Doctor said HRT for 5 years - what happens after that? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doctor said HRT for 5 years - what happens after that? Doctor said HRT for 5 years - what happens after that?

Unread 08-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Doctor said HRT for 5 years - what happens after that?

I posted this in the pre-op before I found this forum so am posting it again

I joined today and have been reading around the forums for a few hours now but couldn't find (or missed) the answers to my question.

I am on the waiting list for a TAH (Cervix and uterus) with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy (tubes and ovary removal) and awaiting my surgery date.

I have been for my pre-op (in the UK is with a nurse) but the nurse wasn't really much help and just wanted to get me in and out as they were running late.

My main concern is I am only 37 and the doctor told me I will only be able to take HRT for 5 years.

What will happen to me after the 5 years ?
Do I just get left to get on with it ?
Is there anything I can do that will help after the 5 years ?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before and thankyou for taking the time to read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2008, 04:56 PM

Hi Inc,

I was wondering this also. I kept my ovaries, but am in peri-menopause so my gyn offered to prescribe estrogen to help, but mentioned only 5 years... Wonder why only that long? I have a friend with a TAH/BSO who has been on it for 10 already and never plans to stop.

I was just wondering if you considered keeping your ovaries, since you are so young it would seem to be a good option and then you wouldn't have to worry about synthetic hormones.

Good luck with everything - Joanne
Unread 08-12-2008, 05:04 PM

Thank you

My doctor has told me that because of the pain and problems caused it is best to remove my ovaries at the same time *shrugs*

My doctor said no longer than five years for me due to osteoperosis and breast cancer in the family but never said what would happen after the 5 years. It's odd because my mum said she was on hrt for over 10 years to help with the osteoperosis *confused*

Edit: Thankyou for calling me young I certainly don't feel it at the moment LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SivitriScarzam
Hi Inc,

I was wondering this also. I kept my ovaries, but am in peri-menopause so my gyn offered to prescribe estrogen to help, but mentioned only 5 years... Wonder why only that long? I have a friend with a TAH/BSO who has been on it for 10 already and never plans to stop.

I was just wondering if you considered keeping your ovaries, since you are so young it would seem to be a good option and then you wouldn't have to worry about synthetic hormones.

Good luck with everything - Joanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2008, 05:23 PM

I've heard the "five year" thing online as well. However, I do think it has to do with your age. Five years for me may or may not make sense (I was 47 at the time of surgery). I dont' think, however, that they will just take you off and let you suffer. They may try to taper off, as in normal menopause. I'm sure you will be able to find a doctor who will help you if your current physician won't. Estrogen helps with both heart disease and osteoporosis. I think it's the cancer worry that most are concerned with. However, most research is on synthetic estrogen and progestin combo (called Prempro in the US). I think Europe has a lot more options with regards to bioidenticals -- such as Oestrogel. Anyway...these are just my observations from what I've read here and in other places.
Best of luck
Unread 08-12-2008, 06:37 PM

I will be on estrogen as long as it takes. I will not have my quality of life compromised. People forget that heart disease is a big problem and they only think about hormones possibly raising the chance of cancer. You have to balance things and everyone is different. I agree, the tests were not what I am taking, Bioidentical, no prog.

My family has osteoporosis and I do not want that. I do all I can not to have that problem. I will estrogen for many reasons, as long as I need it.
Unread 08-12-2008, 09:32 PM

When I was scheduling my LSH/BSO my doctor also mentioned something about only 5 years. But I had questioned if taking hormones was safe. Since my surgery I have been told I can be on my patch as long as I need it. My primary doctor does not agree with this since I have a history of blood clots and has already told me I need to stop taking hormones. So I am happy that my gyn will work with me.
Unread 08-12-2008, 10:07 PM

My doctor discussed HRT with me and had me read a book which broke down the results of the WHI study. At my age (44) and circumstances, the benefits of taking HRT outweigh the risks but after 7 to 10 years the risks start outweighing the benefits. My doctor recommended that I stop taking HRT after 7 years. Additionally, I MUST do monthly self-exams and get yearly mammograms because my aunt had breast cancer (7 years from the date she started taking HRT due to a TAH/BSO because of cervical cancer.
Unread 08-13-2008, 04:27 AM

Thanks everyone. I was getting worried they would just leave me to get on with it and hope for the best LOL
I know I have more to worry about with up coming surgery than with something that may or may not happen 5 years down the line but It was really worrying me.
Unread 08-13-2008, 05:39 AM

Yes, that now seems to be the 'gold standard' re: HRT because of the study. What a lot of drs don't seem realize (and I don't get this) is the study was done with Prempro and was done on women who had not had a hysterectomy. The fear is very much within the doctors...to my way of thinking, they're afraid they'll get sued.

I can only go by two women I know personally...my Mom and my b-in-law's aunt...who are both older women who are still on low dose estrogen. Now, they are both on .3 Premarin and neither will give it up entirely. Niether have had any issues.

But that is a decision you'll need to make down the road. If you want to continue and your dr. won't...then find another doctor. And tell your doctor that according to studies, women with ovaries still produce some estrogen well into their 80's ...so chill out!
Unread 08-13-2008, 06:41 AM

My dr also indicated that according to the WHI study the 5 year mark is when the risks begin to outweigh the benefits. However, I am 47, so the timing is pretty close to "normal" anyway, The plan is to "wean" me off HRT to mimic normal menopause. I am wondering if there are any studies going on now that include post-hysterectomy women and the other types of hormones, i.e, the patch. I am concerned because I am more even-keeled now then I was pre-surgery and I really like it (DH & family like it too

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register