Realistic return-to-work time frame after LAVH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Realistic return-to-work time frame after LAVH? Realistic return-to-work time frame after LAVH?

Unread 08-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Realistic return-to-work time frame after LAVH?

I am scheduled for a LAVH Sept 26th. My doc told me that I would be off work anywhere from 3 days to 6 weeks. He has no set time frame. It goes on how you feel. My question is though for those who have had this done, Is it realistic to think that I could be back to work full time within a week or less or should I plan to be off a bit longer? Also, I work at a desk job. MOstly sitting and working at a computer all day with some walking around and bending to get charts etc.

Thanks for any input you can give. I just find this hard to believe since when I had my gall bladder out they had me off for about 10 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2008, 05:56 PM

I find it hard to believe also--lol! I am at 4 weeks post-op today, and let me tell you there is no way I would have been ready to go back to work at one week. Sitting was a very uncomfortable position for me up until last week, I really prefer a position with my legs up and my upper body leaning back even now. Don't get me wrong, I feel great and have had almost zero complications, but this is major surgery and you will need time to recover and heal. The first three weeks I wasn't up and around for more than 1/2 hour at a time and even then I was exhausted. I am off work for 6 weeks and very glad for it. Even though the outside of your body will look virtually normal (except for the tiny lap incisions), the inside has had a major injury. Everyone is different, of course, and heals at different rates, but I haven't heard of anyone back to work 1 week after an LAVH in the post-op message boards. Best wishes and hugs to you!
Unread 08-14-2008, 06:06 PM

I'm at 2 weeks post-TLH and I can't imagine going back to work after a week. And I sit at my job as well. No way. My doc said that week 2 is the danger zone because it's the week the body really starts its healing work, yet everyone tends to feel better and overdo it. And trust me, overdoing it leads to bad days. The other caution is if you go back to work too soon, your co-workers may treat you/expect you to be at 100%, even if you're not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2008, 06:13 PM

I agree with ampyali! And I can not even fathom that anyone would be back to work in a week - no matter what the job is! I am 6 weeks post-op and Monday I will return to work half days to start, then back full time. You should plan on taking as much time as you can. This is MAJOR surgery and like ampyali - in a few weeks after you may look normal, heck, even feel pretty darned good - but your insides still have a lot of healing to do. If we can't have sex for 6 weeks then why should we think we can go back to work sooner? - LOL. Some days are better than others but I still get pooped after doing too much.

Don't sweat the small stuff - housework, work, etc. will all still be there when you recover. You deserve to take the time and heal right the first time. If you don't then you can end up with a whole other set of issues to deal with.

Best of Luck!!
Unread 08-14-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SondraD
I'm at 2 weeks post-TLH and I can't imagine going back to work after a week. And I sit at my job as well. No way. My doc said that week 2 is the danger zone because it's the week the body really starts its healing work, yet everyone tends to feel better and overdo it. And trust me, overdoing it leads to bad days. The other caution is if you go back to work too soon, your co-workers may treat you/expect you to be at 100%, even if you're not.

This is soooo true - I went into work for my son's last day of school (I am an administrator at a pre-school) and everyone thought I looked great so when are you coming back etc. That was at about 4 weeks post-op. Well, what so you think they thought when I told them not only was I not coming in these last 2 1/2 days of this week but coming back part-time next week?!? Unless someone has been through this they really don't get it.
Unread 08-14-2008, 06:30 PM
How will I feel 2 1/2 weeks post LAVH

Ok, I am having my LAVH 8/19/08 and my doctor said 4 weeks off, may feel like working part time in 2 weeks. From this thread doesn't sound like it...But my real worry is that on 9/5 (about 2 1/2 weeks post surgery) I am scheduled to go on a leadership retreat for 2 1/2 full days of activity including evenings and staying in a nasty cabin at a girls scouts camp. I can probably (and will need to) get out of the physical activities (low ropes course) but will I even feel like meeting in study groups, listening to lectures, and socializing for 2 1/2 grueling days (will need to leave my house at 6:30 am the first day but will get husband to drive me). What do you think?
Unread 08-14-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle63
Ok, I am having my LAVH 8/19/08 and my doctor said 4 weeks off, may feel like working part time in 2 weeks. From this thread doesn't sound like it...But my real worry is that on 9/5 (about 2 1/2 weeks post surgery) I am scheduled to go on a leadership retreat for 2 1/2 full days of activity including evenings and staying in a nasty cabin at a girls scouts camp. I can probably (and will need to) get out of the physical activities (low ropes course) but will I even feel like meeting in study groups, listening to lectures, and socializing for 2 1/2 grueling days (will need to leave my house at 6:30 am the first day but will get husband to drive me). What do you think?

No way - get out of the whole thing.....you might be feeling better but your body will be in no way ready for any part of that scenario - even if you just skip out of the physical stuff. I don't know who is putting out there that everything is peachy after a few weeks but everyone really needs to take a step back a realize that this is major surgery. I had the DaVinci which is supposed to be the quickest healing and my doc still wanted me to take the entire 6 weeks if possible. Plus, everyone heals different and what if (heaven forbid) there are unforseen complications? It is better to plan for the longest amount possible and then if you can go back between 4-6 weeks - more power to ya'.....I just don't recommend it at all.
Unread 08-14-2008, 07:24 PM

My surgery is on the 29th and my doc told me 6 weeks off. I want to go back at 4 weeks, but I know I won't be able to. I work in the schools and I miss the kids and I won't be there the first day back to school and to be off 6 weeks is already killing me and it hasn't even started. I can't believe that a doc would say in a week someone could return to work. I've had 8 surgeries and non were that quick of a return and non were this major either. Take the 6 weeks, I know I'll need it.
Unread 08-14-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle78
I am scheduled for a LAVH Sept 26th. My doc told me that I would be off work anywhere from 3 days to 6 weeks. He has no set time frame. It goes on how you feel. My question is though for those who have had this done, Is it realistic to think that I could be back to work full time within a week or less or should I plan to be off a bit longer? Also, I work at a desk job. MOstly sitting and working at a computer all day with some walking around and bending to get charts etc.

Thanks for any input you can give. I just find this hard to believe since when I had my gall bladder out they had me off for about 10 days.
AHH yeah...I think 3 days to one week is not very wise. I also had my gal-b out and this {for me personally} has be 10x harder!
I am 5 weeks po-op and I'm not ready. I had a period here and there when I've felt better....there fore I THOUGHT I could do more...and then I felt WORSE days later and was on the coach again...
{for me..} sitting and bending over is part of the problem. Most comfortable when my tummy/core is flat...laying down.
GOOD LUCK...take as much time as you can....or recovery will take even longer!
*S
31, mom of 3
LVAH 7/8
Unread 08-14-2008, 09:24 PM

Take the 6 weeks off. I am 2 1/2 weeks out and yeah I feel good and feel like I can do things, but that changes real quick. And you mentioned bending, that is a no no. If I were you I would request the 6 weeks off and if you feel better than try it part time. I agree with a pp once you go in you are stuck and you might end up with some bad days and than what are you going to do?

Please take care of yourself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register