sciatica pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

sciatica pain sciatica pain

Unread 08-24-2008, 06:16 AM
sciatica pain

Anyone else had sciatica due to fibroids?
I'm hoping there is a connection there, and that it will be gone after my hysterectomy. Also my fibroid was 8cm 2yrs ago. I feel as if it has grown. How quickly can they grow?
Is that a large fibroid? Appreciate any answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2008, 08:19 AM
sciatica pain

Hi Soraya...

I've had troublesome fibroids for years and have experienced sciatica pain and sometimes numbness in my left leg at times (the left side is also where I have had some of the most problematic fibroids). Although I do think that the fibroids are probably contributing, it’s hard to know for sure (but for a couple years after my first fibroid surgery the sciatia/numbness issues lessened significantly). For me they also seem to cause back pain and I think they’re pressing on various nerves. So I hope that after my hysterectomy that my troubles with back pain and occasional sciatica/numbness will go away completely. That being said, everyone is different and there could be other factors involved.

8cm is fairly big, but lots of women have grown ones that are even bigger. The rate of growth can vary a lot and can be influenced by a variety of factors, estrogen levels being a big contributor. Although many women don’t have symptomatic fibroids, even small ones can cause problems depending type and where they are located. Several years ago one of mine had cause my right ovary to twist (Ouch!).

It’s hard to know if yours has grown or is fast growing unless you have periodic imaging tests (like ultrasound) to check measurements. Have your doctors been doing any tests to check the status of the fibroids?

I’ve dealt with lots of fibroid stuff, including having an abdominal myomectomy in 2002 (but I grew new fibroids)…so if you have any other questions, I’d be happy to try and help.
Unread 08-24-2008, 08:34 AM
sciatica pain

Thanks so much for your reply. It is so nice to be able to share thoughts and worries with others.
I found out about my fibroids 2 yrs ago and have suffered from sciatica for 3 yrs. After accupuncture 1 1/2 yrs ago it has lessened considerably but not totally.
My fibroids were measured once at the beginning. But I feel it has grown since. My stomach is quite large in the mornings with a full bladder making it protrude ( i think) I am scheduled for a LSH/BSO in sept. Oct. still waiting for an appointment. I am 49, had three children, now 4 grandchildren. and live in Ontario Canada.
Looking forward to keeping in touch,
good luck with your surgery Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2008, 12:04 PM
sciatica pain

I have sciatica pretty bad from my 8cm fibroid. Hoping the LSH will take care of that.
Unread 08-24-2008, 01:28 PM
sciatica pain

I can't say about the scatica, but I know fibroids can grow fast. I go for a yearly checkup every year, and it wasn't until last summer that I even knew that I had them. My periods had gotten steadily worse during that time, and my doctor said my uterus was the size of a 14 week pregnancy. I had a TAH last summer and am glad I had it done.
Unread 08-25-2008, 12:43 PM
sciatica pain

I have severe endo as well as a 45 degree curve from scoliosis and a torn disc. My uterus is immovable and completely fixed in my abdomen. When I get my period, my back goes out, every month, like clockwork. I am convinced that the back nerves are connected to the front nerves via my endo. The only good thing is that the muscle relaxers help with the cramps.

I am hoping that afterwards (sched. 8/29) it will be easier to take care of my back.....
Unread 08-27-2008, 06:52 AM
sciatica pain

Wishing us all some luck and relief, Scheduled for Oct 2nd.
Now wondering whether or not to keep my healthy ovaries. My Dr thinks they would be better out at my age and because I am perimenopausal anyway. No history of cancer in my family??????
I keep reading contradicting reports. As many for as against taking them out.
Unread 08-27-2008, 10:28 PM
sciatica pain

Wow! Could it be my sciatica is from my fibroids or at least aggravated by them. My largest fibroid is 16.5cm. The doctor says the size of a baby's head. The good thing would be if that is the cause of my sciatica and when I have this "U" removed next week that pain will go with it. Hallelujah!!. Interesting to hear this could be why I have that pain though.
Unread 09-22-2008, 12:54 PM
sciatica pain

Just a follow-up.
Hope all your surgery's went well and you are feeling better and on the road to a new life.
Probably a little to early to see if your sciatica has improved, looking forward to hearing back from any of you.
Ohmightyv, what size was your fibroid? apparantly my uterus is 14 week size too.
Lisa, how are you coping with this waiting period? It's getting closer for us!! good luck, I am having an Abdominal Hysterectomy poss removal of ovaries and cervix. Depending on how they look.
Unread 09-22-2008, 01:04 PM
sciatica pain

I had abdominal Hyster. Took it all. I didn't want my crazy ovaries. They were perimenapausel since age 33, I had migraines for years and I was REALLY sick of that pms etc. They are GONE. I am feeling great now! I didn't want to have surgery again later to take them out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register