2 Preop questions Bowel Prep and Swelly Belly Band? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 Preop questions Bowel Prep and Swelly Belly Band? 2 Preop questions Bowel Prep and Swelly Belly Band?

Unread 09-01-2008, 08:54 AM
2 Preop questions Bowel Prep and Swelly Belly Band?

Sorry I don't know all the abbreviations yet but I am scheduled for a hyster. on Oct 7th having it done vaginally taking about the uterus and cerivx.

The doc has ordered a bowl prep with magnesium citrate. I have heard from a coworker that it be pretty nasty. I had to do the prep on Sunday around 3-4 pm and then eat a light supper and on Monday be on a clear liquid diet. My co worker suggested I take Monday off b/c the bowl prep could still be causing many bathroom trips on Monday, what do you all think?

Also with my surgery being vaginal do you still suggest the Swelly Belly band or is that just for those having the surgery abdominally?

Oh, one other questions, is there a spot to find a list of the abbreviations?

I also wanted to say thank you to all of those how have contributed to all the wealth of information that is already on the board I have spent several hours of just reading already.

Sue Huls
surgery scheduled Oct 7th 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2008, 11:07 AM

since you can eat after you drink the mag citrate, i dont know if you'll still be going to the bathroom on monday. i could only have liquids after i drank it. you might want to take off just to be sure. i had liquids only on sunday, drink the mag citrate around 2:00 (sunday)..surgery on monday morning. the prep really isnt bad at all.
i didnt use a swelly belly band and never needed one after my lsh but i didnt have a vaginal hysterectomy.
good luck with your surgery
Unread 09-01-2008, 11:59 AM

Link to the abbreviations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2008, 09:51 PM

The day you do the bowelprep you wont want to go any ware at all except to your bathroom lol. drinking the stuff is a lil gross but use ginegerale to help ease the nausea and get the taste out . i loved the swelly belly band but i had a TAH so cant say for vagina one. lots of luck
hugs
lisa
Unread 09-02-2008, 07:26 AM

((( Sue )))
The bowel preps are'nt much fun but they are doable
I've found that having a glass of plain water handy for rinsing my mouth afterwards is helpful. They have always worked quickly for me but with a liquid diet everything goes through the system pretty fast, so staying near the bathroom is a good idea Remember to drink plenty so that you don't become dehydrated.

I had a tah but have heard that the Swelly Belly Band is nice for any kind of surgery.

S
Unread 09-02-2008, 09:14 AM

I am confused - I have not heard of doing a prep and then being allowed to eat after? Usually it's soft or liquid diet prior to the prep, prep and then nothing by mouth?
Unread 09-02-2008, 10:47 AM

The drink tastes kind of salty but I put it in the freezer fot about 5-10 minutes to get it really cold and that helped it go down easier. You really don't want to go anywhere after you drink this except the bathroom w/ your wet wipes and A&D ointment you will need them It's not that bad if you are prepared.
Spencer
Unread 09-06-2008, 05:47 AM

I would double check with the surgeon too about being able to eat after the bowel prep. It doesn't make sense that you get yourself all cleaned out and then eat more food. Kind of defeats the purpose.
Unread 09-06-2008, 09:51 AM

I had a TVH on Aug 28. I did not need the Swelly Belly Band. I did however, want the heating pad for my back!
Unread 09-06-2008, 03:02 PM

The others are right - normally, you do the prep and only have clear liquids after...from experience with past colonoscopy procedures. You might want to check to see if the instructions are correct.

While the stuff is pretty awful - it's kind of salty and (what I call) 'slippery' - it's doable with a lot of water on the side!

Good luck, but you'll be fine!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register