50 yrs old one ovary ?hormone issues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

50 yrs old one ovary ?hormone issues 50 yrs old one ovary ?hormone issues

Unread 09-10-2008, 07:54 AM
50 yrs old one ovary ?hormone issues

Hey sisters! I don't know if anyone is mid-life, but I am wondering with one remaining ovary at 50 years of age how can I tell if my emotions are due to hormone fluctuations, or just "cabin fever" normal post op. I have one ovary (multiple cysts), polyps removed, and an alation one year back. Aug. 21 I had a TVH (lap assisted). Today I feel jittery, and tearful. I'm not sure how to discern the "root" of this. Thanks for any input you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2008, 09:27 AM

Hi listen2
I had my hyst when I was 51. I was able to keep both ovaries, but I knew I was experiencing perimenopause before my surgery and afterward I began to experience increased menopausal symptoms.

We are all different, but I think you need to consider it a real possibility that your body is having some hormonal fluctuations. It sure sounds like it from what you are describing here. This could be a natural progression because you have just reached this time of life or it could also be in response to the trauma of surgery to this one ovary.

Being only 3 wks post op you could be experiencing some of this temporarily. I know my ovaries went into shock right after surgery and I experienced some pretty severe hot flashes, brain fog and emotional ups and downs. It leveled out after a few weeks and was much better. I eventually had my hormone levels tested and it was confirmed that my body was heading toward menopause. I began using a bioidentical hrt and it has made a huge difference for me. I'm using the Vivelle Dot and it keeps me evenly tempered and helps with my concentration and all the emotions that seem to want to control me when I forget to change the patch.

You should give this some more time to see if your ovary will kick back in and do the job for you. Back away from stress and treat yourself to a lot of TLC right now. The emotions are pretty normal for a few weeks. You can talk to your dr about this and might want to begin reading and thinking about how you want to handle it if the symptoms are here to stay even to a lesser degree, like mine were. Your dr can do a simple blood test to check your hormone levels if the problems persist.

I wish you well and hope you get to feeling better soon. Your body is still healing and adjusting so don't panic. Keep us posted on your progress.
's, Rita
Unread 09-10-2008, 12:59 PM

I had my hyster at 51 and am 4wks post op ....I had a TAH/BSO at this point i don't know where Iam at as far as the menopause as before surgery I know I was warm alot and sweaty whatever i did.... and would wake up at night alot with being sweaty but since surgery I haven't been real hot or sweaty I don't know if it is because I haven't been into any heavy duty work or what is going on or will it hit one day WHAM ...before I was depressed alot I have had some emotionaly breaks since surgery but haven't felt the heavy depression as of yet....so Iam wondering if this will all come back heavy one day or am I done or what ?? Is my body in shock and wake up again ? Hopefully its over :~).....Would be interested too to hear from other mid- life hysters with no ovaries......scary sometimes to think of having no hormones ....my sister had ovarian cancer so I would prefer to stay away from any hormone replacements if possible....... I will have my 6wk check on the 24th so will probably talk to doctor about it all ....sometimes I feel I haven't faced life yet since surgery....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2008, 01:08 PM

I had mine done 20 days ago, a LSH and I kept both ovaries. I'm 50 too. A couple of days ago I was feeling majorly depressed and on the verge of tears. So I started a thread about it here. Thankfully some nice ladies wrote back letting me know that this was a pretty normal thing!! The surgery itself can make you depressed and by golly if you're worried about anything, that will surely add to it too!
Today, things are better. Not great but better! I hope you feel better soon too!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register