14 days out and not feeling like I thought I would | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

14 days out and not feeling like I thought I would 14 days out and not feeling like I thought I would

Unread 09-08-2008, 04:10 PM
14 days out and not feeling like I thought I would

My surgery was 2 weeks ago today, they were able to do my surgery laproscopically, they took everthing but my ovaries. I also had a fiborid the size of a grapefruit taken out. My question is... I was told that by 3 weeks I would be back to normal. Well that is only a week away and unless I do alot of improving in a week that is not going to happen. My bellybutton and right below has been hurting constantly for the past 2 days. I am still constipated and have alot of gas. I am still taking pain pills at night. Drove my daughter to school today for the first time since DH had to go back to work. Is all this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2008, 04:19 PM

Hi there! Sweetie everyone is different. I've had lots of surgeries and each one the recovery was different. This has been the most major (besides my c sections which was "similar") and I recovered MUCH quicker this time and this is the one I fretted the most. I too had a lap surgery years ago and I recovered much slower with that one...so really can't say "just because" it was a lap it should be easier.
If you are still having to take pain meds at night, that could also be slowing down your bowels and causing gas. The pain meds in itself was what was holding me back from feeling good. I'd suggest trying to take extra strength motrin or something similar to see if that will do the trick. Also, with your doctors permission of course, try doing some light exercising...like walking, etc. I pushed myself incredibly hard....too hard...when I got home and it had its pros and cons. It made me feel sooo much better so much quicker BUT by the end of the day I was pooped. I'm a night owl so I normally stay up until 1am....lately here though I'm lucky if I get passed 8!!!
You're body will adjust and as it's healing you're still going to be punky. Just listen to your body and if you feel as though you aren't "there" yet, call your doctor..
Unread 09-08-2008, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will try the Motrin at night and see if that will work. I have been walking since everyone is telling me that will help with the gas. Unfortunately it is very hot so I do not feel like walking outside too much. My DH took me to the mall to walk this weekend and when I came home started running a fever and just didn't feel well. Don't know if it was from walkling or not. I go back for my checkup tomorrow morning so I will see what they say. Thank you again for the help. My DH found this site for me when I was an emotional wreck this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2008, 05:30 PM

Sounds like you have a great hubby :-) Take it easy and do what you can..listen to your body. If you were running a fever then slow it down. Might have been nothing but just your body overheating from activity but you never know!!!! Take one day at a time & good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register