first chemo & radiation down ( whew) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

first chemo & radiation down ( whew) first chemo & radiation down ( whew)

Unread 08-25-2008, 03:26 PM
first chemo & radiation down ( whew)

I received my first chemo and radiation today , I got home about an hour ago!! I feel okay just make a little speedy and a tiny nausua , Im exhausted, 5 hours seems like forever, for some reason I could not put my mind in the mindset of reading, wish I could have because I enjoy reading alot. The only thing the nurses were worried about its that I turned sheet white but being a red head that often happens Any suggestions of what to eat later, I need something that will sit okay in my stomach, Im starting to feel somewhat hungry, I think thats a good think. I nibbled on some cheese ' its when I got home. Well it wasnt so bad I think my nerves got the best of me!! The nurses are soo nice and sweet and kind. I came home with Emmend (spelling) Zofran, adivan, and compzine? Im not sure of all the spellings but Im sure for those who had chemo you know what I am talking about, Im so glad one down 5 to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2008, 04:37 PM

Congrats on completing your 1st chemo. I took Emend the day of chemo and the 2 days following, I also took compazine. I was told to eat what I could tolerate, the goal the nurses said was to consume calories to prevent weight loss. They said if I could stomach it to try drinking milk shakes because of the calories and I would get a little nutrition as well. I was lucky enough to be able to tolerate the shakes. Steroids were given the day of chemo which increased the apetite, but the few days after chemo were the days of nausea, but everybody is different. You will get plenty of responses of others experiences and good advice.
Unread 08-25-2008, 05:28 PM

Congrats on getting that first one done and under your belt. Now that you know what to expect,the rest will be a peice of cake!

As for food choices...something mild and comforting,but not too heavy. I had no problem with eating while I was on chemo. It has been recommended by some to avoid your favorite foods as if they taste bad, upset your stomach, you won't want to enjoy them later when you are done chemo.

Everything tasted bland for me when I was on chemo, and I went WAAAY overboard with the salt. Try to avoid that, ok? Too much salt is not good for anyone.

You know what I said when people used to tell me that?
"Neither is cancer! Pass the salt and Leave me alone!"
(hey, I can laugh about it now....)

Bottom line, eat what you want, when you want. Avoid filling up too full...graze your way through the day. Drink LOTS of fluids.

Did they talk to you about stool softeners?

Keep up the great attitude!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2008, 07:16 PM

So glad to hear you have gotten through your first treatment. Be sure and take it easy!
Unread 08-25-2008, 07:46 PM

WTG!!!!

It's a relief when yo uget the first one done and out of the way! It also reduces a lot of the anxiety with future treatments.

As the other have said, don't eat unti lyou're full, just kinda snack on things. I too was told to what whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. There are no more "rules" about eating. Granted, the will want you to try and eat something healthy, but eating in general is the important part.

Make sure to stay on top of the nausea by taking the meds as directed for the next few days.
Unread 08-25-2008, 08:33 PM

Thank you all for your support, I still kinda fell yukcy , just a bit, kind of waves ov nausea, I caught myself a couple times wanting to vomit, over a sip of coffee, I LOVE coffee...... overhaul I have to say I could work, right now, I could clean , im just really tired, and all the anxiety contributed it too... Im going to bed soon Im not sure how that is going to go but I did bring the compazine up to my nightstand. With all of you I would have been way more nervous. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your support and knowledge
Unread 08-25-2008, 09:00 PM

Sleep well, Jean..you've had quite a day.

Unread 08-26-2008, 05:05 AM

Wow, I woke up and I feel pretty good, looking back I must have been out of it, because I re read my post and all I see is many many typo's ( sorry) ! Still feeling pretty good today, maybe a little groggy, but I did sleep good and feel pretty good through out the night. They told me to drink gatoraid it was GROSS !! That sort of flipped my stomach, I felt like that was going to make me throw up!! Water was good it did the trick and I am packing up a few for work. Thank you so much again!
Unread 08-26-2008, 09:42 AM

Hey hon, try the Gatorade Rain flavors, or the Tiger flavors. I too hate the other ones, the taste is just too strong. The rain line is a bit lighter. The tangerine tastes like orange to me. And I can only find the cherry at gas stations, not the local grocery stores. The Tiger flavors are strong, so I'll add about 1/4-1/2 water to them.
Unread 08-26-2008, 11:46 AM

Well I went home for lunch from work and my dd thought she would be sweet she made me a grilled cheese , it smelled sooooooo good but wow , I almost didnt make it back to work, it tasted like " salt" funny because so did the gaterade, I have had a yucky stomach most of the day I feel sort of tired but , well Im at working and working away trying not to think about ,y big soft bed!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register