TVH, A&P sched 11/7 Frightened... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH, A&P sched 11/7 Frightened... TVH, A&P sched 11/7 Frightened...

Unread 08-19-2008, 12:56 AM
TVH, A&P sched 11/7 Frightened...

I am 43. Scheduled for a TVH and A&P 11/7 (first available surgery date for doc). I have slight urinary incontinence, super thick endometrial lining, and had one incredibly painful SUPER CYST (that was enough for me). The incontinence requires me to always wear a panty liner type poise pad and I am susceptible to recurring UTIs. Also, the pressure is increasing and I'm getting fed up with living like I'm 90 when I'm only 43. Doc says to just go ahead and fix this all at once. I'm done making babies, so why not...

Thing is... I am frightened, bordering on terrified. I have never had any type of surgery. EVER. Not even tonsils. I did have stitches for episiotomies, don't think that counts. Never even been anesthesized, except for 10 minutes for wisdom tooth extraction... don't seriously count that either.

I have no idea what to expect from the anesthesia, how I'll react, if I'll know where I am when I wake up or if I'll freak out... don't know what to expect after the surgery, the recovery, the pain, the CATHETER (never had one of those either). How long I have to/get to stay in the hospital...

I do have the ability to set up a room at home with meals/microwave/tv etc within arms reach... and I am blessed with ownership of a real electric hospital bed (used to be my Mom's).

I know my friends and my church family will help out with meals and such... but I don't really have anyone to stay with me.

How much help will I really need once I get home? I mean, if all of my food, medicine, bathing and entertaining needs are within arms reach anyway... ? I've been offered a bed in someones home but I wouldn't be comfortable unless I was in my own home... I don't really WANT constant companionship but I don't know how much help I'll actually need.

Ok, way to long and rambling... I'll read posts instead of asking so many questions that have probably already been answered...

Tracey in VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2008, 06:44 AM
TVH, A&P sched 11/7 Frightened...

Tracey,

I had a TVH/BSO w/postier repair in May and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. My uterus was prolapsed and full of fibroids along with weakening my vagina so the rectum pushed forward into it.

Since your scheduled for a TVH w/A and P repair all of your incisions will be inside as mine were. I did have an episiotomy with it and that was the only outside stitching.
As far as pain everyone is different....I did not have much pain at all.

You will want some help around the house with things like laundry,cleaning and heavy lifting......and someone there in case you need help in the shower until you know how you feel.
I wasn't aloud to lift anything heavier then a gallon of milk for 6wks, and I think that is pretty standard for everyone having this surgery.

You'll do fine w/surgery and you'll be groggy for awhile after surgery and want to sleep which is normal also but you should know where you are at afterwards. the nurses are pretty good at talking to you and asking you questions. They'll take good care of you. If you have questions about the anethesia you should as your doctor and he/she should answer those for you.

I just looked at it like I was having a baby.....you still have to go thru the prep as you did when you had your children.....as far as a catheter there shouldn't be any problems there either but then again everyone is different but the nurses will take care of you.

Just remember that this is major surgery and it will take you time to heal....you will need to rest as much as possible and walking will also help in that process. Please don't try any hills though...going up isn't to bad its the coming back down that isn't. Little walks around the house to begin with unless you have someone with you and feel up to longer ones. My dh was home with me for the first week and we would walk to the end of our drive and back until I felt like going further.

Good luck and don't get yourself worked up over it some much....you'll be fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register