Hysterectomy for Adenomyosis? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy for Adenomyosis? Hysterectomy for Adenomyosis?

Unread 08-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Hysterectomy for Adenomyosis?

I was on Depo for @ 15 years to alleviate heavy bleeding and severe cramping - diagnosed with endometriosis. The Doctor stopped the Depo due to Osteo and w/in a year it was all back w/ a vengeance. At that point, dear Doc insisited that I needed a hysterectomy and I fired him as he offered no other alternatives.

I started seeing a femae ob/gyn and she recommended an endrometrial ablation. I had the ablation in September of 2006 on my dual uterus (very special) and it worked beautfully - no period, no pain, it was GREAT.

Fast forward to January of 2008 and the periods begin but not heavy...OK I can live with this as I'm 52, menopause must be just around the corner...right?

By May, I have daily debilitating pain, sort of like low grade labor that never stops, I feel like my uterus is going to drop out of the bottom, and I have to pee about every 30 minutes. Oh, and non stop lght flow. I went to see the doctor, had an ultrasound, labs, and pelvic and she suspects adenomyosis and recommends a hysterectomy.

Again...my first response is NO WAY...did I mention that I steer towards homeopathic / naturalist medicine? I got a shot of Depo with no relief and now have another pre-op appointment scheduled with the doctor on the 18th and a hysterectomy date of 8/29.

On the days that I'm twisted like a pretzel and consuming ibuprophen hourly, I think that a hysterectomy is the only choice. On the days that are pain free, maybe 5 out of the month, I go straight into denial and think I ought to be able to stick this out a few more years.

What I'm looking for is anyone with a similar story who chose a hysterectomy as a solution. Will I be a "new woman" as I have been told? I must admit that I am tired of being so "in tune" with my uterus..it's a constant presense e...if you know what I mean...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2008, 08:13 PM

I can relate to your pain...I go for my hyster on Monday. I thought I was crazy when I told the dr it felt like a low grade labor pain. He didn't think I was crazy though. I had back labor and often get the pain in my back...it really stinks. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you can come up with the solution that makes you happy and healthy!
Unread 08-06-2008, 08:54 PM

I've suffered endo for 20 years and adeno for the last 8 years, and have found not only the pain to be debilitating but the side effects from all the drugs.

I'm now 8 days post hysterectomy and the pain and discomfort has been significantly less that what I have suffered all these years. I'm not even taking as many drugs for the pain as I normally do when I have my period or mid-cycle. I too prefer natural/homeopathic medicine and that influenced my decision to have the surgery....to get rid of all the artificial hormones and drugs from my system. I feel that can only be a good thing for me.

This surgery is a very personal decision, I agree that at 52 your periods should be limited, can they do a blood test to determine how far away you might be from menopause?? I'm 40, so I needed relief now and to last at least ten years!!

Good luck with your decision, only you know what is best for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2008, 09:43 PM

Adenonomyosis can be painful for sure. I was SO ready to get that thing OUT. The uterus was so big and painful. I can't believe I put up with all of that stuff so long! I felt better right away without that bowling ball inside!

Taking meds for pain all the time isn't good. Just keep investigating the best answer for you. I am thrilled my uterus and ovaries are outta here!

I cannot take pain medicines, well, just over the counter stuff. That was not a fun thing with surgery, but I got throught it. Best of luck.
Unread 08-06-2008, 10:01 PM

Jane - I decided to have my TAH because the adenomyosis had taken over my life. I was missing out. I'm 46yo and knew that menopause was too far off to wait -- I'm 3 weeks post op and have less pain now than I did with my 2 week long cramps.

Each individual needs to weigh the pros and cons == best of luck!
Unread 08-07-2008, 02:16 AM

I too have adenomyosis and have put up with the pain and cramps for far too long, and like yourself after booking in my TVH on the 25th I have my doubts and think, well maybe I can put up with the pain, then I just got my period yesterday and I cant wait to get it out, I think what pushed me to see about it was I kept taking a day off work because of the pain and the amount of bleeding was making it hard to go too far away from home without a suitcase of pads and tampons.
I had a laparoscopy/curette 4 weeks ago where the dr took pictures of my uterus, its huge, its no wonder that I am feeling like I am 5 months pregnant. Good luck with your hysto
Unread 08-07-2008, 12:15 PM

The main reason for my hyst was precancerous hyperplasia, but when they did the pathology report, they discovered adenomyosis. I felt really validated when I read that, because my menstrual cramps and bleeding were horrific. There really are no words to describe them, but it sounds like you experience something similar. I'd been told by doctors before that the pain was "in my head" or would go away after I had children, so I was really happy to discover a physical cause. I just wish I'd found a doctor that had listened to me sooner.

Anyway, nearly eight weeks after surgery, yes, I feel like a new woman. I hadn't realized just how badly my periods had infected the rest of my life until I didn't have to have them anymore. I was either in pain, or in dread of being in pain again soon. I'm much happier now, and feel more at home in my body (and less like I'm waging a monthly war with it.) I was terrified to go through surgery and ten weeks ago would have preferred a much less invasive option. Right now, though, it feels like my hyst was the best health decision I've made in a long time.
Unread 08-07-2008, 01:14 PM

I had my surgery because of that and my back feels so much better!!!!
Unread 08-07-2008, 01:24 PM

It is one of the reasons I am having mine done, I sound like many of the other responses. I did the ablation last year and I got no relief from it past a lighter wallet. It was offered up by my gyno to do it again but he pointed out that it would probably have the same result.

I am finally realizing that not being couch ridden for 2 weeks a month with pain and bleeding (yes beginning labor is the feeling) is going to be a good thing. I think the only people that will lose out will be the sanitary supply companies who probably head to the Bahamas on my purchases alone.
Unread 08-07-2008, 05:10 PM

Thanks to all so far for the responses...guess I'm not unique in the fear dept.

I was told today that chronic pan is a symptom of something wrong in my body and I need to get it fixed. I never thought of it that way....I'm not cancelling the pre-op appt and I'm sure my uterus will accomodate me w/ unrelenting pain until then...makng the decision easier..

For those who are scheduled for surgery soon...keep me posted if you're able...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register