Realistic recovery, need advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Realistic recovery, need advice Realistic recovery, need advice

Unread 08-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Realistic recovery, need advice

I am going nuts trying to arrange everything before my surgery which is on 08/28. My son starts school on th 18th so I think by the time I have surgery he will be settled into a routine there. However my Daughter doesnt start school till 9/08. My Dh is taking off of work and helping with me, but he does go back to work on 9/08. Will it be realistic for me to think I can start taking my kids to school by 9/08? Also there is a parent meeting on 9/02 I would love to go with my Dh, but that does sound too soon. My DR no sex or heavy lifting for 6 weeks, everything else is up to me as far as my tolerance goes. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2008, 06:54 PM

As I have learned, everyone really heals differently. My best advice would be plan for worst case and hope for best. Than it is likely you will be pleasantly surprised!!
Unread 08-11-2008, 06:59 PM

My dr said no driving for at least two weeks. I went to my son's football game(1 hr drive away) and watched from the car before two weeks time. I didn't drive for along time though, (not cuz I couldn't just didn't have too.) The parent meeting may be OK if you feel up to it. Sitting and walking will be your guide. Think about what kind of chairs it will be, and the length of the meeting.

GOOD LUCK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2008, 08:04 PM

It is hard to predict how each person will heal.

My surgery was 7/21 (TAH) and I did go to the store at about 10 -11 days out. I was just able to drive a short distance on 8/10 - about 21 days later.

If the school is not too far, you might be able to drive them there (no lifting the back packs etc.). Just in case, is there way to line up an extra 2 weeks of help from a neighbor that attends the same school that could drive?

Are you having abdominal surgery?

Good luck and I pray it all goes well for you and your family.
Unread 08-11-2008, 08:11 PM

I had my TAH on the 21st - the DR let me start driving small distances - 10 miles max after week 1. Everyone is soo different.
Unread 08-11-2008, 08:21 PM

Hi Chipmunk33...
I'm thinking that it might be too soon to take your kids to school on 9/08 if your TAS is 8/28. The first week was pretty rough and couln't imagine driving, although my doc said that I was released to drive after I stopped taking the pain meds (Vicoden) and could hit the brake easily. I have a very low tolerance to pain so maybe you will recover faster and easier than I have. I hope so! It has gotten better now that I'm in my 3rd week!
Good luck to you!
Unread 08-11-2008, 08:31 PM

I have my parents and my MIL and FIL that can take them to school and after school activites etc. But it is my DD's first time going to school, ever. She has never even been to daycare before, so I atleast wanted to go that day. Maybe I could have my parents pick us then, and drive us?
Unread 08-11-2008, 09:37 PM

Hi Kelly,

When I had my TAH, I was not up to driving for several weeks, and attending a parent/teacher conference at less than two weeks post-op would have been way too much. Everyone does heal differently, but you want to give yourself time to do just that - heal.

You can check out my journal to see my week-by-week experiences after my surgery. Just click on my name at the top of this post, then select the link for my journal. Then scroll to the bottom of the page for my post-op recovery journal.

Good luck and s,

Lisa
Unread 08-12-2008, 12:31 PM

Hi Kelly, you didn't say what type of hyst you are having... or I missed it, lol. BUT, it would be a good idea to have your in laws lined up to be the drivers and you can drive with them to take your daughter to school It is too important to miss her first day!! and they will probably enjoy being there as well.

shelly
Unread 08-12-2008, 01:04 PM

I am having a TAH/BSO

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register