Questions about cervix and ovaries -- surgery for fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about cervix and ovaries -- surgery for fibroids Questions about cervix and ovaries -- surgery for fibroids

Unread 08-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Questions about cervix and ovaries -- surgery for fibroids

Hello ladies! I am new to this board as of today. I'm 46, no kids or hubby and have a personal and family history of fibroids. My sister died at 43 due to cancerous fibroids that were removed via hysterectomy too late. My sisters and Mom also had problems with fibroids. I had a myomectomy five years ago, and now have two fibroids again that cause me extremely heavy periods. I've grown weary of the bleeding issues and don't want to wait much longer given some considerable risk of having developing cancerous fibroids. My OB/GYN says hysterectomy is now my only option. We tried controlling the bleeding with birth control pills, but it is not working for me. Here's my dilemna. I have about 30 days before my surgery and I can't decide if I should keep the ovaries (no problems with them) and I'm kind of confused about the importance (or non-importance) of keeping the cervix. I understand that we need the cervix to hold up the vaginal walls which seems important for sex after having my uterus removed. Can anyone tell me their experience of either keeping the ovaries and the cervix?? I know that the purpose of keeping the ovaries is to provide the natural hormones we need, and I also know that if I have my ovaries removed that it will throw me into menopause. I just afraid of an extreme hormone in-balance I've been reading about. I'd also be interested in hearing from ladies who've had total hysterectomy. What is life like after total hyst? Please post your thoughts...Thanks so much...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2008, 05:57 AM

Hi,
I had Laparoscopic Supracervical Hyst with BSO (ovaries and tubes out). I'm very happy with my decision. Kept the cervix (something my surgeon feels strongly about if it's healthy due to the reasons you stated above). I opted for ovaries out (I was 47 at the time) due to monthly issues. They were healthy, but I didn't feel the hormones they produced were helpful to me-- I had monthly depression/ups and downs, headaches, cramps, etc. I just decided I didn't want that instability anymore. Surprisingly, I feel much better on hormone replacement (bioidentical BiEst and Testosterone). My sex life is actually much better and I feel stable, with a rare headache. (It did, however, take about six months to get that stability). I can't say I ever truly felt "menopause". I haven't had true hot flashes -- but have gotten "warm" at times. I am very happy with the way things turned out.
I wish you the best with your decisions.
Unread 08-13-2008, 07:34 AM

Myself, I'm losing my cervix. It's painful during sex, and my doctor is a urogynecologist and doesn't believe that it makes any difference as far as bladder issues goes. I've read a lot online about that, and the latest opinions/research backs him up. Jury is still out for me on my ovaries - so far they are staying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2008, 02:06 PM

I kept my ovaries when I had my hysterectomy to prevent surgical menopause and the issues involving trying to find the right hormone balance. My doctors and I feel that my own hormones are better for me than HRT. This is not always the case for all ladies so talk to your GYN, family doctor, second opinion, etc. about what is best for you.

With regard to the cervix, mine was a problem so it was removed. I have not missed it a bit. I don't notice that I don't have it at all! There are a lot of different opinions about the cervix so, again, talk to your doctors about what is best for you. Keep in mind that fibroids can grow on the cervix (which is the bottom portion of the uterus rather than a separate organ) so if you retain your cervix you might have a future issue.

In the end we all have to research, talk to our medical team, and do what is best for our specific situation! s
Unread 08-13-2008, 02:19 PM

I kept my cervix, but everything else was removed. I kept my cervix because I had normal paps, didnt have a family history of cervical cancer, and it was healthy and for the reasons you stated also.
I am not taking any HRT due to endo, and I too was worried for the surgical menopause but praise God I have almost no symptoms at all. only get a little warm on the back of the neck while sleeping, its really nothing.

do alot of searching, reading and ask all the questions you need to make a decision that is best for you...praying for Gods guidance in you decision making...hug.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register