Input on camping week end-1 Week post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Input on camping week end-1 Week post op Input on camping week end-1 Week post op

Unread 09-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Input on camping week end-1 Week post op

I have had my LAVH a week ago today and here is my wonderings toughts right now...
We have an RV that is very comfortable and kept in a nice park only 20 minutes from home. My husband and I think it would be o.k. for us to go there this week end and spend some relaxing time with friends and family in a quiet way.

Here are the pros
-RV more then acceptable as it has a Queen size bed and all the aminities that I have here in a more compact version.

-Would still be catered to as I would be here but would benifit from the fresh air

-Could take short walks around the park

Cons

May regret having to come home Sunday...

yet I find myself hesitating and wondering if this trip is o.k. to take or should I play the invalid at home while feeling like a prisoner...
What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2008, 09:59 AM

I would check with my doctor just to be on safe side.
I guess it depends what was done in the surgery, how you feel , how long you will stay, and if you can get your sleep, and keep off your feet while being away from home and with friends.

I think it would be tempting to overdo and not get enough rest while out there in the camping mode.

s

Sue
Unread 09-04-2008, 10:17 AM

I would check with my doctor and get his/her advice. You don't have to be an invalid at home. Short walks are good, you could sit outside. Just be careful and listen to your body. Rest is good too. I know I needed lots of rest during my early weeks post op. I would think I was doing better, than I would get very tired.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2008, 10:18 AM
that is why it`s smart to post here

The sleep and relaxation would not be an issue as it is a very relaxing campground and since it is now considered end of the season, it`s even more quiet...

I totally understand the concern of maybe overdoing it.... My DH and DD are real strick with such and I may be o.k. but there is no guarentee I guess... The understanding is that if I find it to taxing , we come home right away.
Thanks for your input I will talk it over again with DH.
Unread 09-04-2008, 01:26 PM

I understand where you are coming from, as I am a full time RVer .. your most uncomfortable thing will be the ride for 20 minutes. Every time DH stops you will be scared to death, which actually puts stress on you. I could not get myself in and out of my bed until after week 2.

If you don't HAVE to go I wouldn't. You'll find yourself more tired than you imagine.
Unread 09-04-2008, 01:38 PM

i think its a great idea..it will be very relaxing and a nice change of scenery.
Unread 09-04-2008, 01:43 PM

Sounds good as long as you allow yourself to sleep and relax and DH and friends do everything.
My only concern was how much people are going to want to "keep you company" or "visit" - that you will quickly overdue yourself without realizing it.
Unread 09-04-2008, 03:08 PM
About the ride and a few other answers

Actually I have been out of bed since the second day as the LAVH performed is much easier on the body. I`ve also been in the car with my son driving everyday for errands .
As far as knowing when enough is enough and going to lie down, I am pretty good at this since I had to do most of the summer pre-op as I would be in so much pain I didn`t want to be around anyone and would just excuse myself. So i`m sure friends would understand ...
Unread 09-04-2008, 03:23 PM

It will be fine. Even 20 minutes in the car is nothing. Just don't carry anything.
Unread 09-04-2008, 08:28 PM

I'd say go for it. Getting away and relaxing will do you wonders. It doesn't sound like you are going to be doing anymore than you would be at home, and you will have a place to go rest right there. Good luck and have fun.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register