Seeking answers post-TAH/BSO | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Seeking answers post-TAH/BSO Seeking answers post-TAH/BSO

Unread 08-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Seeking answers post-TAH/BSO

I am 44 yrs old. I had an abdominal hysterectomy including cervix, tubes and ovaries on 08/15/08 due to diagnosed with high grade endometrial cancer. staging not completed yet.

I have many questions that med professionals don't want to give me an answer to. upon hospital discharge, they said everything looked fine.

1. how long before I experience surgical menopause symptoms?

2. I went into surgery at 153#'s and came home 3 days later and weighed 165#'s. what happened?

3. I am very swollen above bikini incision and below into pubic/urine area flaps. more so on the left than the right side. what is happening to my body? the incision looks very good.

4. I stopped taking Tylenol 3 on day 3 post op. I do not feel constipated but have gas pains. I am gassy but have not had a BM. i am urinating normally without pain.

any tips on recovering would be greatful. I feel way better if I walk, but then the swelling gets worse. swelling increases and area is hot to the touch. my temperature is 97.5-98.4F.

thanks in advance for the info and suggestions.

Elizabeth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2008, 05:04 PM

Hi Elizabeth
Under post-op section of this site if you go to the section called 'checkpoints week 1-2" you will find a bunch of the stuff you are asking about. Its a great reference. Check it out.

#1 You may never get symptoms or it might take time or you might start tomorrow. Each person is different.

#2 You are heavier after surgery due to air trapped in the body, swelly belly and trauma of surgery. It will probably fluctuate for several weeks or you just might lose all of it and more. It really depends on the individual.

#3 That swollen stuff is called swelly belly, see #2

#4 For constipation try using MOM or miralax(ask doc on this one) stool softeners help a lot. Gas tabs or gas-x for the gas. I had to take them each time I ate for the first 2.5 weeks.
You really want to prep for that first BM, make sure you take your stool softeners to keep it from being hard, thats what will make it painful. Make sure you have a pillow with you when you go and let it come out on its own. Do NOT push and try not to strain. Eat fruits and veggies and lots of water. walking helped me keep the gas down and helped 'move' my system.

The swelling will get worse with walking but will eventually calm down. I would take ibupofen (if you can) each day as it will help with the discomfort and help with inflammations. I still take it and I'm 5 weeks out because it does seem to help with the discomfort times and the swelling. I am more swollen on my left side than my right side myself. It is starting to even out.

Make sure you keep rested and do NOT over do no matter how good you feel. Check out posts in the last day or two about this. Catch up on movies or books while you recover. There are a lot of great ideas on this site, just click on all the links
Take care and don't forget to
Unread 08-19-2008, 05:08 PM

1. how long before I experience surgical menopause symptoms?Any time now

2. I went into surgery at 153#'s and came home 3 days later and weighed 165#'s. what happened? b/c if the IV and how much they gave you
3. I am very swollen above bikini incision and below into pubic/urine area flaps. more so on the left than the right side. what is happening to my body? the incision looks very good.I can't help you much as i had a vag hyst
4. I stopped taking Tylenol 3 on day 3 post op. I do not feel constipated but have gas pains. I am gassy but have not had a BM. i am urinating normally without pain. you should be taking colace just to help get things going again

hope that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2008, 06:13 PM

You are swollen due to inflammation and the trauma of surgery. Your body retains fluid to try to begin its repair work. the swelling goes into your pubic area thanks to gravity. Ibuprofen was a great help to me as i couldn't tolerate the oral pain meds very well. I took 800mg every 8 hours. I found that a hot water bottle felt soooo good on my incision, but with your swelling, something cool may feel better. I was already into menopause when I had my surgery, so hot flashes were not new to me. Eventually you will loose the extra water. Oddly enough, drinking lots of water helps your body flush out the stuff it is retaining--it also helps prevent urinary tract infections and constipation. I used stool softners plus senna laxatives until i could poop then i continued to use stool softners plus lots of water for about one month. good luck!

tah/bso 4/08
49 yrs old
Unread 08-19-2008, 08:10 PM

It looks like you had most of your questions answered.

I had the same surgery and after one week had no menopausal symptoms. My Doc said I might not get any if they hadn't started by then. They began after about two or three months. I'm overweight and they say some estrogen is stored in the fat cells so it may be that it took a while for my estrogen reserves to be used up.

I would say that by 6 months post-op I knew what I was dealing with, nothing new since then and I'm 9 months out.l
Unread 08-19-2008, 10:18 PM

Hi Elizabeth,
You have received some wonderful replies for the questions you have asked. I do want to invite you to the Cancer Concerns Forum of HysterSisters if you have any questions regarding the cancer diagnosis.

s
Jane
Unread 08-20-2008, 06:58 AM

thank you all very much for the replies. i really appreciate it and it has put my mind at ease.

have a great day.

Elizabeth
Unread 08-20-2008, 09:53 AM

My swelly belly is larger on the right side. My doc explained it like this: The layers of your abdomen are: skin on top, fat in the middle, and muscle under fat. Internal stitches are placed in muscle not fat, so the fat may "bunch" up on top of the stitched muscle. She said the fat will eventually (sort of) dispurse itself, but I may always have a little bump there. As far as the menopausal symptoms, I'm still waiting too. I'm taking estradiol and Effexor, so I'm sure that is helping.
Unread 08-20-2008, 01:42 PM

shoot I will always have that fat there You would think they could take some of it out for crying out loud! I mean shoot why can't they make us feel better knowing we are going to be swelly!
I swear I'm gonna have a tummy tuck one of these days (been saying this for years) maybe a breast lift too hahaha I crack me up. Dh thinks I am perfect but what does he know
Unread 08-21-2008, 08:10 AM

Because he's DH, he's obligated to say you're perfect LOL. At least that's what my DH tells me. I am seriously thinking about a tummy tuck, but not sure if I will actually do it. I used to want to have a boob job when I was young and skinny (and thus had no boobs), but now that I am older and gained a few pounds I have the chest that I always wanted LOL. God taketh away and God giveth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register