Testing Hormone Levels: Saliva or Blood better? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Testing Hormone Levels: Saliva or Blood better? Testing Hormone Levels: Saliva or Blood better?

Unread 08-30-2008, 02:13 AM
Question - Testing Hormone Levels: Saliva or Blood better? Testing Hormone Levels: Saliva or Blood better?

Hello, ladies!

I am only 10 days post-op, but I'm trying to be proactive on the hormonal front. I am already on an estrogen patch since coming home from the castle. I know that it's too early to tell much of anything, BUT I want to get my hormones tested to get a sort of baseline to work off of. I also am hypothyroid, so it's important for me to keep all of these hormones in check. So, my question is, would it be better to ask for blood (serum) testing of estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone or saliva testing instead? What have your experiences been with hormone testing? I would appreciate any information you could give me! Thank you so much!

Love,
Jennifer
LAVH/BSO 8/20/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Testing Hormone Levels: Saliva or Blood better?

Jennifer,
IMHO bloodwork is better. There is alot of controversy regarding the saliva method. Do keep in mind that testing really isn't the ultimate answer when it comes to your hrt. While it can be a useful tool, one to go hand in hand with your symptoms, test ranges are usually very broad and we all won't feel the same at a given level.

My doctor does what is called a Women's Hormonal Assessment. The test includes all three estrogens, progesterone, shbg, androgens and estrogen metabolism. I also annually have a complete bloodwork panel, to include the thyroid, cholesterol, etc.

Also IMHO I wouldn't do any testing just yet. Your levels are probably going to fluctuate as your body uses up its stored reserves of hormones and recovers from surgery. I would give it some more time before doing any testing.

Unread 08-30-2008, 07:33 PM

Kim M

What do you mean by estrogen metabolism test?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyanxious
Kim M

What do you mean by estrogen metabolism test?
The test measures 2-Hydroxyestrone,16alpha Hydroxyestrone and 2:16alpha-Hydroxyestrone ratio. It is kind of greek to me but basically I think it measures how well you are or are not metabolizing the estrogen in your body.
Unread 08-31-2008, 12:38 PM

Thank you soooooo much!
Unread 09-01-2008, 05:37 AM

How soon post BSO should you get accurate results?
Unread 09-01-2008, 09:18 PM

Proactive is a good thing!
it is different for everyone. the rule of thumb is that it takes about 3 months to use up your stores of hormones. the thing about saliva testing is that it measures the about of hormones that actually make it from the bloodstream into the tissues. I was one month post-op when i had both saliva and blood work done. the saliva testing showed that i was hypothyroid (no wonder i was always tired) which the blood work never showed. I'm feeling somuch better now!

tah/bso
4/08

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register