Increasing estrogen needs? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Increasing estrogen needs? Increasing estrogen needs?

Unread 08-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Increasing estrogen needs?

Is it usual for your estrogen needs to keep increasing post-op? I started out on the .05 generic weekly patch right after surgery which was fine until about 2 and 1/2 months later when I had all kinds of anxiety, insomnia, hot flashes, etc., so the dose was upped to .075. I understand that I had probably exhausted my stored reserves by then, so it made sense that I needed more of the patch. A month later it was plain that 0.075 wasn't enough, so we upped it again to 0.1. The generic at that size was like trying to glue a coaster to my butt, so I changed to the name brand Climara. Now it's been about six weeks and I'm having signs that I'm not getting enough estrogen again. I'm at the highest dose available and have decided to add about 1/5 of another patch to see if I can get back to feeling decent again. Is this usual for the first year postop? Can I look forward to increasing things yet again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2008, 12:18 PM

Hi Sciencegeek - that's funny about the generic. I was just upped to the .1 Climara and when I picked up my prescription they had filled it with the generic. Back I went and they did give me the Climara. Boy was that box huge! I'm a little worried about the Climara being too big can't imagine what the generic was like.

I too went from .05 to .075 and soon to .1 patch. I do think we use up our stored estrogen but I certainly hope that the .1 works for me. I haven't been miserable on the .075 but I've had some insomnia still and dryness issues. So, I'm going to give the .1 a try!

Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful. I am curious to see what other responses you receive.

Take Care,

Teresa
Unread 08-25-2008, 02:39 PM

Don't know if this is going to help you or not. It is just my experience.
It's been a little over a year since my surgery. I started on Premarin .625 (about 3 months) went to 1.25 then to .9 (about 5 months). The 1.25 was too much and the .9 not enough. Switched to Vivell dot patch .075, just recently went up to .1. But I had to come back down to .075 due to anxiety and swelling. I think I need the .1 but have to use the .075 which doesn't feel like it is enough sometimes. Since being on the .075 patch I have been using vagifem 2x week too and some premarin cream. With all of this together there are more good days than bad.
Wish you luck in finding something that will work for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2008, 11:58 AM

I think it is common for your estrogen needs to change during the first year while your body adjusts to losing your ovaries. I had to increase my estrogen when I was 50 and 15 years out from surgery. I added an additional .025 patch. You are not alone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register