Vaginal Vault Pap Costs | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Vault Pap Costs Vaginal Vault Pap Costs

Unread 09-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Vaginal Vault Pap Costs

I just got my first bill for the pap - post hyst... can you tell me what yours cost? They did it at an off- hospital site. Just a reg. doctor's office that my gyn/onc comes to once a month.. They sent it to the hosp. where I had my hyst. and the hospital charge was $472. and the path. reading was $472. for a total of 944.. (this doesn't include the doctor charge for seeing me). another 180. Am I goofy or is this normal??? My old paps used to cost about 150 total for everything (and aren't they looking for cancer then??)
Can someone tell me if this is reasonable?
I am trying to get an idea of how much flex-pay money I will need next year... At 4500 per ct scan and every three months that's 18000 and if I have to pay 1100 per pap that's another 4400.. That's 22,400 just for those two tests and doesn't include the blood work.
Thanks for letting me vent. The comment from my insurance was why do you care, you are at your limit... but every dollar they pay out reduces my lifetime maximum..
SO I CARE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Vaginal Vault Pap Costs

Oh shoot. I just forgot the name of the one pap that is more expensive. I forget the name of it! I'll be back. One thing I know is that it is more expensive, not sure why, I think because it is "new and improved" version, (so they say).
Unread 09-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Vaginal Vault Pap Costs

Okay... I'll be waiting... it didn't look any different (the equipment or the specimen tube) and being my age, I've seen a lot of them :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Vaginal Vault Pap Costs

I want to say it is called Clear Prep. I know there are some insurance companies that won't pay for it. And at my regular gyno's office they have a sign at the front desk stating they only use Clear Prep and that their insurance may not cover it. When I was diagnosed you better believe I researched that test, I was hoping against hope that there was a high flaw rate with it. LOL. Unfortunately it is supposed to be way better than the regular pap test.
Unread 09-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Vaginal Vault Pap Costs

Well my insurance paid for it... it just seemed like a lot of money and I didn't hear the words "Clear Prep." I just thought it seemed like an enormous amount of money compared to what I had paid before when I had a cervix.
Unread 09-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Vaginal Vault Pap Costs

Maybe you should've asked for a discount, on account your without a cervix, so that would mean less to test! LOL. It makes sense in my world! LOL
Unread 09-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Vaginal Vault Pap Costs

Sounds outrageous to me. Mine is called Thin Prep. It only costs about $90 in lab fees when it is out of pocket.
Unread 09-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Vaginal Vault Pap Costs

THAT IS IT! THIN PREP! I didn't know the cost, my insurance covers it. I just pay the $25 co-pay per office visit. I knew Prep was in the name.
Unread 09-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Vaginal Vault Pap Costs

patty, those costs for your pap sound very very high! and, yes, we should all be concerned about costs, even if insurance covers most of the cost, because bottomline, one way or another, someone is paying for our health care costs! a thin prep is more expensive than the older methods, but hopefully very few women have doctors using the older slide method which is considered less accurate and results in false negatives, thus missing problems that could be caught early. your costs shouldn't be much different before or after hysterectomy, and any differences would be a result of the doctor/hospital charges. perhaps they're doing additional testing along with the pap? hpv testing for instance? other std testing? still, it sounds very high. a pap test is a pap test, regardless of whether the smear is from the cervix or the vagina or 'where ever'. i would ask more questions of the billing department!
Unread 09-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Vaginal Vault Pap Costs

another thought is that i'm wondering if you're having a colposcopy along with the pap test? if so, then that would significantly increase your costs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register