Benign cyst. Terminal cancer. Benign cyst. ....... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Benign cyst. Terminal cancer. Benign cyst. ....... Benign cyst. Terminal cancer. Benign cyst. .......

Unread 08-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Benign cyst. Terminal cancer. Benign cyst. .......

Today has been the most awful day yet.

This is the tale of my 2 oncologists. Let's call them Dr. S (for Sunshine) and Dr. D (for Doom). Dr S is the medical oncologist, who manages my case and orders chemo. Dr. D is a gynecologic oncologist, who did my initial surgery.

from Day 1 --
Dr. S: You'll be around for 10+ years. Go home and enjoy and live your life. We''l manage this thing.
Dr. D: Ovarian cancer is a death sentence. Go home and get your affairs in order.

Last week --
Dr. S: The CT scan shows a benign cyst. Very low probability of it being anything else. (Which is what the radiologist's report said -- I've read it myself.)

Today --
Dr. D: It's definitely a recurrence. Surgery is a waste of time. We could try chemo but it probably won't do any good. and of course he was certain Dr. S had already told me this, so he blurted it out pretty bluntly.

It's like ping-pong! The chemo doc sends me to the surgeon to get the cyst taken care of, and the surgeon tells me to go try some chemo. I'm either fine, or the situation is grave.

Either way, I'm done with the psychological torture these 2 have put me through. Tomorrow morning I'm requesting an independent second (third?) opinion. Tonight, I'm working on keeping my head from exploding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2008, 07:28 PM

Hello,

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. Are you near a large hospital or university where you could be evaluated by a team rather than the Keystone Kops?

I would think they would at least want to remove the cyst to see what it is...I wish you the best. Please see another team of docs. Hang in there!

me
Unread 08-27-2008, 07:28 PM

SisC ,

I am so sorry that the doctors are playing ping pong with you, it is not fair! You will be in my prayers!
's
Barb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2008, 07:29 PM

Wow, does anyone, doctor or not know what "you may have ovarian cancer means to the person they say it to? I'm just getting over TAH, and I was told beforehand it most likely was cancer, it turned out not to be, but, wow, I just can't stop thinking that I'm still not, or will ever be confident in what doctors say. Best bet, get a NEW opinion.
Unread 08-27-2008, 07:36 PM

OMG, Sis, that is horrible! Words can't even describe what I'm feeling for you right now....no one deserves to be treated like that. PLEASE....can you find another team that works together? I was so blessed that my gyn/onc has a chemo suite and I didnt need to go to a medical oncologist. Another set of eyes is great...but not if they are going to be so far apart in their medical opinions and be pulling you like taffy! You poor thing! I hope you can find some resolution here.

Unread 08-27-2008, 07:46 PM

Hi, I am so sorry to learn what you are going through. It seems these two doctors may not be consulting with each other re your case and I am glad you will seek another opinion. If you want to look for some major cancer centers, you might want to check out this site for the National Comprehensive Cancer Centers http://www.nccn.org/members/network.asp; they have at least a couple facilities in your state. Pls let us know how you make out. I'll be keeping you in prayer.
s
Unread 08-27-2008, 07:48 PM

My heart goes out to you hon, I hope you find better doctors soon. No one should have to go through what you have.
Unread 08-27-2008, 07:49 PM

GOod gosh!! I agree with the other women, go find another doc! I'd be tempted to ask Dr. S for a referral to a different surgeon. However, bringing in an entire new set of eyes may be your best bet thus far.

I know there are women on here that dealt with the "go home and deal with your affairs" only to have another doc say "we're not done with you yet!"

One thing I've learned from the amazing women here is to NEVER give up hope.
Unread 08-27-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meand5dogs
Are you near a large hospital or university where you could be evaluated by a team rather than the Keystone Kops?
Umm ... The Keystone Kops ARE the large university medical center. Dr. D is Director of Gyn/Onc there. Dr. S is affiliated with them, but has his practice off-site, closer to where I live. I'm aiming for the next largest hospital system in the area. And if they can't get it together, I'll head to the larger city north of here.
Unread 08-27-2008, 08:05 PM

You keep on looking, SisC. If my parents hadn't kept on pushing for me when I was very ill as a little girl, I probably would not be here now. Help can come from the most unexpected source - it was an ordinary GP who found what helped me. I will be rooting for you every step of the way!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register