too much progesterone?? (Endometriosis and PCOS) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

too much progesterone??  (Endometriosis and PCOS) too much progesterone?? (Endometriosis and PCOS)

Unread 09-06-2008, 11:17 AM
too much progesterone?? (Endometriosis and PCOS)

Hi All,

I just posted a message on the achy hearts thread. I am so frustrated with continued PMS.

y hyst was 5 years ago, I am down to one ovary, and currently I have PMS for 3 to 5 days every 10 to 12 days. I do ok for about 6 to 7 days, then I wake up one morning with abdominal distention and fluid retention in my lower body. Everything fits tight on me from one day to the next and I mean baggy jeans one day fit snug the next day in my butt, thighs, and waist band. Actually I wear low rise pants only because my stomach expands so much I go from flat to looking like I am pregnant. I am sure most of you can relate. I stay that way for up to 5 days and during that time my emotions are UP and DOWN, I have intense anger, I feel like I can't get enough to eat, etc. If it was happening every 30 days it would be bad enough, but every 10 to 12 days is killing me. This has been going on for about 1 1/2 years now and the bio-identical hormone creams I have been on have not helped.

I was on a hormone cream specifically compounded for me and back then I had great energy, was able to maintain my weight, but was PMSing 3 days every 7 days. It was horrible. Every Thursday to Saturday it would happen. I stopped the cream for a while and in June went on a different cream prescribed by a different doctor. She added 5 mg DHEA, 2.5 mg testosterone, and 100 mg progesterone. I do that 11 days. Then for the next 14 days I add an additional 100 mg progesterone. At first I thought this was great because I was on a similar regimen in 2004 with sublingual progesterone, but I have been reading that women only need between 20 to 40 mg of progesterone in a cream because you absorb it more readily in a cream than a pill or sublingual.

I addressed this with my doc but she felt that information was outdated and kept my prescription the same. It just seems awfully high to me and since I don't really like or trust her I am looking for a new doctor.

I found <Oops! Doctor's name removed per website Guidelines.> in Franklin, TN. Anybody know anything about him by any chance or have first hand experience with doctors in the Nashville area that use bioidentical hormones?

I am really concerned that the progesterone might be too high but it is mixed in with the testosterone and if I reduce it then the testosterone will be reduced also.

Any information you can share with me - books, websites, personal experience, etc. is greatly appreciated. I have also been told that I have depression/brain chemistry imabalance causing the continued PMS and not the other way around, but I am really hesitant about going on an antidepressant.

Please help...I am PMSing and feel like I am going nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2008, 01:10 PM

Prov31 (love the name!)

I recommend "Screaming to Be Heard" by Dr Elizabeth Vliet and "Natural Hormone Balance" by Dr Uzzi Reiss. Those were the 2 most helpful books that I read. My Dr is also hyped up on progesterone. I am always butting heads with her. UGH! I don't take as much as she wants me to take. She isn't happy with it, but all she can do it fuss. LOL! Mine is not mixed with another hormone, though. It is not a good idea to mix hormones, but I am sure you already know that! I hope your new Dr works out! HUGS!!
Unread 09-06-2008, 01:23 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean it's not good to mix hormones? Mine are compounded into one cream. That's not a good thing to do?

So how much progesterone do you use? Do you take any testosterone?

I think I may give half the dose a try which would give me 50 mg progesterone and 1.25 mg testosterone. The 2.5 mg of testosterone seem high to me, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2008, 02:14 PM

Just adding my 2 cents here. I think that 2.5 mg. of testosterone every day is a lot considering that you have also added 5 mg. dhea and have been diagnosed with PCOS. I think your idea to cut the dose in half is a good one

I agree with CaJen about the book recommendations.
Unread 09-06-2008, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the feeback chloelynn. I am going to cut it in half starting tomorrow. My doc did have the DHEA taken out already and I should get the new prescription next week. Unfortunately they had already filled it when I called because I did want to ask them to put the testosterone and progesterone in separate creams so I can control it more easily.

I am not liking my doctor at all the more I think about it. she is not listening to me very well. I am on day 5 of PMS and still fighting intense hunger and sugar cravings. It's horrible and I am so swollen I can't stand it.

Sorry to vent - it's the PMS talking.
Unread 09-06-2008, 02:52 PM

Prov31,

I take between 10 and 20 mg of compounded progesterone cream every night. I am not on testosterone, just DHEA. My dr doesn't like testosterone. <Sigh> It is not a good idea to mix hormones into the same cream because it is hard to tweak one if you are getting too much or too little. I hope cutting your dose helps! Are you on any estrogen at all? Does your Dr do blood tests to see what hormones are low?
Unread 09-06-2008, 03:11 PM

Some of the side effects of excess progesterone are excess hunger,bloating, weight gain, fatigue, lack of energy, sweet cravings and depressed mood. I can only tolerate 10-20 mg. day of progesterone.

The thing to watch out for with progesterone cream is that it tends to build up in your tissues and can reside their for a long time. If that is the cause of your problems, it could take quite a while to get rid of this excess.
Unread 09-06-2008, 03:18 PM

hi there - she ran a blood test after i had been on the cream about 13 days. it showed the following:

testosterone 57 with normal range 14 to 76
progesterone 5.2
estradiol 76
estrogens total 87
DHEA 891 with normal range 110 to 554

i have been on estrogen once and felt even worse. despite having only one ovary and no uterus i still appear to be estrogen dominant.

and i have to say, when that blood test was taken i had been on this new cream a total of 13 days, i had been on the 200 mg progesterone dose for 8 days prior, and that morning i had used 100 mg progesterone, 10 mg, DHEA, and 2.5 mg testosterone. but that was in june and i think i may have been pretty deficient in progesterone. my conern is that my levels are now too high.

my doc is having me do a saliva test where you give a saliva samples on 11 different days over a 28 day period. you normally start counting with day one of your menstrual flow and since i don't have one i am just going by the cycles i am counting off.

do you use the progesterone cream every day or do you stop it for a few days each month?
Unread 09-06-2008, 04:28 PM

I still have a compounded hormone cream from my previous provider. She was a PA and insisted I needed Effexor to regulate my hormones. She said the reason I keep having PMS is because my brain chemistry is messed up.

Anyway, it has other stuff besides progesterone like pregnenelone, DHEA, l-glutamine, licorice root for adrenals, etc. but it only has 16 mg of progesterone per 1/4 teaspoon. I may go back on that one for a few days at 1/4 teaspoon a day, and then days 12 to 25 go on 1/4 teaspoon twice a day until I see this new doctor. It doesn't have any testosterone, but it has som DHEA so that should be good. I really wish they would have put them in separate syringes this time. Oh well...

So do you gals use your progesterone cream every day non-stop or take a break? What about the DHEA? Do you have PMS and if so, how frequent, how bad, and how long?
Unread 09-06-2008, 04:43 PM

My brain chemistry is also compromised since my hysterectomy. I still have one ovary but it doesn't seem to be functioning. For the most part, I feel pretty balanced. I cycle the progesterone cream for 10 days of the month and I use a Climara patch and a little testosterone. My doctor didn't prescribe the P so I use an otc cream. I do it to balance the E and I cycle because I don't want it to build up in my tissues.
If you are shopping for a new doc, have you considered an endocrinologist for your hormone replacement? If you decide to go that route, do your homework. My endocrinologist doesn't do Hrt. Maybe you could look for one specializing in PCOS.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register