Question about anti-depression medication | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about anti-depression medication Question about anti-depression medication

Unread 08-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Question about anti-depression medication

2008 has been the worst year of my life, and it shows no signs of ending. Today I got a letter from Medicaid denying my claim, even though I have no insurance, and am not working (since July 22) so not getting any income. Here in Utah the offices are closed Fridays so I can't call until Tuesday, with the holiday. I'm so stressed because I have no money and no assets so what more do they require? I have to laugh between the tears since no one will get paid and I'm already getting second notices for various bills. My mom says I should get on antidepressants, an idea I loathe, yet she says they help clear your mind so you can think better. I thought they fogged things up so you don't care about problems.

Has anyone here had to take these drugs to help them through their surgeries and recoveries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2008, 03:55 PM

I've been on A/D for the past 10 years. They keep me level. I don't get overly excited about anything, and I don;t get overly upset over anything. Although I do find them helping alot with the adjustment since my surgery. By that I mean mood swings, and flashes so far are under control, I am not on any HRT.
Unread 08-29-2008, 04:29 PM

2005 for me! A very bad year. I talked to my primary dr. about my depression then (yes, depression is very real, not just something we can turn on and off!) and started on an anti-depressant. They should start you out at a very low dose then gradually increase the dose. I take Zoloft and 50mg seems to work best for me. When I take more I'm less depressed but I get the 'brain fog'. I recently talked to her about my anxiety, I actually lost my job last year due to a panic attack I had at work. So I have Atavan (generic is Lorazapam) and take that as needed which isn't very often.

Yes, I truly believe the a/d's help with my recovery from my hyst., too. You can contact some of the major pharmacitical companies if you cannot pay for your medicine. When I lost my job last year I looked into it, send me an IM if you would like some info, it might save you hours of research.

I see from your siggy that you where diagnosed with cancer, how can Medicaid deny your claim for a life-threatening disease? Take it higher up if you have to! Those of us who are working help pay for these type of benefits; it infuriates me to hear these kind of things!

And for me I felt an almost instant change in my body when I started on 12.5 mg of Zoloft. Within 1 hour I felt like I was a computer being fully defragged and my moods were much better. It helped pull me out of a very black, deep, dark pit of depression! For now just work on healing and I find that prayer helps alot, too! Oh one more thought......keep yourself very busy (following dr.'s rules, no lifting, cleaning etc....) as this may be a long, torturous weekend for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2008, 04:31 PM

I've been on them for 9 years. And they have helped me keep my wits about me. I have had my mom pass away, my dad has Alzheimers and now my hyster. You need to talk to a doc and let them know exactly what is going on in your life. I honestly don't know what I would do without them.
Unread 08-29-2008, 04:49 PM

Tranquilizers will fog your mind. Antidepressants, provided it's the right one for you, can make you feel "normal." It takes about two weeks for them to start working and you don't want to abruptly quit them. If you decide not to take them anymore, you should wean off slowly. Most importantly, this is something you should talk to your doctor about.
Unread 08-29-2008, 05:43 PM

Interesting post b/c I JUST got home from PC to get a refererral for phychologist. As soon as I saw her and explained what has happened to me (hysto, then happy and healthy, then torn cuff) I started bawling. I told her exactly how I have been feeling and how I go from anxiety to depression. I told her I can't even think about going back to work without anxiety attacks, but being a single mom I have to work. It felt good to discuss the phychological aspects of what I am going through and it's all been since this emergency surgery.
Anyway -she gave me some samples of prestiq and said they will help with the depression and anxiety. She confirmed that I have had a traumatic event happen to me and that I am going through emotional strain of it all.

Sestra -I feel for you as 2008 has been the worst year of my life and I too am so stressed about finances. It is a scary feeling and this is one reason I went to PC -to see if I can take something to help me think clearly to figure out what to do next. Since this surgery, I feel like everything is all foggy and I get so overwhelmed I can't do anything. I am hoping these will help as well as having someone to talk to to help me through it. Don't feel bad about having to take anti-depressants, just think of it as asking for help. Soon things will get back on track and you will physically feel better and then you can get off of them (this is what I am telling myself)!
I firmly believe in mind/body/spirit -and if there is one off track -they can all get off track. Please take care of yourself and let us know how your doing.
Unread 08-29-2008, 07:12 PM

I have been on a/d for at least 15 years. I have to take them or I cannot function. They are not a bad thing to take for a little while just to get you through this hard time. Just know that the fog that you feel at first goes away and you start to feel better. Most people only have to take them for a little while to get them over the "hump." Hang in there!
Unread 08-29-2008, 07:38 PM

I've taken AD's for the last 4-5 years. Started on Paxil and now on Effexor. I plan on talking to the gyn/surgeon next week when I go in for my 4 week post op appt. Not sure if I want to discuss with him or wait and see the new woman dr I have a appt with on the 10th.? But since surgery mine hasn't been doing as well as before..maybe need adjusting.? All I know is the panic/anxiety since surgery is getting to me. I worry about every stupid twinge/pain since, not fun!

I hope you get everything worked out next week. Hugs
Unread 08-29-2008, 08:18 PM

Go to www.needy meds .com,,,look up meds, fill out app,,send it in...Good Luck! I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 08-29-2008, 08:21 PM

Well I have been on and off of them for the last 11yrs I know I am young but dr around here think they fix everything. Currently I am on zoloft at 50mg and it seems to help no foginess here, but keep me calm enough to think clearly. Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register