starting chemo again | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

starting chemo again starting chemo again

Unread 08-06-2001, 10:53 PM
starting chemo again

hi. here is my first post to you ladies out there. I am 28, had one ovary out last summer (stage Ib ovarian cancer). Did three rounds of Taxol/carbo.

Three weeks ago I had a partial hysterectomy (kept my cervix). I went to my doctor with nagging abdominal pain and cramps in my side! My side! Like as if from running. We thought it might be adhesions from the initial surgery, but the CT showed my remaining ovary was tumorous.

So it turns out the fluid in my abdomen tested positive and the ovary as well (obviously) and there were small malignant specs (like grains of sand) on the surface of the lining of my abdomen.

Tomorrow I go in to have a porta-catheter installed in my chest in order to receive the 6 to 8 months of chemo I am about to start. (Gemzar/cisplatin and then Topotecan/cisplatin)

I am looking to see if any of you out there are in my age group and have had this kind of experience. I want to compare notes and feel like I can relate. But if you're not in my age group and you want to share thats great too. I feel a little lonely here in cancerland by myself.

thanks in advance.

x o,

dixie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2001, 11:30 PM
starting chemo again

Hi Dixie, first of all .. you are certainly not alone in cancerland, we are all here with you. Even if not all of us have had the same cancer as you have, we can certainly understand some of the feelings and worries that you may be experiencing right now. I didnt have ovarian cancer or chemo, but many girls have and I am sure that they will be along soon to give you their story. I want to let you know that we are here just about 24hrs a day. To lend an ear or a shoulder. Much love and please take care. Best of luck beginning your treatment. x x x
Unread 08-07-2001, 01:15 AM
starting chemo again

Hi Dixie!!

So glad you have posted here. This board is a wonderful support system for women going through a cancer diagnosis, and we are a small, but very caring group of women who run the gamit on all various types of gyn cancer. You will get a great deal of support here Dixie.

As Robyn said...you certainly are not alone in cancerland! You are young, and I am so sorry you are going through this at all let alone at such a young at.

You sound like a very strong woman though!

There are several of us who have had ovarian here and hopefully even though some of us may be a bit older, all of the ladies here can be of a support to you going through this. Thats one of the very sad things about cancer, it knows no age does it?

I am 43 and had my surgery last September for a germ cell ovarian tumor in my left ovary, which had spread to the surrounding tissue. I also required chemo, and had 4 rounds of the BEP regime. One of the drugs in this regime is Cisplatin which you mention you will be having as well.

I did not require a port for mine and mine was in 5 day Monday to Friday treatments every 3 weeks. I was blessed with good veins, so I received mine through the hand every day of treatment.

We all truly understand what you are going through Dixie, and I hope we can be of some help to you. Please do keep us posted when you can on how you are doing. There are several others here who have had ovarian and have had some of the other chemo drugs you mention in your post so please check back often as they I am sure will be along shortly.

Keep a strong positive attitude Dixie, as I am sure you know from going through this last year, that is half the battle. We are all here for you and you are not alone at all! We are just a mouse click away for ya!!

Good luck with your treatment today! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!
Hugs!!
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2001, 06:50 AM
starting chemo again

{{Dixie}}

My heart just goes out to you, I can certainly understand how scary this is to not only go through one round of chemo but then turn around and go through another. It's rough but I can tell you first hand, you WILL get through this and we'll all be here for you supporting you all the way.

I had a similiar experience but am also a bit older than you, 39 now. I had my surgery last year and began my first round of chemo which was the Taxol/Carboplatin drugs. We found after completion, my strain of Ovarian was resistant to platinum based drugs. I then started a second round of Topotecan alone, which now 6 months after completing it, my test results are well within normal limits.

I didn't have the port-a-cath in for the first round but did have problems with my veins the second so had it inserted, but mine was put in my arm. It certainly did make getting "hooked up" much easier on both myself and the chemo nurses. I was quite a bit sore for a few days after, but I'm not sure how this is when inserted in the chest. I've heard it can be a bit easier (less muscles to deal with) but couldn't confirm this first hand.

Oh, one thing on the topotecan, I'm not sure if hair loss comes with cisplatin, however I do know, what had grown back between the first and second rounds, I did not loose again during the topotecan treatments. It did continue to grow during the actual treatments but very slowly.

Please do keep that positive attitude, going through treatment more than once doesn't mean it still can't be beat. One of my Drs (hematologist/oncologist) told me something that helped keep my spirits up during and since treatment. He said "They now consider Cancer a "Chronic Illness that will eventually be beat". I loved hearing that and decided that was exactly how I was going to look at everything!

Sorry to have written a novel (I'm almost done I swear) . Please know we are all here for you in any way you need, for support, to lend an ear, to share in fears and tears, whatever. And if you ever need to talk, please don't hesitate to let me (or any of us) know.

Many {{hugs}} and prayers coming your way.

Vicki
Unread 08-07-2001, 04:03 PM
starting chemo again

Cancer is such a scarey thing, and even if you may feel alone now, you are NOT!! We are all here for you and you can post here any time of the day or night and know that someone will be responding to you! We may not all share the same experiences but we all have shared the fear and the shock. I had my hsyt due to carcinoma insitu, cervical cancer. I was lucky..no treatment after hyst. Please know that we want you to feel comfy here!!
Unread 08-07-2001, 05:48 PM
starting chemo again

Hi, Dixie!

I really have nothing to add (the other sisters have pretty much said it all), but I did want to wish you well with your treatments. This is a great bunch of women who can relate in some way or other to what you are going through, so feel free to post often so you know you have company. Good luck!

Unread 08-08-2001, 04:07 PM
starting chemo again

thanks to all of you who replied. If you come across any 'young ones' send them my direction.

I got the port installed yesterday and I feel like I have a gun shot wound. Not really that bad, but its pretty sore and I have limited movement in my arm.

My doctor recommended an oncological psychiatrist (and I didnt even have to ask!!) and I am excited to meet with her. Hopefully this will provide some insight and comfort.

In a strange way I am looking forward to getting started with chemo just to get this show on the road, and I miss the nurses, they will be the same ones from before.

thanks again and keep in touch!

dixie
Unread 08-09-2001, 10:35 AM
starting chemo again

Keep your spirits up!! The sooner you get started, the sooner you are done, and the sooner you are HEALTHY!!!
Unread 08-11-2001, 02:56 PM
starting chemo again

{{Dixie}}

I'm so glad you were able to find some comfort in being referred to the Onc phychiatrist, this is such a difficult time, especially in one so young. I'm sure they will prove very comforting and helpful to you as you begin this new round of treatments.

I'm sorry, I was certainly under the wrong impression then in my thinking the chest port might be a bit easier. It sounds like the soreness levels are pretty much the same. It was very tender and difficult to move my arm for several days after having it input so hopefully soon it will start to ease up.

I applaud your "gun-**" attitude on getting your treatments started. Yep, the sooner you get started, the sooner you'll be finished! Keep up the great spirits!

{{hugs}}

Vicki

P.S. I too miss the Chemo nurses who helped me so much during my treatments! It certainly takes a special type of to be a chemo nurse.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register