How new is Da Vinci hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How new is Da Vinci hysterectomy? How new is Da Vinci hysterectomy?

Unread 08-20-2008, 10:52 PM
How new is Da Vinci hysterectomy?

Hello everyone,
I am waiting to be scheduled for an LSH and I have seen information about the de vinci hysterectomy. How new is this? My doctor didn't mention it to me so I'm guessing she doesn't do hysterectomies that way. I guess I should be glad I can have the LSH done, right? Just being curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2008, 10:59 PM

It's been around for a couple of years, however your physician would need additional fellowship training to do the hysterectomy this way. It is supposedly the least invasive way to do a hysterectomy with less blood loss and a faster recovery. I had mine done this way and I thoroughly researched it before I decided it was the way I wanted to do it. The equipment is very expensive and my Dr who is a Professer of Urogynecology is a Instructor here at the Medical College, but he is also a part of a cost sharing program at a womens center here and I was fortunate enough to get a referral to him from my military hospital. Anyway he was awesome and Im recovering nicely with no pain and no bleeding. Here is a link to the davinci website http://www.davincihysterectomy.com/index.aspx?id=hss
Unread 08-21-2008, 12:09 AM

My DR who is a very well known and respected, also a published writer, does not do davinchi, nor does he reccomended. He doesnt do vaginal or laporoscopic either because Florida has high premiums for malpractice insurance, and he cut those procedures off. With that said, he also informed me that those kinds of procedures have more risk to the patient and that even though abdomial takes more time to heal there is less risk in prolapse or injury to any other organs, especially the bladder. There are alot of ladies here who had a Davinci with no problems, and alot with knicks to the bladder, when they do this you have to wear a cathether home and from what I understand for quite some time too. Just take your time and do whatever you feel the most comfortable with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2008, 07:45 AM

Bkh-it has been around for a couple of years. Due to the expense and dedicated OR room, it is not available many places. My surgery was attempted using the DaVinci but I had to have it done abominally due to the severe endometriosis they found. My gyn didn't do this procedure so I was sent to a gynecologic oncologist. He warned me it may come down to having to do it conventionally. The DaVinci can take longer to perform but the benefits with recovery are much better. Make sure you research it well and know who will do it and how many they have performed. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 08-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Da Vinci

Hi, I had the Da Vince Robot surgery 1/30/08. I live in Des Moines, Iowa and my doctor <> does them at Mercy Hospital.

I had mine done and had like 30 people in there to watch..LOL But I had it done and was home the next day. Recovery was very easy. I moved around very well. I was up walking about 4 hours after surgery and in good spirits.

I was up the next morning going to the bathroom and went home that morning around 10:00 a.m.

I had the usual set backs like the rest of us here, like my belly was sore and gas and stuff. But I was so happy I had the chance to have it done.

My niece just had her uterus out only as it was enlarged 7/7/08 and they cut her hip to hip. She was in the hospital about 5 days and is still off work.

I went back to work 8 days after surgery and drove the car about 6 days after.

If you can get it, it is well worth it. It can get into the smallest sections of your body that the human hand has a hard time doing. It does not tug and pull on your body like the doctor would have too do to get into where they need to be. The tugging and pulling can make you very sore. I only had 5 very small incisions which I got out 5 days after surgery.

I was very happy with the Da Vinci Robot.
Unread 08-22-2008, 10:27 AM

If you want one, you have to find out which doctors have privileges to use the Da Vinci robot at your hospital. The hospital ensures that they are trained in it. They are very expensive to use, and from what I've seen, are mainly being used in difficult cases where doing one of the other procedures wouldn't work as well. I wonder how the insurance companies feel about paying for this kind of hyst?

The laparascopic surgeries (LAVH, LSH) also require additional training and privileges to use the equipment, although at this time there are no fellowship programs in laparascopic surgery for ob/gyn's. They generally get their training from a mentor.

Most ob/gyn's spend very little time in their residencies doing any kind of laparascopic surgery, or even TVH's. They do a great many c-sections and TAH's and are very experienced in open abdominal surgery, so they often opt for this. For anyone reading this, I think that if you like your gyn, you are better off going with the surgery that they feel they are the most proficient in, rather than pushing them to do a surgery they need more practice in. You want a good outcome, even if it means a longer recovery time.
Unread 08-22-2008, 06:42 PM

From what I understand, daVinci procedures are not common yet because the equipment is very expensive and doctors have to undergo extra training to be able to perform this surgery.

I did have a problem with my insurance company denying the surgeon's bill for the daVinci, even though my surgery was pre-certified. Upon appeal, however, the insurance company decided it was "medically necessary."

I asked my gyn onc how long he had been doing the daVinci and he told me 18 months. He does about 1 a week so not everyone is considered an appropriate candidate. He told me that my "habitus" - which I believe refers to my body structure - made me a candidate for the daVinci.

I felt a great deal of confidence in my doctor - even more than the procedure itself - and if he had given me reasons why I should not have a daVinci, I probably would have done what he suggested. But, he was the one who suggested the daVinci in the first place. And, I consented to an abdominal if it turned out during surgery that they would have to switch to that procedure instead.

The surgery took 4 hours - 1 hour longer than usual because I am a plus size woman - and I spent one night in the hospital. I was walking just a few hours aftter surgery. Except for a little granulation, I have had no side effects and absolutely no complications. Two weeks after surgery, I was released without any restrictions!
Unread 08-23-2008, 11:56 PM

I had the Da Vinci surgery also. My local hospital got the robot in the Fall of 2007 and had done about 80 surgeries by May of 2008, when I scheduled mine. There are only 7 Surgeons that have had the training, etc. to do the Da Vinci hysterectomy here, so I got lucky finding my Doc. My personal opinion based only on my experience is that it is a great way to go....I have had an excellent recovery. I, myself and most everyone I know has been shocked at how quickly I have recovered and how good I feel. I did have a much longer and more extensive surgery than we had hoped, since I had severe endo all over everything, and my Doc had said that my recovery might be harder than planned. But, I have been able to get back way faster than either she or I thought I would. I was released to drive at 2 weeks, and was able to return to work 1 day before 3 weeks. My doctor prefers at least 4 weeks for a surgery as extensive as mine and I would have prefered to have 4 weeks or so, but I am a teacher and was "freaking" out about getting back and getting ready for school. My Doc said that the only major problem she has had with Da Vinci is that women feel too good and can easily end up doing too much too soon.

For me...it was a great option...and my insurance covered it. I have heard of people driving hours in order to have it done. I do, however, think that everyone's recovery is different with every kind of hyst. I believe in doing research and then going with someone you trust and following your "gut" on what is right.

Blessings
Tank
Unread 09-12-2008, 05:55 PM

I was on the schedule for a TAH for October 1, I went in for my pre-visit with my gyn yesterday and he then suggested that I drive 2 hours to Roanoke VA to have the da vinci with a <>. It was after hours by the time I had finished at the dr's office and they called today to say that I was scheduled with <> on October 25. He is a gyn onc. I hope I got that right. I hate to put it off but I can see the attributes to having it done this way. I have severe endo.

Alicia
Unread 09-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Bebefits of daVinci versus Laproscopic?

My doctor in San Diego actually was one of the forerunners of the laprosopic method of hysterectomy. I'm scheduled to have this surgery performed at the end of the year, but in doing my research, I see the daVinci method seems to now be the best method of performing the operation.

Does anyone have some knowledge of what the difference is between the two procedures, and whether the daVinci is, indeed, the very best way to go. I am having elective surgery for large fibroids. I am 57 years old.

I have the opportunity to change health coverage to find a hospital that offers this method, and I will definitely do so if my impression is correct that this method is preferable to all others.

Thank you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register