Off for my second opinion | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Off for my second opinion Off for my second opinion

Unread 08-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Off for my second opinion

A lil bit nervous, but hey it has to be done.

Embarrassed that I have this horrible black discharge from the LEEP still with a bit of a smell. A new Doctor, and a male on top of that. All in all I just feel uncomfortable with having yet another check up after going through so much stress last week along with still having this other uck. I know he is a gyno/onco and sees this all the time but just ewww in my mind!

Will update as soon as I get in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2008, 12:30 PM

Good luck! I know how you feel, I had my onco yesterday, and am still bleeding something foul from my cone biopsy. I wasn't expecting an exam so I was embarassed too. Plus they had me undress, and then left me waiting for 30 minutes half naked. To top it off, I was unpleasantly surprised to need a rectal too! Double UCK!!!! But he was able to determine that nodes were not enlarged, so I guess the peace of mind was worth it. I felt so much better afterwards. He was very optimistic about everything, and I am confident in his ability to kick this cancer's butt....plus it helps to have an official date set so I can start planning.

I hope your visit is enlightening! Sending positive vibes your way!
Unread 08-06-2008, 12:55 PM

I hate internals, since finding out I have cervical cancer, I have had what seems to be a million. I dont know why they just cant read a report and why everyone has to do thier own internal. Last week I actually had a big melt down, I finally started to feel better and stopped bleeding and the hemotologist had to do a internal, I said ENOUGH I have had it, with tears running down my face, I simply dont understand why you cant read a report, Im so sick of these internals, I think she thought I was NUTS!! It is so embarrasing when your bleeding too, I hope you get a good report today and are feeling better!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2008, 12:58 PM

So, davinci, how did it go? One gets used to feeling like a piece of meat after awhile, I suppose. The rectals are useful diagnostic tools. It's not a job I'd want to have, my surgeon's job, that's for sure!

I hope you'll come back and let us know how things went for you, and congrats on getting a second opinion.
Unread 08-06-2008, 01:03 PM

My first rectal I think my eyes bugged out when she said she had to do it! LOL The "you have to do WHAT?!" Prepare yourselves ladies, it's part of most internal exams.

Hope the 2nd opinion went well. Please let us know what they said.
Unread 08-06-2008, 01:53 PM

hope it all goes well for you davinci and as vega says, "it's part of most internal exams". at my first appt. with the gyn/onc (4 weeks after surgery done by obs/gyn, so very uncomfortable), first he did an internal and rectal...then it was the young resident's turn!

good for you getting a second opinion! take care.
Unread 08-06-2008, 04:06 PM

Thanks gals! Eww on the rectals, haven't had that yet with this muss, but did have it at the ripe age of 18 by a military Doctor to this day I wonder if that was really necessary!

I want to start this by saying that I am a sarcastic, want to have a laugh sort of gal. Right off the bat I gave the Doc a good dose and explained that I was known to be sarcastic. He told me "ME TOO". So if you are pre-op and a bit squirmish on what could or couldn't happen, don't read any farther! This is your warning!

Well of course I ask him is this "CANCER" or pre-cancer, the gals here were right of course it is pre-cancerous at the highest grade possible. He described the margins within the endocervix as questionable, and my biopsy at 12 and 9 were good to go as far as bad cells being removed.

He was very polite, funny, kind, answered everything without seeming frustrated, explained things in detail and to boot is a sarcastic arse like me! His office staff was awesome. They go so far as to make everyone that sees you write their name down. So the receptionist signed off, the tech, the nurse and the surgery scheduler. So I have a nice little post card thingy with everyones name and what their title is. All in all we were there about 2.5 hours without much waiting around time. The Dr probably spent the better part of an hour with us. The nurse probably 45-an hour and the scheduler was with us 30 minutes or so.

He ask if I was done with the parts I no longer needed and then made his recommendations. I could be checked every three months, deal with leeps and colposcopies or I could have the VH. He did not recommend the LAVH because his words "we don't want to chop up the Uterus into itty bitty pieces and risk spreading the disease if it is beyond the cervix" . Made sense to me and gave me a chuckle at how he actually described it. He also explained that though we may start out vaginal there is always the risk of it going into abdominal. Well anyway he told me nearly everything I have already read here in great detail and made me feel very comfortable.

I told him there was stuff coming out of my vagina that should not be coming out of there and I was embarrassed. At the end of our visit I ask if I could now have a good bath, he replied "YES I would highly recommend it....and oh by the way that stuff coming out that really shouldn't be is very normal and it looks fine". Ha ha what a smart alec! Thought my husband was going to spew from laughing so hard. His staff all had a good sense of humor too, I guess if I were all stiff and worried they would have treated me different. Glad they handled it the way that I could best handle it as well.

Anyways I have surgery scheduled for September the 18th. I put it off until after our vacation and to let my husband get back into the swing of work before taking care of me.

I feel much better for my second opinion and so glad I have found this Doctor and his staff! I was treated well! What a relief from the cattle herding company I went through last week that told me nothing and lost my records for 8 months!
Unread 08-06-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davinci817
or I could have the VH. He did not recommend the LAVH because his words "we don't want to chop up the Uterus into itty bitty pieces and risk spreading the disease if it is beyond the cervix" . Made sense to me and gave me a chuckle at how he actually described it.

That's how my doctor (gyn/onc) described it, but she said the laparoscopic (only) hyst that "sliced and diced" the uterus before pulling it out through the holes. (she also said she would never do those, period). She said the LAVH allowed her to go in and cut all of the connecting parts to the uterus (blood supply, muscles, etc) and then pull the cervix and uterus out through the vagina, in tact (so as to not spread any cancer cells). I guess she didn't do just vaginal hysts for cervical cancer.

Anyway, I'm glad your appointment went well and that you are comfortable with your doctor.
Unread 08-06-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful Storm
That's how my doctor (gyn/onc) described it, but she said the laparoscopic (only) hyst that "sliced and diced" the uterus before pulling it out through the holes.
I knew what the Laproscopic resulted in for our pour uterus, but hearing it described in those terms ewww just ewww! I know that is important for us gals facing possible cancer cells to know why we shouldn't have the LAVH, so guess we are wiser for it. I wonder however if it makes recovery more difficult when they pull the Uterus out with out making it into smaller bits?
Unread 08-06-2008, 05:41 PM

It may be just me, but when I go into the ob's office and get the standard 'strip below the waist, I ask how long the doc will be. I explain that I'm bleeding and frankly, I don't care if I'm sitting on a chuk and he's seen it all, I'm not cleaning blood off my legs when he's done just for the convenience of the doc. Last time, they gave me a pad to wear, another time, they let me sit there in panties and pad while waiting and then told me when he was coming. To me, it's dignity. We lose so much of it in these offices, we need to stand up and go 'nope, have him strip and I'll walk in'.

Guess I should have worried last Friday when they told me I didn't need to get undressed. He came in and delivered the cancer news.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register