

Thanks for your words of wisdom and advice. I have checked out some of the other forums and they have been insightful. I went for my second ultrasound. The radiologist didn't put measurements on the comparison ultrasound (getting those tomorrow) but said it was larger than previous ultrasound 4 wks ago. ALso says it looks as it may be multicystic vs solid as previously mentioned however, very small amount of fluid in the culdesac (last US said no free fluid seen). Not sure what all that means. They did a repeat CA125 and had me go in for a CT Scan the next day (Sat). Now I will wait and see. My back has been killing me. What does an ovary have to do with your back I don't know but it does!

Thanks!~ I will let you know.

Brenda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register