Am I doing the Right Thing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I doing the Right Thing? Am I doing the Right Thing?

Unread 08-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Am I doing the Right Thing?

Now that my surgery is a little over a week away, I am wondering if I am doing the right thing. Should I have gotten another opinion? Could there be another way to take care of the issues? I was so certain that it was the right thing to do a few days ago, and now, especially since I have seen picture of the top of the vagina sewed up, I am not freaking out so much, as second guessing. Freaking out was yesterday. It came up so quickly, and all of a sudden two weeks later I had surgery. I know that a lot of the problems are due to hormones and apparently a lot of the hormone issue will work out afterwards since there isn't a uterus. I also had the option to keep my cervic, but I didn't say anything to the doctor, so she is taking it out, which freaks me out. I also have a ovary issue that giving me hair, etc., but she wants me to keep my ovaries. Apparently I have fibroids which are causing me problems. She says that this is the best thing for me or she wouldn't be having me do it, but I heard her partner say the same thing to her patient not 10 minutes later, which freaked me out. What should I do? Is this the right thing to do? Do you know of anyone who has regreted having a hysterectomy? And if yes, why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2008, 01:02 PM

Hi Luvbooks1,

In my opinion...it can never hurt to get a 2nd opinion. Especially if you have any doubts. A hyst is *major* surgery so it is always a good idea to research it..and that sounds like what you would like to do. I got two opinions myself and it is still one of the best things I ever did. My 1st Dr. wanted to do an abdominal hyst for my fibroids and my 2nd Dr. recommended a laparoscopic hyst, a less invasive surgery.

I would say...just do what feels *right* for you. If you feel you need to reschedule your hyst to give yourself more time to think about it...maybe that might be a good idea. If not...and you feel ready...than go for it. Drs give us options and we make the final decision when it comes to our bodies.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 08-30-2008, 02:44 PM

lovebooks1,
I agree with historylady. Seek a second opinion. I wish you the best and let us know what you find out! Love and hugs to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2008, 02:53 PM

I agree too... if it is not an emergency situation... it is sooooo important to your health that you feel good about this decision... get as many opinions as you need in order to feel solid that you are doing the right thing for you and your health...
Unread 08-30-2008, 03:17 PM

I have to go with the rest of the ladies, get the second opinion. I got mine for my own piece of mind. I trust my dr but its nice to be assured it has to be removed.
Unread 08-30-2008, 03:19 PM

i would suggest you get a second opinion and do a lot of research on the different types of hysterectomies. since this isnt an emergency, you have the time to make the most informed decision you can make. you mentioned not being sure about removing your cervix and having a vaginal cuff...speak to your dr or a second opinion dr about what type of surgery you can have if you choose to keep it. there are a few less invasive surgeries that let you keep your cervix and/or ovaries. good luck!
Unread 08-31-2008, 02:36 AM

I agree with the other ladies, too. Granted, just about anybody is going to be anxious, BUT it is so important for you to be at peace going in, so that it doesn't drag you down coming out. It seems like a lot of systers that go in with these types of fears come out with all sorts of emotional issues because they didn't resolve them FIRST. It's kind of like one of those 'Now, I'll never know' sort of things. If this isn't an emergency, reschedule it, or make a list of questions/concerns and see your doctor again to answer those questions. If you don't mind me asking, what are you having your hyster for again?

Jennifer, 26
LAVH/BSO - endo, pcos, adhesions
Unread 08-31-2008, 06:17 AM

Absolutely - especially as you're having doubts - get at least another opinion. More if you like. Get all the information that you can and then make the decision that is best for you. We're all individuals and there's not a "one fits all " answer

S
Unread 08-31-2008, 07:44 AM

Definitely seek a 2nd opinion.

I have been hearing the same recommendation for 4 years; finally I realized I can not run from it any longer. The constant pressure, discomfort, and heavy bleeding is no longer tolerable.

Do what is best for you, but as mentioned this is a major surgery..it is important to discuss your options, the type of procedure, and check out the pros/cons for keeping your ovaries &/or cervix. Write it down and reference it during your discussion with your doctor.

Good luck!
Unread 08-31-2008, 07:54 AM

Well I cant say that I havent regretted getting a second opinion before I had mine done however I needed mine not because of fibroids but because of cancer so it wasnt a choice. You have to think about all your options. If your really feeling like your doctor just wants to do it just because and you feel there are other options then go with your heart. You have to live by how you feel. I dont think I would be so hasty to get a hysterectomy just because of fibroids.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register